Hiya all!

I notice that when asked about my alopecia I tend to talk about how its an autoimmune disease and that we don't really know where it comes from. It's only caused by stress to the point that stress can trigger it, but you have to have alopecia for it to be triggered. Most likely it is hereditary but we don't know how commonly so.

I have said this for the last 15 years and now I realize that this might all be quite dated information. Has more happened in alopecia research? Do we know more of how you get it? And if so, would anyone be able to to point me to good articles about this.

Thank you for your help!

Merit

Views: 3369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To answer some of you who seemed curious, I am not asking because I would want to find a treatment or ease of mind. I am 33 and have had AA since the age of 3. I am really comfortable with the illness now or as comfortable as you can be. I wouldn't mind a cure one day, but would not go shopping for one. 

I really want to know out of curiosity and interest in science and research. I have learnt that hereditary reasons can make you prone to have alopecia and stress can trigger it. So, I can't know if e.g. my dad or mom would have it regressive, but no one in our family has ever showed any symptoms. I would just like to have scientifically correct information so I share accurate information on alopecia rather than spreading misconceptions. Also it would be super interesting to read research on alopecia since I feel like I have never seen any.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I have no idea that what could be the cause, however, I have Adhd and I was taking the medication ( Ritalin) when I lost my hair (alopecia universalis)

My history: Am 54 female. At age 8, a few bald spots, no treatment. Hair grew back. Age 12 more spots and some mild spreading: shots, and horrible what i think was liquid nitrogen but not sure. Hair grew back. Age 24 spots and lost all over course of 6 months but just on head. All kinds of treatment: shots, creams, liquid nitrogen, accupuncture, nutritional counseling and "chemical free" diet, including cosmetics. No regrowth. Then after leaving stressful job, hair regrew (that is the only change so thinking that helped it grow back)..this was a age 27 so there years with no head hair. Age 30, hair falling out again. Pregnant at 32 and hair all grew back. Fell out when my son turned 2...all gone again. Pregnant again at 35, all grew back and same thing happened two years later. Hair came and went....falling out every 2 years and then growing back. Age 51,all fell out, including now all body/face hair. Has all been gone since then with no signs of regrowth. My father, various kinds of alopecia over a 40 year period. He is now 90 and has full head of hair, but little body hair! Very hard to have had this when I was single and dating. Hubby very supportive. At this point, except for being hot in my wig when it reaches 70+ degrees, not a big deal (except for eye lash loss since eyelashes are in fact protective). AS I age I for sure have nicer hair (Freedom Wig) than most my age! Thanks all.

I am 72 and have had alopecia totalis since I was a child. At 16 my hair all fell out. Eyebrows and all body hair. I have 3 children and like you my hair grew while pregnant with each one. Only to fall out again when the children got to about one year old. I think it is to do with hormones. I had terrible hot flushes when going through the change and still get about 5 a day now. I have worn a wig since I was 16.
Hiya! I also got my hair back while pregnant. Its not hormones. Its because your immune system. During pregnancy your immune system is down so your body wont reject the baby. As alopecia is an autoimmune disease, it is your immune system that attacks tge hair follicles. During pregnancy it is not there to do it and hense hair grows back, but also makes you more vulnerable to other illness.
My son age 22 has had Alopecia universalis for 6 years now.vHe was a kid that had several allergies and asthma, so his immune system was already overactive. Then he went on a trip with church...there was a campfire that someone had thrown a rag with chemicals in...the smoke and fumes cause the worst asthma reaction he had ever had uo til then...and he did not bring his inhaler!! On top of that, he had just gotten a whooping cough vaccine right before the trip. Soon after that trip, he began losing his hair, poor kid. I have always believed his already overactivive immune system was additionally overburdened during that episode, and was thrown out of whack completely. I have no scientific proof...just an educated guess and a mothers intuition.

MY STORY OF AA. I AM NOW 75 YEARS OLD AND HAVE HAD AU FOR 20 YEARS. LOST MY FIRST PATCH IN COLLEGE AND THEN AGAIN AT AGE 4Oish. Would get shots in the spots and hair would normally grow back. Then at 55. patches revved up and all hair and lashes fell out. I live in SW Florida, wear wigs, use old ones under baseball caps to swim, exercise. I am good with makeup and really the wigs make me look younger with complements almost to embarrassment. BUT, I really feel for the children and young folks going through hair loss. IT does build up your character once you accept it. My grandfather had AU in midlife but they didn't have a name for it then. My children and grandchildren appear normal at this time. I do have other conditions, hypothyoidism, and now microscopic colitis just this year, arthritic pain. I have been getting my wigs from Wigsalon.com.Great prices and good service. I don't bother with real hair as too much to deal with here in humid Florida. So when I am asked where I get my hair done, I say Taiwan or UPS. Well, not always but it used to be a good joke with friends. Bless you all for your struggles. Hang in there. There are worse things in life, but very traumatic at first.

Attachments:

Patricia, I agree.  Alopecia is really difficult at any age, but it can really be devastating for people who are younger.  Truthfully, my heart breaks for them that they have to go through this.  On top of that, they are forced to deal with a society that has great compassion for cancer patients who lose their hair, but is very quick to brush off people with alopecia.  Hair after cancer treatment comes back.  Hair loss from alopecia may not come back for many years, if ever.  

Can someone ID what type of alopecia I have? Originally told I have Androgenic, but now losing all hair and keeping eyelashes and eyebrows. Is that unique? The dermatologist is seems disinterested in helping me. My labs are normal.

Find a new dermatologist. Sounds like alopecia totalis.

Have you tried squaric acid treatment? A close family friend has seen good regrowth since starting the treatment. A good Chinese herbalist might also be of help.

Hi!

There has been a lot going on in the medical world when it comes to alopecia. Columbia University, Yale, Northwestern in Chicago are all working on developing their own treatments. A close family member who suffers from alopecia has had a lot of success with squaric acid treatment. Eastern medicine, specifically Chinese herbs, have been very helpful as well. I attached here the latest report on research from Columbia University.

Attachments:

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service