I have had AA for a little over a year and have had some regrowth, but even more loss. Right now I have to wear a hat in public, because I am not comfortable with people looking at my patchy balding head. I originally thought the AA was caused by celexa, a SSRI for depression and anxiety I took for 5 years. I decided to stop taking it to see if it would help. No change. I then began injections of corticosteroids from a dermatologist. 6 months later some regrowth, more falling out and now fingertip sized dents all over scalp. Apparently some of dermis atrophying, a potential side effect of injections.
So I switched doctors because of insurance and she thinks I should take oral steroids for 1 month (tapered.) I am wary of the side effects and wonder if it is worth it. I suppose it might be worth trying it for one month, and quitting if side effects are bothersome.
I ordered a wig, and have cabuki,powders, rogaine, extensions, etc. I just want my hair back. Has anyone found a solution? Do naturopaths or acupuncture help? I am willing to try anything, (well almost).

Views: 1729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you would have to talk to a doctor about that. Mine told me it was okay to use the 5%. But I don't know about for a 12 year old.

I've seen several instances were women not only used 5% but were prescribed that by their derms. It may not react well with every woman however, and im sure that's why it's generally not recommended by the pharmaceuticals. (To avoid lawsuits). As for your daughter, i would seek approval from a derm first. considering how young she is.

The dents should go away. I believe mine took like 3-4 months, but they did go back to normal.

Well, a few things on the oral steroids. It depends on the person, but I would not recommend. I did not like them at all. I was very emotional and I had issues after eating. My heart would race like I just ran a mile. It was horrible. If you DO try it, just know that you can't quit cold turkey. My doctor told me to do so after a week and I honestly thought I was going to die. Holy withdrawals. Be sure to tapper yourself off, even if they say you don't need to.

I'm with you Sunflower25 about Prednisone. Can't wait to get off it for my poison ivy, but the dr. has given me instructions how to "taper" off and not quit cold turkey.

They can also raise intraocular pressure and cause glaucoma!

When I was 18 (0ver 30 years ago) my dermatologist put me on prednisone. I was completely bald at the time and it did grow my hair back. When he was ready to finally take me off of the prednisone I was refered to an endocrinologist and it was determined at that time that my adrenal glands were shot and I was dependant on the steroids. So 30 years later I am still taking a maintainance steroid, I have addrenal insufficiency and am AU. I realize that Dr.s know a lot more about steroid use and how they affect the body then they did back then, but I wish it was one drug that I never would of started taking. If it is something you are doing or are thinking of doing just be very very careful.

Well i'm almost done with my doses of Prednisone. I was only on it for about 2 weeks. 1 week of 60mg per day and tapered down the following week. No hair growth. The most disturbing side effect was the sleeplessness. I understand the drug also causes weight gain. I had to go on a special diet these two weeks to make sure that didn't happen. Overall, i don't think i would like to use this drug again. Alopecia or not. Hope it works for someone else.

I am on day 6 of prednisone. 40mg for 7 day-30mg- 7 day- 20mg 7 day 10 mg 7 day tapered dosage. I feel pretty normal, a little restless. I have sinus pressure too. I haven't noticed any hair growth yet. Finally decided to try Prednisone after discussing with my primary care doctor.
I am going to get acupuncture next week too. I heard it worked for someone I know. (even though I know her hair might of just randomly grown back while she happened to be getting acupuncture.) Love my new top piece. It was 100 degrees today and it really didn't bother me at all. Love not wearing a hat!

Hi Rose. I am starting on Prednisone, after much deliberation, next week. Keep us updated on your progress, side effects, etc.

Just started Prednisone last week - 50mg for 7 days; 40mg 7 days; 30mg 7 days continuing with a 10mg taper each week. I am also taking Methotrexate 20mgs once a week. So far, no side effects at all. Keeping fingers crossed for signs of regrowth, I know it is too early yet, but I do think my hair does not come out as much (what little there is).

Well.. I'm also on oral steroids right now. I take some small amounts though. Only 4mg per day for 8 weeks. So the risk of the side effects is much lower. It depends on the amounts of the steroid you take. Don't be afraid of the side effects, if it was too risky, i would be prohibited ;) I lost 60-70% of my hair, so I hope it's going to work. Wish me luck :)

well Alex that dose Is very small. i hope its enough to be effective. Heres wishing you all the luck in the world. please come back and let us know how it goes. :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service