we have a few threads about oral Xeljanz treatment but nothing dedicated to information about the topical form. The cream seems like it would have less systemic side effects (more suitable for children?)

Are the people who have been using the cream getting it prescribed specifically as topical, or are you being prescribed it specifically or are you being prescribed oral and having it prepared as topical?

is there a separate trial being run for the topical version?

Does the topical treatment warrant a distinct information thread separate from the oral treatment?

My son is too young to participate in any trials, particularly of oral medication, but I'm curious what will be available to him in the future

thank you! 

Views: 19231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am still trying to get an appointment with a dermatologist in the states as i am from europe to buy the tube of topical xeljanz. However i think its good news that the cream itches a bit. At least its doing something. Where is your wife using the cream exactly?
Yes just started it on one eyebrow and 3 spots a slight tingling then goes away.Glad you mentioned it.How long has she been using it?
My wife has been using it for about 4 days around her hair line. She said it tingles for the first few seconds then itches for the 10-15 mins, then goes away. She has experience complete regrow after being on Xeljanz orally 2x a day for a little over a year. Once I found the cream I suggested it to my wife dermatologist, and he thought it would be a good idea to start and if the cream works she could eventually week off of the pills and continue the cream.
How would you apply the cream to a full head of hair and how long would it last at that rate? I was also thinking about this, but it does not seem practical if your hair has all grown back.

I don't know thing one about how topical xeljanz is prepared, but I know clobetasol is available in both a cream form and a lotion that seems almost like an alcohol suspension; very liquidy, much easier to apply to areas that are not completely bare

perhaps at some point in the future xeljanz could also be available in both flavors

Just started applying to the areas were there is no hair.Not sure if it will work still taking 3 xeljanz and 2 plaquenil has not helped one bit!Seems like I'm the only one it hasn't worked on.And it is diffinitely alopecia I had all kinds of blood tests done.On day 4 of the cream also exact same symptoms (slight tingling and itching)let me know if you see any new hair.Good Luck
Starshine,
One solution could be to put it in a dosing syringe. Maybe users can apply it intermittently throughout hair sections along part lines. I just tried this with minoxidil because I have a full head of hair. Worked great.

Dr. Donovan’s Response – Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) for Treating Alopecia

http://canaaf.org/dr-donovans-response-tofacitinib-xeljanz-treating...

This is an 18 month old write up on a drug that was much newer at the time than it is now. It would be interesting to see a followup piece from Dr. Donovan. I did find this on his website:

http://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/2016/1/11/tofacitinib-xeljanz-f...

Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) is an oral medication that is FDA approved for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Recent studies in the past 2 years have shown a benefit for some patients with alopecia areata.   Alopecia areata is an autoimmune condition, that affects all ages and all people across the world. In fact, about 2 % of the world's population is affected by alopecia areata. Patients often lose hairs in circular patches but may lose all the hair on the body as well. I’ve been using Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) in my practice for a while now.  It doesn’t help everyone but does help a proportion of patients.

I was encouraged too by a recent study showing benefit not only for hair loss, but also for the nail problems that frequently accompany this condition.  A study in the journal JAMA Dermatology reported 3 patients with alopecia universalis (AU) whose nail abnormalities improved with treatment with Tofacitinib. Interestingly, 2 of these 3 patients had an improvement in hair growth as well.

Tofacitinib is proving to have many potential benefits for patients with alopecia areata.

- See more at: http://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/2016/1/11/tofacitinib-xeljanz-f...

This thread is hard to find. I had to do a search under Symptoms, treatment options, research. Is there any way to make this Discussion more prominent, because it is so timely and important?

Thanks,

Beth

there's been a lot of recent activity and new threads under the Symotoms etc section, so inactive threads get pushed down. 

It's been 3-4 weeks I think since JAGS first posted about the cheap topical Xeljanz in one of the other threads after which a few other people got on board with it. My plan was to start bumping this thread up around the 8 week mark to see what kind of progress people are seeing, if any. 

Would be nice if everyone who is currently using using topical Xeljanz could do a check in post in here with their start date :)

It's been a few weeks since people started posting about going on topical Tofacitinib from the Philadelphia pharmacy. Could you guys please report on your progress (positive or negative)? Thanks everyone!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service