I am wondering if alopecians are actually more evolved than humans without the disorder - our white blood cells fight off our hair follicles which leads me to believe we have stronger immune systems. The only reason our disorder is viewed negatively is because we lose something that been venerated or deemed significant by society for several centuries. Many of my lady friends tell me that they wouldn't have the courage to "do what I do" (go bareheaded), and this is because women's hair has always been seen to signify femininity or sexuality (I think in males, long hair is supposed to symbolize courage). These outdated values hold no truth, as appearance has no way of revealing content. So, if all we're up against is losing a characteristic that is in-hair-ently useless (unless you live in an extremely cold climate), and instead equipped with stronger immune systems, aren't we better off?

Views: 1783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your TMI made me smile! Loved reading your reply :)

HI KIm. I am also taking Methotrexate and have been on it for about a year. I have diffuse AA, never lost all hair, but am starting to see significant regrowth. I was wondering if your doctor told you how long you can continue with the Methotrexate as long as the blood work stays normal? I think it is all that is keeping me from turning AT/AU.

Hi Kim! Is this for real? =0

I mean is it only methotrexate or will anything that weakens my immune system help me grow my eyebrows back? I'm already very comfortable bald. I started acting... bald. Just the eyebrows are still a shock to me. I need to express emotions through them. Would very much like to explore this thread of treatment. :(

Awesome post! It is very true what you say about people around us and how they will love us with or without hair. TMI was awesome! People always ask me that, it just makes me laugh! And I love how women get jealous because I have to shave, makes me laugh even more, that is because I am very comfortable with my AU, it took me 15 years, but now I'm 28 and loving it! Couldn't imagine having hair, I think I would loose who I am.

I love that i don't have to shave my legs. But i agree with Jennifer, hair also serves a function. eyebrows and eyelashes r so important. they keep stuff out of Ur eyes. If i had the choice - i think I'd shave my legs and have my hair back... however, i didn't have that choice, so i work every day to understand and accept myself.
I love the empowering context! Unfortunately, I don't think Darwin would say that we are more evolved. In fact, it'simpossible for any member of a species to be mire evolved than another. Evolution happens over millions if years. Natural selection is always at play, but only if the individual who has less advantaged traits die off before the individual can reproduce. Whether alopecia is an advantage is another sorry. Again, sad to say that I don't believe alopecia is an advantage. My immune system targets the wrong things. That doesn't make it more effective. I get sick ALL the time. I want to believe when my immune system is overactive, it helps me fight of viruses and infection better...but not so much. Evolution...no. Benefit...no. Drawback...no more than anyone else out there.

I think we have to be careful not to make ourselves superior OR inferior. It gives the illusion of being separate and we forget we are all the same.

You might enjoy the book SHINE SHINE SHINE...It is a novel that came out about a year ago about Sunny, a woman with AU (was born that way) and her highly functioning Austistic husband who is employed by NASA...in my amazon.com review (I'm libragirl) I pose that exact same question. As we evolve do we lose the "need" for hair? Do we lose the need to relate to other humans for survival in a "normal" way (autism)...It is hard to say & though I doubt it, it is an interesting concept nonetheless...I have AU as well at this point, started as AA about 15 years ago.

Also, i have AU .... No hair any where..

Exactly! I wrote about this awhile ago from the perspective of human evolution - the trend is for less hair...look at our closest relatives, the chimpanzees. Alopecians may represent the future appearance of our species.

By the way, if you haven't gotten Pam Fitros' book "Boldly Bald Women", I highly recommend it. It contains the stories of many women who feel the same way you do, Brittany. It's available on Amazon.

there goes my theory Grrr thank Gia

Hey, lighten up. Not necessary to say something like "if it makes you feel superior".

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service