Hi Everyone.
Has anyone tried Methotrexate for AU? I have been on DPCP for almost a year and had no real success. This is something new with an apparent 50-50 chance for AU.

Views: 8764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dana. My daughter did the whole MTX/ pred course (plus plaquenil!) and eyebrow injections. She got the indentations as well. The pitting went away/filled back in after she stopped the injxns so it was not permanent. Good luck. :)

did the treatment work for your daughter?

Hi Everyone,

So, how is everyone doing? I had my doc appointment and he is keeping me on the 20 mg/ week dose and said I don't need to do my bloods as often because they came back perfect. I still have my random long white hairs but nothing growing as quickly. I am still tired and had to decline from my marathon registration this year as I can't train at the same level as before. Anyone have more re-growth??

I am on my 12th dose and no hair =( little tiny tiny fuzz on my face (not where I want it) I still only take 6 pills once a week and folic acid daily. No eyebrow growth or eyelashes or hair =( My eyes are very sore, dry and red I think this is the AU though. Any thoughts?
Remember mine is prescribed by my GI doctors for the Crohns/UC not for AU.

Hey guys,

Well I'm doing okay still on 20 mg/ week my blood is good. I've had to stop injections into my eyebrows due to indents I was starting to get this has since resolved it's self but I won't be having anymore as this will continue to occur :(
I also have not had anymore new growth since last report bummer :(( but I'll continue with treatment for now although I too suffer with fatigue headaches and bad acid reflux. Yes, Kim my eyes are red and sore too not sure what that means either. I'm also taking this med for my RA. Take care everyone!

I have big issues with dry eyes (red and sore) and am not taking methotrexate (I wondered if methotrexate would help dry eye, but doesn't sound that way!). Dry eye is well known to be associated with auto-immune disorders. Probably many of us have a few auto-immune things happening along with alopecia.

I now use Restasis for my dry eye and it seems to have helped (though took about 6 months to kick in...). Am also pursuing lots of other treatments/solutions. If anyone is interested to discuss then just write. I feel I am becoming quite an expert :-(

Hello all

Might I ask ..... Can we have a hands-up for anybody following this thread who is taking methotrexate and has seen any meaningful regrowth results ?

Curiously the following study has now got my interest and I will check back-in once it's completed: Link: Vytorin in the Treatment of Alopecia Areata

Seems like it might be a little bit less harsh on the body than methotrexate.

I have been on it since Feb 2012 and I have AU: white mini's all on my legs, arms and few new eyelashes. Also have my whole head covered in white mini's... with about 30 or so that are about 10- 15 cm long. Only a couple are actually black, but yes slow and steady I am getting hair back. And having AU (totally lost EVERYTHING) the fact I have on my legs and arms is also really promising.
But again, they are white, mini and grow at a snail-rate pace.

Thanks for the update Tam. I spoke to my doctor about a trial with methotrexate but he is reluctant to prescribe it due to AU alone not being serious enough to warrent its use.

Good news on the hair regrowth on the arms and legs. That is a good sign.

I wondered did you find small hairs on your face first because that is what I am finding and small random white hairs here and there on my arms. I am now on 8 pills once a week and a folic acid pill everyday.

Hi Kim
Yes I had mini hairs on my arms but none on my face... but randomly I do still wax my moustache(to get personal...) haha

I am glad this study is underway. Thanks for letting us know about it.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service