Hello Ladies

In January I cut my hair short, it is naturally curly, this enabled me to just fluff it up a bit and it covered y receeding hairline quite nicely. I have lost about 1 inch at the front hairline and 1.5 inches at my temples. I have grown my hair but I am unable to style it in a way that I like. If I tong it straight my hair is so fine on top it doesn't look groomed. I used to wear it back off my face in a headband sometimes, my hairline means I can no longer wear it like this. Every day is now a 'bad hair day'. My friends think my hair looks OK but I can't achieve a well groomed image any more. My hair isn't really in any particular style.

I have decided that since I have purchased a couple of wigs, I have worn each wig once, I will start wearing a nice wig in January. I have taken 5 weeks off work. I figure my colleauges will then just perceive me as having changed my hairstyle during my time off work. I have one wig that is similar to a hairstyle, jaw length bob, that I have worn several times in the past. I won't look like a new me it is going back to a previous hairstyle I have worn so I am hoping that I will not look too different.

I need to look nice for my confidence and I don't look my best at the momemnt. I thought I would only go into a wig when I lost a lot more hair but even with relatively little hair loss I am feeling very tatty looking.

Love to you all.

Views: 5802

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ladies, I am just posting a couple of photos taken recently of me in my Ignite wig by Jon Renau. It is a lacefront synthetic wig and retails in the UK at £120.00 on most online wig shops. I get the VAT removed as a medical user so it only costs me £99.00 at www.buywigs.co.uk. I am popping these photos on so you can see what a wig actually looks like on a 'real' person. I also have my eyebrows tattoed and my eyelashes enhanced by Belinda Hayle in Chertsey, Surrey. I have included a photo of me with a group of friends, this way you can see that my wig does not stand out or make me look at all different when I am with other women. I hope these photos can put some of you at ease if you are thinking of using wigs/supplemental hair as part of your coping strategy and you can also see what the tattoos look like. These photos are all close-up shots taken with flash so they are not very forgiving. XXX

Attachments:

You look fantastic Debs! I can't tell at all. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I am still at the early stage but want to get some wigs for fun and wear them out to see if others can tell. I think it will help to know that I have that alternative for when the time comes.

Hi Sam, that is exactly how I got used to wearing wigs... I went out with a small group of very close and trusted female friends that I had told about my FFA, I only wore my wigs when I was with them for a bit of support. I still wore my own hair to work and out and about in general. After I had spent 5 months wearing wigs with these friends I felt able to transition into wearing them to work and can now face the world in a wig with no problem. It is a relief that we have the option of sophisticated wig technology these days that can help us cope with hair loss and make us look nice. Wigs nowadays are cool, comofortable and undetectable thanks to lacefront and monofilament inventions. If you check out the www.wigsupport.com site they have lovely ladies on there wearing their wigs and giving great advice. anything you want to know about wigs they can tell you. xxx

Tis is just a test reply. Please ignore.

Hello Ladies,
I am new here, being diagnosed Dec 2012. I believe that I have been losing hair along the hairline since late 2010 but it is much more pronounced now. My derm says it is FFa and that the hair will not grow back. I never have any itching or any symptoms. I just have less hair when I come out of the shower. I am not totally freaked out about this since everyone gets something at some time. My question, for those who are further along in this journey, is about hairpieces. I am losing all around the perimeter of the hairline. In some places 1 to 1.5 inches have disappeared leaving smooth bald skin. My hair is very curly (which I always hated but it is now a blessing) and at this time I am effectively pulling it forward and downward to hide trouble spots. In the event that I lose all hair except the crown and back, has anyone seen any type of hairpiece that is like a wig with the crown and back cut out? I wish to blend with the hair that will stay. This is just a thought since I do not have any experience with wigs and limited experience with fashion hairpieces. I want to remove it everyday since I cannot imagine keeping it in overnight.

Thank you all.
Jen

Hello Jen and welcome to our group. I don't know of any type of supplemental hair which would have basically a whole cut of for your own hair at the crown and back. I wear a wig (which of course I take off at night) other ladies with hair loss use hair pieces (lots of wig companies make these, a piece that you clip or glue in that would cover a specific area of hair like the front, sometimes called a top hair piece). You can have a custom made hair piece too. If you have lost hair all around the perimeter of your head, I assume you also mean the back hairline at the nape of your head then I would suggest you look at wigs as well as hair pieces to give yourself enough coverage. I also wear silk scarves, buffs and bandanas to the gym etc...

You might find at this point in your hair loss that a buff or a thick headband will work quite nicely or a silk scarf just tied round the perimeter of your head, if you dont lose any more hair then you may never need to transistion into supplemental hair. Jen I suggest you check out www.wigsupport.com website, I use this for most of my wig info. The ladies on there are real experts and can advise you. I am in the UK and can give you info on places to have custom made hair pieces etc.. if you are in the UK as well. Best wishes to you. Deb

Hi Debs,

Thank you for your reply. I am in Toronto, Canada. I will keep this in mind as I see how the hair loss progresses. At this time, the remaining hair is doing a good job. Thank goodness the hair is very curly, corkscrew curly. I always cursed my hair when I was younger because I always wanted that sleek, smooth, straight hair look that lots of women wear. I guess my hair is getting some revenge.

Jen.

hi Deb,

I love your pic.  Is that a wig you are wearing?  If so can you please tell me what kind it is.  It is one of the styles that I wear (only longer) when I leave my hair in its natural state.

Jen.

Hi Jen, yes it is a wig in my pic.  It is the cheapest wig I own and I bought it in the summer just as an experiment to find out what the cheap wigs are like.  It was £25 from a UK based company called Sleek Wigs.  It is called 'afro wig' and is human hair made in China.  It does not need to be styled because the hair is curled already.  I have only worn it twice and I assume it would not be stylable after washing at that price.  I am always on the lookout for a curly wig but very few seem to be made.  Revlon has a wig called Natalie with pretty longer curls and I am tempted to buy one at some time in the future to check it out.  Good luck with finding something that is similar to your own curl structure. XXXX

Hi Deb,

I wish the wig makers would do more to accommodate us, curly girls. If  you find any nice curly wigs please let me know. I was out at a brunch yesterday with women in my age group and found myself paying attention to people's hair and hairline.  I noticed that very few people comb their hair back and I thought mmmmm.   Maybe there are more than just a few with hair problems.

Thanks

Jen.

I looks at the Revlon Natalie on line and I like it except that my curl pattern is much more tight and disorderly. That wig would actually be an improvement to the real me. lol.

Hi all,

I've been silent on this site for awhile. Jen - in Toronto.. did you know that there is a group of other folks with FFA and LPP that has formed in Toronto?  I'm in Ottawa and was diagnosed about 2 years ago.  Let me know if you want to talk. I'm pretty well connected in the derm world.

My hair loss has progressed considerably - especially lately. I've been to a few places in Ottawa and finally ordered a  human hair topper from Gorgeoushairwigs.com - based here in Ottawa. I had my hairdresser cut it to be a bit longer than my own hair. It looks OK - but weirdly I feel it is too much hair, and the texture is much coarser than my own- which is baby fine.  It was pretty cheap as these things go...Also in the spot where I clip it in, I am now getting much bigger bald spots and the skin is red and hurts... I only wear it when I have to.. so I'm starting to look for alternatives, something with finer hair, and maybe not so much..  I am frustrated by the choices, I don't want to go to full wigs yet, although I can see that once my hair thins even more , I may have to go down that path. I have been very open over the past few years telling people I am losing my hair, so most people that know me and see my new hair, know that its not mine. I feel now that maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but then I also feel that I wouldn't be authentic... its a struggle to present  the real you forward, when you feel you have to/ want to cover up the part of you that looks weird.

so if anyone knows of a place to get a lightweight, fine human hair topper with either lots of clips or soem other way to holding it in place, please let me know.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service