Anyone had the vaccine, or is going to get vaccinated? Or maybe someone who had covid with Alopecia?

As Alopecia is an alteration in the immune system, maybe a more active immune response against a specific protein. That is what I hear from my dermatologist. I am afraid the vaccine might trigger a dangerous response. Please start the discussion

Views: 6430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was just researching this last night but more in relation to Xeljanz and Covid-19 vaccine. This is what I found:

https://rheumatoidarthritis.net/clinical/covid19-vaccine-autoimmune...

https://nebraskaarthritis.com/education/news/support-for-covid-19-v...

Since mRNA vaccines, including the Pfizer vaccine, are not live vaccines, they are perfectly safe to give to our rheumatic disease patients, even the ones that are immune suppressed. There is a small risk of a temporary inflammatory arthritis flare. About 5% of inflammatory arthritis patients will flare after the shingles vaccine, and we suspect the risk of flare is similar. Patients taking some medications, including methotrexate, rituximab, or Xeljanz may not have a good response to the vaccine. We recommend that patients on methotrexate, hold the methotrexate for 2 weeks after the first and second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. For those patients on rituximab infusions, we recommend waiting until 4 months after your last infusion, to start the vaccine series. If you are taking Xeljanz, we suggest holding the Xeljanz for 7 days after both doses of the vaccine. All other rheumatic disease drugs are safe to continue.

Great thread. Thanks for creating it. Let's see how things evolve. 

I have AU and had Covid a few weeks ago, got it bad and was out of work for a little over 2 weeks.

Back in work now and going to get vaccinated in about 3 weeks, once I was cleared of Covid I have to wait 4 weeks before I can get the vaccine. Some of my work collegues have had it done already and had the same regarding sore arm and headaches but they were fine after (not sure how long it lasted).

Thank you for the information!

had the covid vaccine and no problems whatsoever.

Thank you, that is great news!

it would be great to know which vaccine each person received, as there are different covid vaccines in different parts of the world. 

I agree. 

If anyone else posts about the vaccines.  Please list the following information so we have at least some idea of the variables here (of course, only if you're comfortable)

Vaccine Type:

# of Doses:

Current Alopecia Condition:

Current Alopecia Treatment (JAK/Steroids-Please detail the JAK and dosage and/or if you're on a clinical trial)

Hi I had the Pfizer vaccine 5 weeks ago. I am female aged 66 with AU I was promised 3 clinical trials over the last 4 years but they all got put on hold and then COVID came along and  so I am not on any medication. I haven’t had any side effects from the vaccine up to now 

Hi,

I got the first dose of Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks Female, 44yo.

Full regrowth on Tofa from AU. Taking Tofacitinib 16mg/day.

No side effects as of now. Getting the second dose on Monday.

Got a second shot 2 weeks ago - no side effects at all so far.

Hi Nat,

Did you pause tofa at all after each vaccine?  I am hearing some say they withheld tofa for a few days afterwards. Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service