First of all, I'm a newbie to AA and to the message boards. Hi all! Ok, to get to my questions...I'm still on the fence about buying a wig or not. Can anyone tell me approx how long a wig will last before having to toss them in the trash? Which type lasts the longest? I'm so confused with it all. My brain is still trying to process the fact that I have AA. I would greatly appreciate any all advise.

Views: 900

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for the clarification Rose Marie. I was not knowledgeable about human hair wigs except for the fact that I've seen the cheap (processed?) ones look like rat's nests sitting atop women's heads.

Hi Cindie! I want to thank you for all of the info that you have given me. You're right about everyone on here being so nice. When I was first diagnosed, my head was spinning. Thankfully the spinning has slowed down due to everyone on here. :)
I have taken your advise and have looked into some of the things that you had told me to look into. Thank you again!

God's Blessings,
Rita

You're welcome, Rita. Here are two companies that I like: Beauty Trends and Paula Young. Check out their websites. There are lots of others, but unless a wig can be returned, or I have purchased the same style before, I tend not to use the "discount" ones because of the restocking fees that they charge. But once you get "settled in" and find something that you like, they are great sources.

But, Cindie...the two you mention have cheap wigs, but not quality wigs. The styles and colors leave much to be desired. They are for a very older person. Yes, they do allow returns, however, one would be hard-pressed to find a decent wig there. I have purchased many a wig from Beauty Trends before I knew better. I have also purchased from PY also before I knew better. Namebrand wigs will allow returns, however, charges a re-stocking fee. Their prices are the best. They carry all manufacturers wigs. I personally like Raquel Welch, Gabor (although some Gabor styles are dated) and Simply Beautiful (Revlon) but I hear some really nice wigs are Estetica and Envy. Join my other favorite site, Wigsupport. Lots of good people and good help in wig hunting. You will like it!! Oh, and lasts longest? A shorter wig that doesn't brush your nape of your neck, or collar of a shirt or blouse. Longer wigs get fried and tangly pretty fast. I have not recently purchased any HH because I am blonde, and I would need European hair, and it does not come in my color, would have to be processed. Processed hair dries out quick and oh so expensive and time consuming to take care of.

I wear one particular style from Beauty Trends, and everyone thinks it's my real hair (it's dark brown in color with auburn highlights). And no one thinks I look "old"....in fact, I'm 60, and most people think I look 45. But I'm always looking at other places.

Cindie...what style do you wear? I am 63 - LOL SShhhh- and nobody thinks I look old either. 45, me too. Seriously. When I wear hair. But now that my hair has thinned so horribly....it does age you. When I was 50 I passed for 28 or so. Seriously. Blonde colors are the hardest, and they are mine. All ashey tones, and they seem to shine the most. Wish I had dark hair, I would probably find more choices that I like. Beauty Trends cap styles are old-school like Noriko also is. I like mono, lace front, hand tied styles. Lighter and more realistic.

I wear Beauty Trends "Inspire". I understand about thinning hair being aging.....I shave my head and wear a wig cap.

I understand that blonde is probably a very difficult color to copy. That makes perfect sense. I hate the "shine" factor, too, but the "shine" factor depends upon which type of fiber is used in a synthetic wig.

I have found mono, lace front, and hand-tied styles (lighter and more realistic, as you stated), with Beauty Trends.

Hello.It very hard to buy your first wig. I was so nervous. But i did it. I brought my bestfriend with me.Luckly we had a good sell lady. I go to on the internet to find my wigs.It just take time.Sisterhood is a good thing.

Hi Katrina! I know that feeling very well. I too need someone to go with me. I'm not very good with fashion, what's in and what's not. Picking out a wig is kind of important and I don't want to pick one out that is silly looking. All I have is my daughter to help me and she is so busy taking and picking up my three Grankids from school every day that we just can't find the time. One is in elementary, one is in Jr. high and one in Highschool. There isn't any bus systems where she lives. Hopefully I'll get one soon. Yes, sisterhood is a very good thing. :)

Tell me about the "mistakes!" Now, when I find a style and feel that I like, I buy in quantity for fear that it will be discontinued!

I'm in the US. I could afford a decent wig, not a great wig, but a decent one. Our health insurance will help with the expense of a wig. I am so overwhelmed by the thought of buying a wig right now, and I haven't gone to one wig shop yet! lol. My Alopecia hasn't gotten real bad yet, I have enough hair to cover my bald spot, except when the wind blows. I've lost almost all of my hair on my left side and the same with the back of my head. I've been wearing a hat for a couple of weeks now. It's hard finding hats to fit me. My head is smaller than my 9 year old Grandson. So I have to buy kids hats. What type of Alopecia do you have?
I was wondering if it would be hard trying to find that small of a wig. Are smaller wigs more expensive or less? Thanks for the tip on the websites Aimee. :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service