Hi all, I found this site today and joined immediately.
Looking for any advice you have. I noticed four months ago that I was shedding more hair than normal. About 3 weeks later went for a trim and my hair dresser asked me about the patch on my head. Needless to say, that started this journey. I immediately went to the doctor and dermatologist and diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. It started with two patches on the top/back of my scalp, they grew and joined together so the whole crown area was a loss. I've been doing the injections and Rogaine and have some new growth in those original patches, but now there are two new patches on the back of my head. My hair has really thinned overall, but so far it only appears to be my scalp 4 months into this.

I've been working with a nutritionist and have gone gluten-free, taking vitamins including Biotin, and Iron and Vit D which blood work showed I was low on. I've been wearing hats all the time for about two months now.

Does anyone have any advice on dietary or vitamin regimens that help this? I do have seasonal allergies and asthma but have treated those my whole life, shots as a kid, but just OTC meds today. I do take Singulair for the Asthma.

I'm healthy, happy and reasonable fulfilled in life and find this to be disappointing and inconvenient...I'm realistic, but would love some first hand knowledge.

I guess I'm prepared for a year or so of shedding, is that correct?

Any advice is appreciated!!

Views: 2875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Molly, I'm new here too and new to the whole Alopecia thing. I see you've gone gluten free too is that because you also have Celiac? I'm 52 and this has all come upon me within the last year. You can't tell by looking at me that I have Alopecia. I'm losing my hair around or near my ears and in the back lower portion of my head. Itches like crazy. I found the only thing that really makes it better is Benadryl which has become a daily thing for me when the itch is present. I too am interested in any information anyone has to help with the process. Good luck on your journey :)

Hi Brenda,
you look fantastic! I'm 47 and have been dealing with this for about 10 months now. The original bald spots are growing in for me, but new patches keep popping up on the back of my head, the sides are really thin, but not patchy, and it is filling in on my left side so I'm hoping the right side will fill in too. I went gluten-free last Nov not for Celiacs, but for general overall feeling better. I find that I just don't like to eat because I tend to feel bloated, overfilled and just plain yucky...so I stick with fruits, vegetables, proteins and lost the grains, dairy and sugar. I feel SOOO much better overall and lost 10lbs with out trying...the hardest thing to give up was beer-yes it's a grain!

I've been doing the steroid injections (once a month), cortisone gel, rogaine, diet, exercise, I even tried acupuncture (no success on the hair loss, but my back feels great), herbal oils, hair support shampoo (keep your scalp clean so the pores don't clog with oil and debris to allow for growth). I feel like I've tried so many things and I don't know if any one of them is working, or if it's just the process, but I do have new growth even though I'm still shedding like crazy. for AA, i can only recommend patience, confidence in who you are (your hair does not define you!) and support from family and friends...be honest and tell them what's happening and how you feel about it. It feels better to share than to keep it bottled up. When they say, "well stop stressing so much..." you can tell them it's an auto-immune disease and not stress! You don't want their sympathy, just their support. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing - there is so much support here, I was very happy to have found this site filled with beautiful women and men with the various forms of this condition. It's been inspiring!

Hi Molly, thanks. That picture is a couple years old.. I will need to post a newer version. I've cut my hair much shorter with the hair loss at the back of my head the longer hair was just not working anymore. I wonder why my doctors aren't doing anything to help me grow my hair back. I'm really starting to wonder about my doctors all together. All my Derme did was pull random hairs from the loss spots and did something to see if the hair would curl and since it curled he felt my hair would grow back. I'm trying to be patient to see if he is correct since I was malnourished for over a year until my doctors finally realized I wasn't anorexic and stressing out over things. It's hard talking to my family about my situation and yes they all tell me to stop stressing and of course I keep telling them that's not the case and it seems like my daughter, who's 30 years old, (who was diagnosed first and the only reason I finally got a diagnosis myself) doesn't want to talk with me about my situation and I think maybe it's because she's afraid that if she got Celiac from me she could also get Alopecia which I understand completely. That's why I'm glad I have all of you here because I too need comfort. Thanks for the advise I really appreciate it. :)

Have you tried organic shampoo? Tea tree and biotin enriched? it helped my itchy, sensitive scalp...

what! rogain actually works
no it can't?
cos then no 1 would have to worry about hair loss
perhaps it works just for some?
any1??????

Hi Sera,
I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but I think Rogaine is working for me.. but it takes time, 2 - 3 months to see results. The goal is to irritate the hair follicles, stimulating them so they get active again. Walmart has a generic version of it, same formula but only $25 for three bottles. that's about two month's worth for me. Good luck with your journey!

Rogaine works for about 40% of women. It worked for me for years and I had very thin hair most of my life. When I used Rogaine it was the best my hair ever was. Unfortunately after about 8 years, I developed an allergy to Rogaine and had to stop using it. It took only two months for most of my hair to fall out...the new hair and my old hair. So clearly it works on keeping hair and growing new hair.

I'd worry about all this, but especially the impairment of fertility with Rogaine:

Rogaine Warnings and Precautions
www.propecia-pharmacy.com/rogaine-warnings-and-precautions.html
Before starting on Rogaine the patient should have a healthy, normal scalp. Although extensive use ... Carcinogenicity, Mutagenicity and Impairment of Fertility ...

Over the pass few months my hair have bin coming out more and more, each time I comb a large handful comes out. Seeing the hair come out is very difficult but what is even more difficult is the pain. Combing my hair have become so very painful I dread combing it. I'm seriously considering shaving off what is left(not much)just because of the pain(I'm wearing a wig in picture) Can anyone tell me what if any problems with shaving off all the hair. I'm no longer attached to my hair anymore I made peace with it being what it is about 7 years ago and have bin wearing wigs. My only fear of shaving is that I may go into a panic attack after I do it. What is left is pretty crappy but it is there. Please let me know your experience with shaving your head for the first time, thanks, Donna

I am not sure if you are aware that Rogaine is a treatment that requires continual use in order to maintain any new hair you've gained. I was experiencing extreme shedding of my hair. I have been taking a natural herb (2 per day) for hair called Stimulair for 2 months. I can truly say the hair shedding has stopped. Check it out online.

I am also about 4 months into my diagnosis of AA and have also went G/Free.... I feel your pain! I have also eliminated inflammatory foods (look into the connection) from my diet and am experiencing white hair regrowth since I changed my diet, etc...I would try a tea tree shampoo or biotin enriched organic shampoo/ conditioner. It couldn't hurt, I started using one a few days ago and my scalp feels less sensitive and less irritated where the regrowth is! Good luck

Hi, I had my first experience with alopecia after mono in high school. I never had it again UNTIL I was 45. At this time my beloved aunt had died of cancer, and I was taking care of her with my mother, caring for my two young children, and teaching. I didn't really notice periomenopause. I think I was too stressed to realize it. The two large patches I had reversed with steriod shots after 6 mths. It occurred again when I was 47, and again was corrected with the shots. I am now 49, and have been in menopause for 1 year. I think the stress triggered my Alopeica, and the death of my aunt was the perfect storm. I also found out recently that my other aunt had a similar thing happen to her in her mid-forties. Don't get disheartened, it can make it all worse by worrying. I just told my students the truth, and told them I was very healthy. They were wonderful to me, and asked good questions. I am not saying I wasn't upset or sad about my hair. Actually, I have always felt that my hair was one of my best features. I have realized though that this doesn't matter so much. What does matter is how you feel about yourself and your relationships with others. Live life each day with joy, and try not to think too much about it. I really think that you will be able to see some results with all of your treatment. This is also a great site and so many beautiful people. I highly recommend visiting here so you know you are not alone. All the best you. Keep us posted.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service