Hello Ladies

In January I cut my hair short, it is naturally curly, this enabled me to just fluff it up a bit and it covered y receeding hairline quite nicely. I have lost about 1 inch at the front hairline and 1.5 inches at my temples. I have grown my hair but I am unable to style it in a way that I like. If I tong it straight my hair is so fine on top it doesn't look groomed. I used to wear it back off my face in a headband sometimes, my hairline means I can no longer wear it like this. Every day is now a 'bad hair day'. My friends think my hair looks OK but I can't achieve a well groomed image any more. My hair isn't really in any particular style.

I have decided that since I have purchased a couple of wigs, I have worn each wig once, I will start wearing a nice wig in January. I have taken 5 weeks off work. I figure my colleauges will then just perceive me as having changed my hairstyle during my time off work. I have one wig that is similar to a hairstyle, jaw length bob, that I have worn several times in the past. I won't look like a new me it is going back to a previous hairstyle I have worn so I am hoping that I will not look too different.

I need to look nice for my confidence and I don't look my best at the momemnt. I thought I would only go into a wig when I lost a lot more hair but even with relatively little hair loss I am feeling very tatty looking.

Love to you all.

Views: 5802

Replies to This Discussion

This is the store. There are contact details on the page so you could ask for more details of what to ask for in the US. http://www.trendco.co.uk/salons/hove.html

I would also like to know how long one of these would last. And also how it performs in the wind, which is what worries me about my hair just now.

I asked about the wind and she said that if you wear a full headed wig it's better to have no hair. She said that with a hair piece there are options such as grips, combs and a kind of tape which holds it in place without damaging the skin. I said that to have a wig or hair piece blow off in the wind would my idea of a nightmare but she assured me that it wouldn't happen when using one of the above. That's why she said it's better to have no hair with a full wig because a wig is more prone to sliding. So if i get to the stage of being unable to hide but hairloss with a headband I may consider shaving the rest off. Mind you I do make my headbands so I shall make them thicker and thicker before then!

This web site does have its moments! I am trying to say thank you to Liz for the information in her latest post, but there's no reply box for her comment. Thanks, Liz.

I looked at the website you sent to me Mari, but I can't find info on bespoke. Can you help me find more info?

Sorry, I just meant you should contact the shop by email and ask if what they do is universally available or if it is specific to their chain of stores. I found this on their web site : "As part of the global hair loss company Aderans, Trendco supplies top quality products across the UK. We have an extensive mail order customer base, which we supply from our head office in Brighton and through our website."
Managing Director lynne@trendco.co.uk
Sales and Marketing Manager emma@trendco.co.uk

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and just coming to terms with having FFA. So I feel like I've jumped in mid conversation, but there's been so much useful infomation aleady. I was diagnosed yesterday and am feeling pretty despondent, so it's good to see how you are coping with the condition in your different ways. I've discovered that Trendco has a branch in Birmingham, my home city, so will pay them a visit. My hair loss started just pre-menopause with what I thought was excema on the hairline on both sides of my face. Once that cleared with treatment, the hair didn't come back. Then the eyebrows left! And over the past few months my hair has receded in perfect symmetry - on both sides above the ears to about 5 inches. At the mo, there's enough top hair to cover the loss, on calm days at least. I read someone say that they'd rather lose a leg than their hair - that's exactly what I said to my husband. By the way, how do your other halves react / cope? Mine is in denial.

Hi Jules. Welcome to the group. Everyone I have met on here is lovely and supportive. I was diagnosed about a month ago so things are new for me too. Presently I'm obsessed with my hairline and other peoples hairlines as I walk down the street! I have been prescribed oral prednisolone and antibiotic by my doctor for the next 8 weeks to try to stop the loss. My partner has been very supportive and tells me that 'it doesn't really show' or 'it hasn't got worse'. He does say that whatever happens it wont change how he feels about me. He wants desperately to say the right thing but I'm not always convinced that he's not just trying to spare my feelings. My own feelings towards FFA change every day and sometimes every hour. One minute I'm looking at my hair and feeling very sad, (I have lost about 1.5 inches from the front and it's thinning for about another 2 or 3 behind that and I have lost alot over the temples) and the next I think that there are worse things I could have wrong with me. I also think a lot about how things might progress. If I stop losing hair now I can cope with a hairband. If it keeps receding do I really want a wig, or will I have a choice.
xx

Thanks, Liz. I thnk I over estimated my receding hairline - 5" and it would be meeting at the back! But that's how it feels. Probably 2 1/2" each side. My forehead hairline is starting to show signs of slight redness at the hair root. I'm scared to look but at nighttime, getting makeup off, I look like a skull. It's pretty unpleasant. My husband keeps saying it may not get any worse but my doctor gave me no hope at all for arresting the loss. He told me to accept how bad it will probably get. He prescribed betnovate, just until I see a dermatologist on Oct 31st. I'm going privately for the time being, until it gets too expensive, since I don't have insurance. Do you think your meds have made any difference? I'm a secondary school teacher but have decided I'll cope better with this without an audience and will resign after half term. Maybe do some volunteering and get things into perspective. Your partner sounds very understanding. It's worth remembering I suppose that for them it's hard too. xx

I have been taking medication for just over a week and I'm not sure if it's helping the FFA but it has cleared my skin of problems I have had for years which is surprising. I've had a dry excema type rash on my feet and dry skin on my hands where sometimes the skin cracks. Over the years I've tried a range of creams but to no effect. Now, for the first time in years my skin is a uniform colour with no dry patches...I hope it lasts!
You must feel in shock about your diagnosis. Mine was made more difficult by the blase way in which I was told my my dermatologist. He fiddled with my hair a bit and then said, 'It won't grow back and you'll most likely lose more'.
Maybe see how you feel in a couple of weeks before resigning at work. Give yourself time to let things sink in.
xx

Changing from Secondary to Primary wouldn't be allowed in Scotland, without re-training. I don't know what the situation is in England.

I was prescribed betnovate by my GP too. I saw a consultant shortly afterwards and he changed the prescription to dermovate, Even although you get a private consultation, the consultant will give you instructions for your GP, so that you just pay the NHS rate for your drugs. I belatedly found out that you can get Regaine/Rogaine on prescription too, after I had paid £27 for it. I really can't say if the meds have made any difference or if my loss would have slowed anyway. The Regaine does not help the hair loss, but may strengthen the remaining hair.
I would hate to have to go into a secondary school with this problem. There is no way the kids are not going to notice and comment. If you can afford to leave, perhaps it is a great opportunity to try something else.

Jules, I have only been diagnosed with FFA for about 6 weeks now. For the last year, my primary care doctor has been adjusting my thyroid because he thought the hairloss (including eyebrows) was related to thyroid. I am very despondent and have been crying a lot. I've also been going through a lot of cardiac problems. The dermatologist has put me on an antibiotic called doxycycline and said I will be on it for a minimum of 6-8 months. If there is no sign of improvement, he will switch me to an antimalarial drug. Do you know why your doctor said there was no hope at all of arresting hair loss? My doctor said there is no cure, they are not sure how best to treat it, but I felt he was giving me hope that the goal was to slow or even stop progression of hair loss.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service