I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I take LDN, prescribed by my funcional Dr. It has to be compounded at the pharmacy. I would be reluctant to try it if it didn't come from a pharmacy that knows how to compound it. Find a functional physician, they will be more helpful with this prescription. It's fairly inexpensive, 129.00 for 90 day supply.

I thought it was working great and then my hair fell out again. Maybe too much sugar during the holidays. It can't hurt to take it.

thank you Carlie. Its sad that you lost it :(. I was hoping it might help. Did you stop taking it and then it fell? did u havr complete growth at that time?

It seemed to come in quickly to about 1/4 of an inch fine hairs all over my

head before lost it all. I'm still taking the LDN but I stopped the minoxidil. I will continue the LDN and hopefully it will eventually work. I'm AU.

thank you so much Frida!

Can we use ldn and xeljanz together ?

I don't see why not. LDN is not harmful at all. It's actually like taking a supplement.

When xeljanz is working by suppressing the immune system,LDN is trying to treat it by strengthening it.I think that this can cause both of them to have low effectiveness when used together.

is LDN strength ening the immune system? that shouldnt be good right? we dont want our immune system to be atronger

Everywhere I read it says that LDN strengthens the immune system and normalizes it. It is used as a adjunct treatment option in cancer and MS disease.But it says it can be used in autoimmune diseases.

now im afraid to take it

Xeljanz does not suppress the immune system it's a Jak inhibitor that blocks the part of our immune system that signals the attack on our hair follicles.  LDN is used for a number of Auto Immune diseases. It tricks your body into thinking it hasn't produced enough endorphins, so while you're sleeping your body produces more endorphins, doubling the endorphin production. There's a lot of information out there, on LDN. It's all very interesting.  

I'm going to UCSF in Feb and if I can by some chance get Xeljanz, I will use both. The LDN has helped my physical well being.

As of 2016, LDN is most commonly being used for Chronic Fatigue, Multiple Sclerosis, Myelagic Encephalopathy, autoimmune thyroid diseases and various cancers. Many autoimmune diseases seem to respond to LDN.

This is a wide range of diseases and many clinicians will find it difficult to understand how one drug can have a positive effect on all these pathologies.

The first thing to understand is that Naltrexone – the drug in LDN – comes in a 50:50 mixture of 2 different shapes (called isomers). It has been recently discovered that one particular shape binds to immune cells, whilst the other shape binds to opioid receptors.

Although consisting of exactly the same components, the two isomers appear to have different biological activity.

Summary of mechanism of action

The summary of 10 years of research is that LDN works because:

Levo-Naltrexone is an antagonist for the opiate/endorphin receptors

• This causes increased endorphin release
  • Increased endorphins modulate the immune response
  • This reduces the speed of unwanted cells growing Dextro-Naltrexone is an antagonist for at least one, if not more immune cells
  • Antagonises “TLR,” suppressing cytokine modulated immune system
  •  Antagonises TLR-mediated production of NF-kB – reducing inflammation, potentially downregulating oncogenes

thank you for the valuable scientific info

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service