Hii Guys ..
first of all I'm not a sufferer of alopecia but I'd like to tell u guys that I really love U all I love ur bald heads , because simply my fiance is one of you ..
he's a sufferer of alopecia Universalis , to tell u the truth when I first saw him I didn't realize he had any problem , I thought he just has a bald head , by time I realised his problem , I searched on the internet to understand this condition ,and it was enough for me to know that this is an autoimmune condition that the immunity system attack the hair follicle and the regrowth is possible at anytime , and its a "genetic disease" .. I didn't care much abt this word "genetic" then,
now we're engaged for 8 months ,as I told u I don't see something bad with his baldness, I totally accept his appearance , however we never talked about this Issue ,he didn't tell me about the disease since we met all he've said that he lost his hair since he was 18 , I didn't ask ..and he didn't tell anything more ..
Unfortunately when I was googling the disease one more time in the last few weeks , I was shocked to read that the condition is hereditary , it was a big shock to me I totally understand and accept his suffering but I don't want our children suffer too .. I'm so sorry guys maybe I'm so rude
please guys I need to know is this true or not ?what did ur dermatologists tell u concerning this issue ? to what extent does the disease pass to children ?if so will it pass to boys or girls ? do u know real cases that the father passed the AU to his kids ? if it happens will they experience it from childhood or after then ? by the way ,he has no family history except from normal pattern alopecia of his father , ,

Views: 7898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi I've suffered with alopecia since I was about 17 and lost all my hair by 18i believe it is hereidtary my grandma had it my dad has it my 2 brothers have it and I have it. I too battled with myself as to what happens if I pass this on to my children, it took me a long time but now have decided not to have children. I couldn't knowinly put someone else through what I've been though I couldn't live with the guilt. I know not everyone thinks like this its just how I feel. Good luck x

you are very brave, blessings and hugs.

I understand your fears but there is very little you can be sure of when you have kids. I have always been really healthy but my kids have some different things going on but that is just the chance you take when you have kids. One will be good in school, one won't and one will be in sports and one won't--it is a huge crapshoot. So--sit down with your financee and discuss this but if he is a keeper, don't let lack of hair and/or fear of the future keep you from marrying this guy.

Hi - I agree with what some others have said - there are worse things you can pass to your children. I was first diagnosed with AA at the age of 25. I have a niece that was diagnosed at age 14. It was a comfort to her to have an aunt to share her experience with. If your children do happen to have it - they will have a parent who knows what they are going through and can support them through it. Best wishes to you and your fiancé on your marriage!

Danette

You can never be sure of anything in life. There is no history of it in my family, yet I have it. To base whether or not to pursue this relationship because of "maybe" is quite unreasonable. Anyone can be afflicted with anything at anytime. Yes, we use wisdom but in the same respect are you buying a car and looking for a warranty? Life has no warranty except that we all suffer loss in many ways and the important thing is attitude and making the best of whatever situation you are in. I pray that you have the strength to go through whatever happens and wish you blessings and love.

Hi, if it makes you feel any better, I'm the only one in my family with AU. The claims of it being hereditary I wouldn't 100% believe. When my wife searched the Internet it says there was always a chance to pass it on, but wasn't a very high chance of it.
Hi!
Every doctor I've ever been to said it was definitely hereditary.
But also, once two carriers got together, there was just a small chance of any type of slope is being passed on.

My son started losing his eyebrows at 4, and without any hair my 9. Everyone in my family and my husbands has a full head of hair. There was a study done is Itlay linking gluten with hair loss. My son has 2 other disorders that are caused by gluten. I have noticed that he will grow a stray hair now and then, maybe a little fuzz, but if he is exposed to gluten it falls out and I do not see anything for a few months. If you see any signs I would have your future child tested for gluten and maybe if you catch it early enough that would help.

I have had AU for over 40 years now,it did not show up until after the birth of our first child. I have given birth to 3 children ages now 40, 25 and almost 21 yrs and I am happy to say so far none have shown any signs of alopecia. I am also here to say no one ever before or since me has ever had alopecia. I was told that while it is a form of autoimmune disease, alopecia is simply the form my body chose to take, while my aunt on my mothers side was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the age of 16 and that too is an autoimmune disease, so you can worry about alopecia or all the many forms of autoimmune disease (80+)there are out there, which my kids do not have either, or you can just love your intended and any children you may have and enjoy life as it comes.

Yes, from what I gather that possibility exist.

Hello:)

Having children is a gamble. No one in my family or in my husbands family has had alopecia. But our two year old daughter just got diagnosed with alopecia totalis. So you never know, but it cold have beeen so much worse. We handle it well and she is a happy littel girl:) I am happy to have known a guy who lost his hair at the age of 18. He was just a friend on a Folkehøgskole but I think of his strength and vision on life still today. It helps me think positive for my daughters future:) He is a musician today and engaged actually:)

Best whishes from Norway

I don't know if this will help, I am 48, suffering from AA since I was 18. I've decided to totally accept it, even wearing a wig every day, thinking of it as a blessing, as I don't know of any other woman who could look as stunning as me , taking only 15 minutes to get ready for any function! So whether your kids are going to have it or not, their acceptance is going to depend on how you are going to handle it. Even my husband doesn't care, enjoying the compliments I am getting about my beautiful hair. My children, I am going to teach them, if they ever will suffer from the same problem, just to accept it. Good luck.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service