Hey there, this is only my first proper post, so sorry, but its gonna be long :) I started wearing wigs about 2.5 years ago. Starting off first with a synthetic Jon Reneau & quickly moving on to full lace human hair wigs. I have androgenic alopecia or diifuse alopecia areata (they couldn't decide!) Had been loosing my hair since I was 16, so after years of lamenting, I bit the bullet, shaved the head and got into wigs :) Having lost a lot of my confidence over those years, I'm only now starting to sort of gain it back. I've always wanted to learn how to swim & surf, so have been trying but am struggling to find the right set-up of wig (or wigs) to get me through easily. Since I bond my full wig with tape,I don't really have issues with how secure it is, my question moreso is: Is it possible to continue an active lifestyle, including waterpsorts, whilst maintaining a decent looking wig (ones thats attached to your head I mean :))? I can't afford a Follea etc type wig, plus I think most people would scream if I suggested swimming or surfing in them! I buy cheaper FL wigs from China online, thats all I can afford,theres not a lot available n my area plus I like the lengths & realistic part lines of them. However, I could see them easily being ruined by all this water activity + extra washing; my current wig is already drying out and matting a bit.Also, I don't think freedom type wigs would suit due to price and the presence of head stubble :) Does anyone else do this kind of stuff? And how do they maintain the wig or wigs? It's possible I asking for too much, but I'm still not ready to go au naturel :( any suggestions welcome xx

Views: 43500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been wearing wigs for 13 years. . . wow time flies.

I have AA, so do wear my natural hair sometimes with scarves.

Invest in a wig as you would a trip to the salon. 

If you say wigs are too expensive (no judgement here), then think about all the other ways you spend your money:  trips, movies, coffee, gas, kids items, quick trips to the store, fast food, nail salon, groceries, . . .etc.

There are times I am sad about the hair situation, but overall I am loving the girliness of accessorizing with wigs.  Invest in a style that suits you.

I usually buy two of the same wig to make sure I have it when the other one gets ratty.  If it gets ratty, that is an excuse to shop--oops--I mean accessorize a new one :)

Invest--get that coin jug honey.  Much love to all my alopecia friends.

I have had AU for 30 plus years.  It grew back once and stuck around 20 years.  I have no hopes of it ever coming back this time.  Been 6 years.  Anyway......I got a new Freedom Wig.  Should be here before Christmas.  I'm excited as I started the process in JUNE.  So how did I justify the price? I looked back on the money I have spent on wigs over the years and the money that will be spent I figured the freedom was the better value in the long run.

Also, when in the pool I wear a swim cap.  The pool is my private pool.  I I were out in public I wear a scarf and don't get it wet.  I live in Florida so am either in the pool or at the beach.  I do not plan of wearing my Freedom in the pool or at the beach.

My only solution has been to carry an extra wig just in case. . . there's a story. :) tee hee

I usually bring a swim cap that I've had for years (the sturdy rubber kind). I feel like an oddball, but at least I enjoy the swimming.

Once on this site, I found a company that makes a wig with attached scarf just for swimming but have not been able to find it since.  (please help). Maybe it's a company/product for the kids.

Anyhow, I love to travel and refuse to let my hair stop me from traveling.

My wig was searched by a jealous airport staff, so now I just wear a headband.  I am fully prepared to ask for a private search in the future if I choose to do so.  These are decisions I have made with tears, yet with a staunch desire to not let this thing (which I have no control over) stop me from enjoying life.

I keep getting back up and keep trying.

Have fun with your summer events.  Don't let this "hair thing" stop you.

Jacquelyn can I ask what is the brand of the wigs you have 

@ Jacquelyn Taylor.  Talk about vain and paranoid. Geez

How is this vain or paranoid? Her level of what she wants to reveal to whom and when is her business. The only person who knew outside of my parents (I've had AA for 44 years and was dx'd at 10) was my late husband. I do the exact same thing - I wear my wig all the time, wear it in the shower with a shower cap, and any extra wigs are in my closet. I have lifelong friends who don't know about my situation. Did you ever give any thought that she doesn't want to be vulnerable, or that this is how she controls her alopecia? And frankly, if you weren't vain, you wouldn't be wearing a wig either.

I'm not that bad.  I would never wear one in the shower.  Really?  All my friends and relatives know although have they have never seen my bare head. I have one wig and soon to have a Freedom.  I'm not paranoid about the situation.

I wear Amore synthetics for non-water exercise.  I have one that is very close to my human hair wig in color and cut.  If I exercise a lot, I just wash it every week.  

For water exercise, I've had two options: (1) I go bald.  I've gone to the pool at the gym and just not worn anything on my head.  No one said a thing to me, everyone was very accepting, and it was a good learning moment for me to be bald in public -- it worked out and gradually made me a feel a little more confident about my hair loss in a general way.  (2) I've had the water wig from Amy Gibson's Created Hair, which I've really liked.  The water wig has a special, very thin cap that is water permeable, and a special synthetic hair fiber that isn't damaged by pool or ocean water.  It's soft and natural looking. and very easy to wash.  

I think if you're not sure, a regular swim cap is another great option; keep a wig in your bag and switch out in the bathroom.

I would not recommend swimming in human hair, because the caps typically aren't made to be water permeable and the hair is more sensitive to chemicals like chlorine and also to salt water.  

I haven't done anything crazy with mine but I have a hat magic by Jon reneau. It's cheap and light weight. I throw it on with a hat that's put in fairly tight and go for it. I have gone hiking and kayaking with it so far. Planning to get on some jet skis soon! Best of luck

It need a swin cap for hair or wigs when swiming,

there are some good hair or wigs choice for you http://www.irhair.com

best regards.

You can find some great wigs at reasonable price from here http://bit.ly/HairWigs

get a hair for vip beauty hair and try 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service