This is my first summer completely bald. Last summer I could still cover it up carefully with a ponytail. Now..I wear a wig all day. I'm not looking forward to summer because I'm sure my wigs will be hot and itchy. And, I obviously can't wear my wigs to swim (they're not vacuum wigs). I don't want to spend the whole summer not being able to swim :(
I've never gone out bald before, and I don't really want to in summer, because my skin is VERY fair, and even with sunscreen I burn. How can I go swimming? Do you go swimming?
I would go bald with some people that I'm close to, like my family and boyfriend, but often we'll go camping as a big group of friends, and I don't want to go bald, and have my boyfriends friends make comments to him that he's dating a bald girl. None of his friends know. I mean they're nice, but they've only ever seen me with a wig on. I just don't know what to do :(

Views: 6351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah I'm thinking I'll get one of those "retro" ones with the flowers!
Nah they're really good guys, and they've never said anything because they've never seen it, and don't know about it. I'm just afraid of what they MIGHT say, you know? Like nobody would make a comment to me, but I don't know about after I leave. blah. I just worry a lot lol. Anyways, thanks for the reply! I'll talk to my boyfriend, see what he thinks, like if they'd say anything or care. I could deal with looking hardcore :P
thanks!
Hi Charity, thanks for the post with summer coming I was thinking about the same thing. I might buy a inexpensive wig to wear just in the summer. Although I'm not really a swimmer but I have a pool and like to go to the beach sholulder length is as far as I go and occasionally I might do a few dunks. LOL! Good advice from folks. The swim cap is a good one or bandana. You boyfriends friends don't sound too nice - I agree with Mike - he might need to put his foot down on the joking. Take care.
Yeah I'm buying a short one today so I can at least stand in the pool lol. I'll probably get a swimcap as well. And, sorry for the misunderstanding, but they've never actually joked, cause they have no idea. I'm just scared of what they MIGHT say, you know? I just worry a lot, lol
thanks for the reply!
Hi Charity, I have to chime in with others and say thanks for the post. I think many of us are worried about the same thing with the warm weather looming :) This too will be my first summer with my nearly-bald head. I've been wearing a wig since last Spring, but got away with wearing hats because my hair had been short before and my first wig was a short one. Now I wear a long one and was hoping to maintain that "look" somehow. Using a cheaper wig is a great idea! I may try that, although I worry about it being hot when I'm not actually in the water... ?

In my research, I found this alternative: http://www.hatswithhair.com/ProductSwim.aspx I am very curious about it, has anyone heard anything about this product or this company - good/bad? Seems like a perfect solution, but pricey. Worth it if it's good though I suppose.

Take Care
:O I love it. I want one.
omg i feel the EXACT same way. last year i covered up my spot with a pony tail but this year i'm going to mexico for my graduation present and im nervous about going bald. i know it's gonna be hot and i've never gone out without my wig. I also burn very easily too so i know my head is gonna get fried. & for the boyfriend situation, same deal. he sees me with my wig off all the time. pretty much all of his friends know but im just afraid that they will think of me differently if they see me without it.
Haha, wow. That is exactly the same! It's nice to find someone who feels the same. Like they kind of know, cause I sometimes wear just a hat and stuff, depending on who it is, but I feel the same!! They'll look at me differently or something, which I don't want. <33
i was going to suggest the same exact thing that Tawny did (: those seem to be great for the water (: i think they do have cheeper alternatives though . so look around before you splurge on that , lol . i don't think it should cost that much . i don't know how "crafty" you are but you can also try to make your own bandana with hair by sewing tracks onto a bandana . idk , i like doing little projects with my old wigs . lol -___-

when i go in the water , i use one of my old wigs with a really tight bandana on so the wig won't fall off in the water . lol . you can even buy a regular swimming cap and put it on over the wig and THEN cover the swimming cap with a bandana or scarf leaving the hair down coming out of the cap ( just for more security :) . it'll look like you only have the bandana on but even if the bandana were to come off , the swimming cap wouldn't go anywhere (:

i hope i helped a little (: xxoxoo -Essence .
That's a really good idea! And actually my mom and grandma are looking into making one of those swimcaps with hair attatched, but of course whatever they make will be much cheaper. I like the old wig then swim cap then bandana idea! Thanks!
I swim as often as I can during the summer -- and I am very fair and burn too -- and I make sure to use lots and lots of sunscreen (broad spectrum is best, like the Neutrogena with Helioplex and the Aveeno sunscreen) and no covering unless I'm not in the water. Believe me, you will get tired pretty quickly of trying to keep up with what's on your head in the water. I tell everyone that it gets old really quickly sacrificing being comfortable and doing what you're used to doing for the sake of covering up your head. But you'll get there eventually. Until then, do what makes you feel good.
I love the Neutogena Sunscreen! And yeah, someday I'll be comfortable. It's mostly just that I've only had absolutely no hair for about 2 months now, so I guess I'm still getting used to it.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service