Hi Friends--

I want to thank so many for following my discussion link, "My Stanford trial experience, Part 2 (Xeljanz)" throughout the bulk of 2015. I began participation in the trial in late January, got my first RX for Xeljanz in February, and started to see the first signs of regrowth 3 1/2 months in. After the trial ended, I opted to stay on the drug, and now I am a post-trial patient for the doctors at Stanford. I will continue to fly up there from Los Angeles once every 3 months or so to provide them more data with the hope that maybe the FDA will one day approve Xeljanz for alopecia! As long as my bloodwork remains healthy, I anticipate staying on the drug for the forseeable future. I have had no negative side effects on Xeljanz since I started. If anything, it has calmed down my overactive immune system and possibly helped settle some food sensitivities I had been developing last year.

I am starting this discussion because I really hope those of us who are currently on Xeljanz (or are about to begin) will want to keep tabs on each other. I have read some posts on other links where patients stopped or reduced the drug, and their hair began to quickly fall out. However, I DO know that alopecia can go into remission. It did for me from early 2009 until the end of 2012. Four years of spontaneous remission! With no drugs. I hold onto hope that Xeljanz may help push some of us into remission, allowing us to taper back on the dosage for some time without devastating relapse. Maybe that's not in the cards. In any case, we are the lab rats right now! So, we need to look after each other and share our stories--whether they are good or bad. My attached photo shows me a week ago--12/15/15. I will continue to post more photos as time goes by. Please all do the same. Let's band together in 2016 and get some viable treatments approved for this cruel disorder!

XO
Susan

Views: 21906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ah that's so good to hear :) you look beautiful by the way! do you know anything about when this drug could be available publicly? 

It's available by prescription, I was just lucky enough to have a dr willing to try something new and who was big in the research part of autoimmune disease. He just retired this past October but did speak to many other doctors in his group about my success in hopes of further study.

Merry Christmas!!

A Film Noir Christmas...
Attachments:
Great post Susan ! I have been on it for 8 weeks now with just tiny vellus hairs and terminal hairs and velvus hairs on my beard. No brow or eyelash yet and I have some terminal hairs in other places .

ADML got xeljanz from turkey and they where legit so it might be worth taking a trip to turkey and is cheaper in turkey too.

Thank you! I'm currently on a Vytorin clinical trial and it seems to be working, but not as well as Xeljanz I think! Good luck to you. Thank you for doing this work for the rest of us. <3

Is that a jak inhabitor?

No, it's a cholesterol drug! 

http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(14)02131-8/abstract

Thanks just checked that out. Plz keep us updated a lot of people don't seem to reply to me on this .. Not sure why.. But would appreciate if you did thanks
It is a jak inhibitor, increase of cholesterol is a side effect of the drug.

"Jak inhibitor?"   I tried to research this on Google and was quickly in over my head.   

Thanks Courtney !

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service