Hello Lovies,

I'm new here and decided to tell my story about Alopecia. About 2 weeks ago after working out my son points to the side of my high ponytail and says, "Uh Mom, you have a bald spot." I just assumed it was the way I had my hair up or something up until I walked by a mirror and there it was, a bald spot almost 2 inches around! I was in shock! Called in my Husband to see and immediatley started Googling (I Google everything). After a few websites I broke down in tears thinking that this what it, my hair was going to fall out, end of story! Two weeks have passed and I went to the Dermatologist and it seems like both Docs I saw were just so non-chalant about it. "Oh yes, looks like you have Alopecia and it's treatable." I told him how my scalp has this slight burning feeling so he ordered a Biopsy to be done and put me on Prednisone for a few weeks. Since then I have found several more spots (mostly small) and I'm losing so much hair that my hair seems so much thinner from the long thick hair I used to have. I feel hopeless, my hair won't stop falling out to where I'm so scared to wash it, brush it, handle it, etc...Has anyone else had SO much hair fall out constantly? I'm not sure if ALL this hair is from the bald spots getting bigger or if I'm losing hair all over. I'm lucky enough to hide my spots right now but if they get any bigger I'm not too sure I will be able to. I'm already looking into hair pieces. =(

Anyways, I joined this site for support and for info from people actually dealing with this disease. I don't know too much about this disease other than the vague info my Derm told me and some websites that freaked me out. Hopefully this will pass and "run it's course" like my Doc says. (((Praying)))

Hope you all have a great day! :)

~*~Mel~*~

Views: 453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I'm 17, and I was diagnosed about a month ago, and the bald patch on the top of my head that was once about 2 inches across, is now 5-6 inches in diameter. I've been losing handful upon handful of hair per day, mostly in concentrated areas. I would assume that the hair loss you are experiencing is in specific areas, not all over. I definitely know how doctors can be. Since they see people everyday, many of whom experience these conditions far worse than we do, it's easy for them to grow jaded or seem less supportive. I came here for that (support), too. Also, dermatologists focus solely on the skin, and thus tend to focus on solutions that relate to the skin alone. I think a more holistic approach is important, too. I've been taking more iron and vitamins, adjusting my diet, and trying to reduce stress. I wish you the best of luck! Never give up, and most importantly, never forget that a lack of hair does not make you any less beautiful!

I had noticed my hair falling out by the bunches. I had severe alopecia about 3 years ago and my hair grew back within time. However, it is thinner than ever. I was worried the alopecia would come back again leaving me with tiny bald patches. I was willing to try anything that would ease my hair loss/thinning. I have been using ArganLife Hair Products ( you should google it ) for about a week now. I have to say I am liking the results.I found this product from youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJUrQ4eEFPU

Hey Mel!

I too very recently found my bald spot, 3 weeks ago! right at the back of the head...i never knew it was there until someone else pointed it out!

I too, like you googled the tears out of me. It just seems like it's one of those things that we don't know too much about. The doctor I saw had the same shoulder-shrugging-nothing-to-it reaction...which by the way really pisses me off and gives me the urge to run a razor in the middle of their head...just to make them understand.. THERE IS SOMETHING TO IT! It's called SHOCK genius! lol

From what I've read and the people i've spoken to on this site, it seems like stress of some kind (physical or mental) tends to trigger it, although for a small % there is no clear trigger. Some people lost a loved one suddenly. Some changed something in their lifestyle.

For me, I has just started night shift 3 months ago, which led to not eating right, not getting proper sleep. And stress at work.

So, since the medical world wasnt very helpful I decided to take in all that I read and all sorts of suggestions and mashed them up! Result: this week I noticed fuzz! YES!!!

Here's what i did: identified the source of stress (night shift) and eliminated it (went back to days lol). Applied some castor oil to the spot (only did this once so far...will try to do it more often) Started meditating, and telling myself that I am in charge, that I control what signals i send to my body, just like I move my hands, it is a part of my brain that controls the rest of me so why not try to talk to my subconscious self which controls my immune system? So I literally started telling myself to grow hair during meditation. I know it sounds cooky lol but hey at worst case, the meditation will leave you relaxed and lower the anxiety you feel..and hey maybe just this is enough to help you not spiral into feeling worse and worse, right? so why not try it ;-) Especially if it is stress, getting more stressed will not help and could lead to more hair falling as some websites suggest.

So just breathe in through your nose....and ou through your mouth.....reeelllaaaaxxxx...sit in your backyard and close your eyes...imagine your happy place..a beach...the mountains...listen to the sounds of nature around you and just let that stress get washed away by the wind and the water

:-)

I was very similar as you. I noticed a 2" patch but since I had a huge amount of curly hair, I didn't freak. I thought maybe I burnt my scalp or something... but four days later (Christmas eve) I had three more. Ok now I need a doc. So went and saw one who was very forthcoming and sweet and gave me info on NAAF. I didn't freak with the shots, the steroids and shampoo's and the drops for my scalp. The more the merrier and better chance of it stopping right? Nope. In three weeks I lost 60% of my hair. At 40% I got my waist length hair cut to above my shoulders by a friend. Then I had my husband shave it 4 days later. I kept up with the shots and other meds. Tried some new ones, but I felt ok. The falling out in clumps was the hardest part for me. When I shaved it I felt so much better. No more mental and emotional trauma. All I had to deal with was being bald. So... i'm bald. Whew! Now that that's over with!!

I think its easier if you don't hide. I told my friends and family right off. Secrets made are hard to keep. This way we all cried and stuff together. I never felt alone. My kids and spouse were very supportive and it made it easier for them to support me since I wasn't an emotional wreck anymore. Its been 6 months and now I have a full head of hair again. Its like a pixie cut. Except yesterday my son (10) hugged me and told me I have two new spots on the back of my head. I just smiled and asked him if I needed to shave again would he want to be the one to shave it. He just smiled and told me I could rock a Mohawk.

Just breath. Its different for everyone. Find another doctor if you don't get the support you need. I lucked out that mine is actually on the NAAF board. Contact them and get a recommendation of a doc in your area. I drive an hour for mine. Find a group for support. Talk about it. Get the tests done. Change the unhealthy and stressful things in your life. Mines hereditary ( I've found out) and I'm one of those weird optimists, so only thing I stress about is my little ones having it. Just remember, you'll survive, and this can make you stronger.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service