Hi,
I have been watching Crowned Regals videos and visiting her web site. Shes a great lady who is as real as they come. I shaved my head three days ago, didn't cry much, but the thought of getting a wig is very emotional, just wondering if anyone else has felt this way. I know that CR felt this way. I have been noticing that this seems to be a hard step. I wear scarves that I am making myself and wear a nike skull cap underthem.

Thanks
Eileen

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chris,
So glad you were able to read and post on this topic it turned out to be helpful to a lot of us. yes don't ever underestimate the power of women.
Weird experience in the store for me today, I was shopping for a birthday gift for a friend when a guy again followed me and wanted to know if he could help me. So many people think we have cancer. I wore a little cap that covered everthing but high on the back of the neck, so you can see I don't have hair. Anyway I guess this will take a little getting use too.

Hugs

Eileen
Today I called Stanford Dermatology clinic and cancelled my follow-up appointment. No more cortisone shots for me (afterward the shots I strangely felt like playing baseball...) and no more obsessing about this. Since my first visit with all the shots, the patches have gotten bigger. I am tired of thinking about it and spending my energy on it. SO...I am taking action. No treatment, will try an internal cleanse and good diet. Oh, and I have a ton of hats because luckily I've ALWAYS loved hats. I have straw ones, and cowboy ones and velvet ones and knit ones. And I just bought a wig, following tips from the wonderful women here. I bought a mono cap,short bob in a reddish dark brown. I think it will be fun. I will proabably shave my head in the future...but right now I'm too busy with my daughter going back to school and my husband's retirement party this weekend. Anyway, it's all good. Is this sick? I'm actually enjoying this adventure!
Hi Nants,

Congratulations! You've taken a step toward NOT letting alopecia control your life. I stopped the cortisone treatments, then refused extended Prednisone, then shaved my remaining hair off when I still had a fair amount. Each step gave me more power. Each step was a good one. You have a wonderful attitude!
I try but really I don't know for sure. All I know is that I don't know the long term effects of the drug and why on earth would I want to continue when they didn't work for me. The gal I know at work tried them for over ten years and she's without any hair now total AU.
Hugs thanks Mary.

I hope your trip went well.

Eileen
Hi,
Good for you, I don't know about you but I would be headaches and feel sick from the shots. They caused great pain and you know what it's not worth it. I think a cleanse is a good idea I do them often and a gf diet for me, but a healthy diet is good for the mind also. No I don't think it's sick maybe a little strange LOL not really, but it is what it is. Maybe you were bald in a prior life :-) ok so anyway good luck with the party and have a great time.
Blessings
Eileen
Hi, I just ordered my first wig, hum and everything that goes with it.
Wish me luck.
Thanks
Eileen
Best wishes on the wig! When I was wearing mine, I carried very smooth chopstick in my purse that I could use to discreetly scratch under the edges (really).

hugs,
Mary
really so they itch, something to get use to. great idea thank you.
I shouldn't say anything that will influence your experience. You might (I sincerely hope) find a wig comfortable. They work for a LOT of women. Maybe it depends on the type of wig.

Let us know how you do with it.
Hi, I shaved my head so that I could be as bald as the Alopecia spots on it. I feel so beautiful and free being bald but I understand how others feel about wearing wigs or hairpieces. When I used to wear wigs, the mere changing of a style was dramatic for me as well as changing the color. I think women and hairloss is just an emotional situation any way you look at it. Take your time...it's your world! Crowned Regal is a great motivator!
I really adore her she is a great lady. I understand why you shaved believe it was the same for me also. I really wonder about changing wigs I don't hink I'm there yet. I did order a couple of them from TLC so I'm hoping trying them on at home will be better then at a shop. Allowing the time to get use to it and fussing it alone first before going out in public. I'm just not at the bald is ok for me yet, it will come I'm sure in time.

Hugs and thank you
Eileen
It is hard and unlike you I felt I had to get one as I had watched my hair get thinner and thinner and I could not face being bald (I so wish I could but it really feels wierd - bare and unprotected and vulnerable is how it makes me feel - oh and cold!! particularly my ears - how wierd is that!!) Anyway it was hard to do and they do not feel natural straight away - but for me it was the right step and a very important one. I dont want to hide that I have alopecia, but I dont want to share how I look without hair - does that make sense??!

Anyway, I went with my husband to get a wig and I have to say that from my limited experience it really depends on who you see as to how you will feel. I had a really positive experience with very sympathetic people who made me feel as normal as I could be in this ridiculous situation.. If you had someone who understands you and can go with you - or a fellow (but positive) sufferer then take them - it makes it all much easier and at the end of the day - its really not the end of the world - you dont have to wear it if you dont want to.

I chose wigs that made me feel better and looked sort of the way I would like to look - I have never hidden that I wear a wig from anyone who I know, but I do find it hard when someone I dont know says "I like your hair" because I am still not sure what the right response is - but generally I feel ok - the wigs are more comfortable on some days than they are on others and I laugh most days!!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service