I have been wearing wigs for about 7 years and have yet to find a shampoo and conditioner that works well on my wigs. I used to wear synthetic wigs and i used Revlon or Paula Young wig shampoo for them and it worked ok but the hairs would become very frizzy after about 2 months where you could tell i was wearing a wig. Also they smelled really bad. I have been wearing human hair for about 5 years and have tried multiple products, including those. I have tried directly applying the shampoo and conditioner to the hair and soaking it and they both have similar results.

I work in fast food and i know this takes a toll on my wigs. Recently, i bought a separate wig for work and one for normal wear but I'm still having the same problems. My one i use for work has gotten so bad that i cant wear it anymore because i feel like i have to brush it every ten minutes so it doesnt tangle or poof. I soak them normally twice a week with a shampoo from jennyshairsence.com and then apply rinse out conditioner. It feels great and smooth until it dries and becomes poofy and tangles. Straightening it usually helps a little but not for long. This is the best product i have used so far.

I have tried ion for greasy hair to help with getting the oils from work out of it and it dried it out too much even when i would put a good conditioner on there for about 10 minutes afterwords. Also i have tried Pantene for all hair types and have seen no difference with that.

I end up buying new wigs about every 3-4 months and i do not have the money to buy new ones so often.

Is this only a problem because I work in fast food or is this normal?
Is there any trustworthy sites that i can buy good quality wigs for less?

Thanks for any help! :)

Views: 31044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I paid just over 2,000 for my gripper, bought it at a salon and the color and cut were included!?!

If you do find something that works, I would be interested to hear. Have been wearing full lace wigs for almost two years and have the same problem. They look fine for a while then get all matted & dry & greasy at the same time - depending on what I've used on them. Since I cant afford the Follea type wigs, I've always gone for the full lace HH wigs (they say they are processed HH I believe). However the very first full lace wig I got lasted almost a year, and in the end it was the lace base that gave in, whilst the hair was still okay - not great, but okay! I asked the supplier what was different with this wig as it was so good for so long, in comparison to others I had purchased that should have been the same, but they didn't last half as long. She said it has to do with the grading of the hair - like the one that lasted was better quality, maybe virgin hair. So that ties in with what others are saying, virgin hair should hold up better, and potentially be easier to maintain. If you could get one for a decent price, it might be worth a try. For work, maybe you could try get a full lace synthetic, that matches your HH version. It might be cheaper in the long run, seeing as you replace them every 3-4 months

Redkin Soft Shampoo and Conditioner!! All the way xx

This may sound strange, but if the hair is in poor condition and prone to frizzing and tangling then wash and deep condition it on a wig head to reduce the chance of tangling during the process. Then while the wig is still wet spray it with a silicone lubricant (not a hair product but the kind that you can buy from a hardware store) and comb it through. The wig should then be left to air dry. When its dry the hair will be glossy but not greasy and feel soft and smooth. The silicone should have sealed and lubricated the hair shafts and prevent them from tangling. The lubricant is very cheap and I presume the process is similar to the one that is used by manufacturers that use cheap hair with cuticles running in different directions. The effect should last until the next wash.

Hi
Are the products you are advocating here for use on your freedom Wig (which is totally unprocessed hair - unless you have processed it yourself :)) or for other wigs that you may be wearing with processed hair.

I feel there is a real disconnect when explaining what hair is what. Processed human hair needs a lot more information about how to look after it.

Unprocessed human hair, the hair used in your Freedom Wig...really just needs a good quality shampoo and conditioner. Some Independent Agents love specific products but personally I have found any good quality salon type shampoo and conditioner works beautifully.
Rosy

Hi Sue

What great info...I think you are right that may be a similar process to what some manufacturers use. I do know that silicone is often used to coat processed hair. Does it build up or cause any issues if you do this every wash??

Rosy

Hi

The hair on the wigs that I buy is usually very good quality, (although it would have been dyed as it probably originated in eastern Europe and so would have started out very dark) . However, I sometimes over do the straighteners and I have even bleached in additional highlights and the texture is never the same afterwards. I tried the silicone lubricant spray out of desperation after using a bleach to lift the colour of a wig that was too dark. The can was labeled as non staining,colourless and odourless (you can even buy food grades). I was surprised at how well it worked, even when sprayed on dry hair. Spraying it over damp\wet hair simply ensures that its easier to work through the hair and so you use a lot less. Being heavy handed can give the hair a heavy feel, although it still looks healthy and isn't at all sticky. There doesn't seem to be a problem with build up either because shampooing seems to remove all of the residue.

It's well worth a try on wigs that have been damaged The spray was only around £3 for a 500ml can (food grades are twice the price) so there really is nothing to lose.

The silicon seals the moisture into the hair and coats the cuticle making it feel smooth and glossy.

I think this will be so helpful for some wig wearers :)
Sue, can you be more specific about the silicone? I have a Follea, I'm afraid of doing anything wrong with it? Isn't Pam cooking spray a silicone spray? I'm sure it is different tho.

Hi Christine. I don't think that they sell Pam in the UK so I'm not sure if there is a silicone variant. However, I don't think that silicone would be generally used directly on food, rather as a tasteless and odourless lubricant for machinery used in the food industry. The stuff that I bought was being sold by a sewing machine company as the lubricant won't stain clothing.I've had a look on Amazon and the lubricant that i use would be something like this http://www.amazon.com/3M-Silicone-Lubricant-Net-Fill/dp/B0002BBX4Y/.... Just spray it on to the damp hair after washing and conditioning and then comb it through.

Hi, I'm sorry to bother you, but wondering if you can advise me. I'm intrigued with the idea of using the silicone spray. Have you ever used any heated appliances on the hair with the silicone spray....I'm just wondering if it would be safe? Ange
I have done the Apple cider vinegar rinse(Google) on mine whenever I kno I have used a lot of product. Afterwards I shampoo/condition with Dove hair therapy. It has worked well. I've had my custom rpgshow wig since April. It's my first human hair wig. It's holding up good. I wash it on the wig head. The ACV rinse will remove any product or oil from the hair. In my research I found a product I want to try called "silicon mix" you can find it on amazon. Which is supposed to make the hair smooth & shiny. I have yet to try it, like I said my wig is still holding up. I do believe all hair is different cuz it comes from different donors but I hope this helps.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service