Hi Everyone.
Has anyone tried Methotrexate for AU? I have been on DPCP for almost a year and had no real success. This is something new with an apparent 50-50 chance for AU.

Views: 8764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My dr's lab discovered MTX for psoriasis. Before taking it he said don't be too optimistic!
I feel much better since i have stopped taking it.
Now someone told me STEMTECH is good for hair growth. i want to try it.
Google it and u will see.

How long were you on Metho for??

Hi there- Yes I have been on pills for 6-months and now injections for 3 months. I have new regrowth all white hairs on my head and some new eyelashes too. So I think it works. But it is terribly hard on the body and I want to start having children too... did you have to wait 3-mo before trying?

Hi everybody!
Just wanted to check in and see if anybody has new updates on methotrexate.
I've been on it for about 10 months (last two months have been upped to 10 pills/week), and recently also started taking a low dose of prednisone. Since the beginning of December I've little white hairs over about 80-90% of my head, which have recently turned dark. I've got moderate eyebrows coming in, no eyelashes unfortunately, and also no hair anywhere else on my body yet (which i'm fine with ;). I haven't had terrible nausea, but i often do get bad headache/general fatigue 2-3 days after my weekly dose.
One thing I thought was interesting in the french study is that they seemed to find a significant correlation between lower body weight and the efficacy of mtx, so i'm trying to take off about 15 lbs to get down to the weight range of the people who had the best results in the study. I'd be curious to know if anybody else here has experienced any difference in terms of better results with higher or lower body weight?

Update..I have decided to discontinue treatment with methotrexate due to the fact I did not grow my hair back but more importanly for me it was not controlling my RA at all. Also, I had a very difficult time with side effects on this drug.
I wish everyone well here.....Dana

I got terrible side effects from Meth. (exhaustion, huge appetite etc)
So i stopped taking it after 4 weeks.
Are there lots of you out there who recommend it highly?
s

Hello. I had wonderful results with a methotrexate/prednisone combo. Three years ago, I had lost well over half my hair, and then I started methotrexate. It took a few months to start working, but it worked very, very well for me. I regrew all of my hair, and I looked great. I was on it until October, when I was taken off it cold turkey. Within two weeks, all of my hair fell out. It was devastating--nothing like this had happened since I was a little girl. After seeing a new doctor, I started methotrexate again three weeks ago. I am praying it works again, though I was starting from a better place before as I still only had AA rather than AU. If anyone else knows of a medicine that's more effective than methotrexate, please let me know. I would try almost anything.

Hey there

Anybody still on methotrexate? I'm on it, getting somewhere but just curious whether it'll fall out for not...

Cheerio!

I've been on methotrexate for around 5 months and my have had regrowth of all my patches, even the ones that i'd had for years. Took about 3 months to start to see regrowth. Before mtx i had probably lost 40-50% of my hair and was almost at the point of wearing a wig again. (lost more than 50% some years ago and wore a wig for a couple of years before it all regrew about a yr after i stopped using topical steroids on my severe full body eczema. The eczema came back and hair started to fall out again and so started on mtx for both conditions. I suspect if/when i stop mtx it will probably all relaps though.

I've been on methotrexate for about 8 months now (since early December of 2015). I have very good hair growth - but today at my dermo, he found three new spots, in places that had already regrown hair, so I'm making progress backwards, it seems. I take 15mg/week and have for some time (since about March, stepping up my dose every few weeks.)

While I have most of my hair - I have a ring around my hairline in the front, sides and bottom - and now these three new patches along my crown (which I knew were coming, I had the tingly/numb scalp about 4 weeks ago.) I had those injected with Kenalog today, and will continue to monitor it.

If it helps, I can probably post some photos of before and after (so far.)

Hi,

Has anyone used methotrexate for FFA with any success?

Also, it seems that the side effects are pretty bad, so is it really worth it?

I think the side effects depend on each person. I just started MTX but for RA, and since I have AU, I'm waiting to see what happens.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service