I am wondering if alopecians are actually more evolved than humans without the disorder - our white blood cells fight off our hair follicles which leads me to believe we have stronger immune systems. The only reason our disorder is viewed negatively is because we lose something that been venerated or deemed significant by society for several centuries. Many of my lady friends tell me that they wouldn't have the courage to "do what I do" (go bareheaded), and this is because women's hair has always been seen to signify femininity or sexuality (I think in males, long hair is supposed to symbolize courage). These outdated values hold no truth, as appearance has no way of revealing content. So, if all we're up against is losing a characteristic that is in-hair-ently useless (unless you live in an extremely cold climate), and instead equipped with stronger immune systems, aren't we better off?

Views: 1783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brilliant. Thank you...: )

I think your on to something? I was thinking the same thing tje other day wow. With all the issues in the world today you never know.

It may be comforting to think of it this way, but I wonder about the science behind the thought. I think it would fall under adaptation and mutation. In mutation, information is actually lost not gained. Not sure about all that. Hair is not completely useless especially on some parts of our bodies. For instance, our eyelashes protect our eyes from foreign objects. Someone smarter than me should study it.

The word disorder is thrown around a lot. Normal is a statistical mean. Both words are somewhat arbitrary in that neither of these classifications prove any positive or negative quality with respect to the long term survival of a species. I would suggest that our immune systems are not necessarily stronger but that they are more active (deficient is definitely not the right word for our situation). If you have a weak immune system with your alopecia then you may very well get sick as often or more often than someone without alopecia. But, to my understanding, generally alopecians have an increased resistance to viruses and bacteria. Depending on what the future brings this may (or may not) be an advantage that out weighs the disadvantages of having this condition. And I'm pretty sure that this is what Darwin would say because he studied evolution (not fortune telling).

I have an allergy to molds and fungi. When I get exposed I produce an immune response. This is not considered normal and is treated by the medical profession as a disorder. With the knowledge that molds and fungi can be pathogenic (infectious) I am quite happy to have this "allergy" and consider it to be the correct response.

Sorry! LOL! I must be the exception.
I've got hypothyroidism, diabetes, lichen sclerosis, sarciodosis, and a weight problem!
But I am a member of MENSA. so at least my brain works well.

Love your thought process! I've always thought the same thing!

I was told in the beginning that my autoimmunity could cause attach on other needed organs and that it is to blame for my many allergies and skin sensitivities. That being said, no I do not get colds, the flu or other virus type things that seem to go around and neither do my kids and they to not have any signs of AU or any other autoimmunity. While some might go bare headed, myself I will never, while others have "gotten used" to it all I most likely never will as I will not after 40 yrs of this dreaded disorder/disease will even let my picture be taken and just went thru hell at work due to a boss who thought he could fire me because I refused to have a picture taken that was NOT for ID purposes. I do not feel evolved, rather I feel if it were times of survival of the fittest, I would not have survived, surely I would have been seen as a witch or some other evil thing.

Interesting concept...however auto immune diseases really take a toll on our body [maybe not so much alopecia] but I have another auto immune disease and it's really made my life change significantly. Out of the two, alopecia is the least difficult to live with.
When depicting our evolved species science fiction usually has humans with large bald heads, maybe they're on to something lol

I often thought along the same lines. The human species has evolved more and more with less and less hair. We are just the jump in the evolution chain. But I do miss having nasal hairs and my eyelashes. If I never see my scalp hair back, well I KNOW I can survive and thrive without it. Besides I enjoy not looking like the rest of society, F*** society's standards. Its taken me awhile to get to that point but I here now.
Well done Brittany

Oh you brought up a good point! There is such a difference between cosmetic and functional hair. I'd much rather have my eye lashes than my scalp hair!

Anyone in the DC area want to grab a beer and discuss sometime?

My 19 year-old daughter has had AA since she was 2, and she is brilliant. People with AA whom we met through NAAF, including our support group leader in L.A. are also very smart / brilliant people, so I think you got a really good point there.
And that is one definite facet of positive thinking. If you have a chance, attend the annual NAAF conference. You will meet many, many amazing people. My husband and I attended two so far and we were in awe of the beauty and courage exhibited by everyone there.
There is something absolutely ethereal about someone without hair, especially when the person walks with chin up and head held high. I cannot explain it, but I see it and feel it...
My daughter decided to also go "bareheaded" at 16 when she lost all her hair. That was a very difficult transitional period for her, which I can either refer as suffering a death in the family, or a metamorphosis for her. She has transitioned to a much more self-confident, self-assured, focused, determined, courageous, defiant [of the non-accepting and ignorant parts/people of life], and overall, a much more beautiful person. All those great things are attributed to her personal experience with AA.
And I also agree with you, unless you live in cold climate, hair really serves no purpose. It can actually be an annoyance because too much time / money is wasted on it.

I also am extremely healthy-always have been. I hardly even get a cold and haven't been to my doctor in years

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service