You've heard of the "Great American Smoke Out" - the day when everyone is encouraged to stop smoking for just one day?

What if, for ONE day, all the bald women in this country (or whatever country you live in) came out in public with nothing on their heads? Imagine the effect! People wouldn't be able to assume that every bald woman they see has cancer. Bald women would become non-remarkable very quickly, just as bald men have. Women like me and other members of AW, who already go out in public bald, would instantly stop feeling so alone.

I'm thinking of making a YouTube video and setting a date for sometime during the summer (when it's warm everywhere). If I picked a date - say a Saturday in July - and put up a YouTube video now urging all bald women to join in on a National Bald Out THAT day, would any of you who don't currently go out in public bald do it for that one day?

Maybe we could get a news service "flash" out there and get TV and print media to pick up on the story! Anyone know how to do that?

I don't know what category to put this in...it's about society, and acceptance, and news, and promoting awareness...so, I'll just put it in Bald is Beautiful, and hope you all see it.

Please share this with other friends on AW and respond - YES OR NO...would you join in?

April 29
HERE WE GO! I just put the video on YouTube. You can find it under the title "Announcing the National Bald Out!", or at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXxBKwi-1lw

I hope you all like it! Thank you to everyone for their comments and suggestions as to the content, and special thanks to the lovely ladies who allowed me to use their photos at the end of the video. I think that adds a lot.

On the Bald Girls Do Lunch site, www.baldgirlsdolunch.org, there are some absolutely amazing T-shirts, buttons, banners...and loads of other fun items with two different National Bald Out logo designs, as well as a great one that says "Bald? So What!" I LOVE IT! Thanks so much, Thea! To view the items, click on "Logo Products", then click on "Bald Out July 19". Remember - 100% of proceeds fund the BGDL nonprofit's national outreach to women with alopecia areata, so your purchase of a National Bald Out T-shirt (or other item) will directly benefit women with alopecia.

The next step is for everyone to join the newly-created Alopecia World group "National Bald Out". Until we get the Group up on the Home Page, you can go to this link to join:

www.alopeciaworld.net/group/nationalbaldout

A big Thank You to rj for all his help!

I'll be posting more soon on the National Bald Out group.

► Reply to This

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can create an event, and make it global. You can invite people and they can invite people and so on and so on. And the people who are going can take part can indicate that so that you have an idea of how mnay people will be participating. I think this is an awesome idea Mary, not facebook, but the National Bald Out in general. :)
Thanks, Amanda!
Hi Amanda,

I'm going to be uploading the video to YouTube very soon, and there will be a new discussion group on AW that will, I hope, serve as a way for women all over the planet to organize events for July 19. I will want to put the event on Facebook...if I have any questions about how to do that, I'll let you know!

Stay tuned!
Mary
Great idea. Can I join if I am not completely bald? The injections given every 6 weeks have resulted in a fine regrowth but I do not expect my hair to stay after the treatment is stopped. Anyone in Montreal ready to take part?

Marie-Claire
Yes, of course! I think the idea is to help and encourage people (mostly women) who feel they have to hide their hair loss to experience the freedom of going uncovered, and to raise public awareness. Part of public awareness is that women can be partially bald, too. Whatever stage anyone is at...however much or little hair, this about liberation and being visible to the non-alopecian population.
Count me in!!!!
THANKS so much to everyone who has responded so far!

Great suggestions: I like the idea of regional organization, T-shirts, Facebook, and local gatherings. It might definitely make more of an impact to have people gathered together, and might make it easier for some "first-timers".

GUYS: I don't want all our alopecian brothers out there to feel that I'm excluding you if I refer to women mostly. I know you face your own challenges with alopecia. It's just that so many men are already bald in public, and no one asks them if they have cancer, or looks twice at them.

Let's keep spreading the word and sharing ideas.

Mary
Its a great idea. I would be a little chicken myself to do it but you know maybe that is what we need to give us the confidence. If everyone else was then maybe I would to? Its a great idea and I support you in your efforts.
yes
My daughter and I go out without hair every day everywhere. Mine by choice hers because of Alopecia. Let us know when and where and if there are Tshirts even better.
I think this is an awesome idea! If everybody could go to their local newspaper and have an artical run locally, that would help also. I would be willing to do that in my town, as small as it is a lot of people do read it. I'd be more than willing to promote this effort! GGGOOOOO MMMAAARRRYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES!!! Local papers and TV news would be essential. The whole idea is to get those women who are in the hair closet OUT, even just for a day, and help them feel comfortable taking the step in company with others who look like they do.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service