AU has taken all our hair away. We all cope with this in different ways. I have had eyebrows tattooed on (twice) but thats a different story ! I dont miss leg hair, no more razors in the shower, or the need to have a bikini wax, god that was painful, no more morning panic's as you pull on your top ready for work, only to find you have hairy armpits.
The thing I miss is eyelashes they make such a difference to your face.
What do you miss most?

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

Hey! You know what I miss most? Feeling normal. I hate feeling self-conscious all the time and noticing how people often look up at my yucky wig (I think they're noticing that I don't have an actual hair line or part) when they're talking to me - they don't keep eye contact. I really hate how it has affected the way I interact with people - I used to be so much more outgoing! But, Gill, have you tried gluing on eyelashes? There are several styles that are very natural looking, although I usually trim them some. I "make" lower lashes out of upper ones by bending and trimming those, too. I sleep in them and rarely have to take them off and reglue them.
Well yes I did try them, it was like a sketch out of a comady show.
I wear glasses, and need to wear then to see ! So, sat on my bed, with mirror on sill, on the magnified side, glasses twisted, so I can see one eye with the other !! Glue at the ready, glasses slip, back to stage one! After an hour, I have them on, they itched but I kept them on. Went to the xmas party, got chatting to a guy, who was hot !!!! sitting at the bar staring into each others eyes, my imagination was working overtime, when I saw a strange look in his eyes, he just popped to the bathroom, 15 mins later no sign of him. I went to check my wig was on properly, looked in the mirror, when to my horror I saw that one of my eyelashes had come a drift and one end was stuck to my glasses, looking like a large hairy spider right across my eyes. Not a good look. Unfortunatly in UK we only get lashes that are meant to last for a night, these didnt last more than a few hours.
Would like to know thw make you can wear for days.
I found there is a makeup that you brush on like makeup that actually has hair in them for eyebrows. I will find the link.
I agree I think the thing I miss the most is my eye lashes......I wear false lashes and they work great for looks but for the fuction of keeping things from getting in my eyes not so much. I really miss my eye lashes!
I miss my eyelashes too!!!! I never got a chance to wear mascara!!!!
I have to agree, don't miss shaving the legs or pits (never did wax). I do miss my lashes and brows as I feel I have a naked face with out them and I will no longer do the fake lashes and pencil brows, they just draw attention to a part of me I don't want attention to. The other thing I really miss is being able to wear an up do hair style.
I also miss being in family photos, I will not allow any pictures of me as I did once for my mother in law, and the picture was awful, with this horrible synthetic thing sitting on my head, it was not me, it did not look like me, I looked terrible and vowed never to allow it again.
I miss just being normal.....I have been AU for about 9 months. The eyebrows and eyelashes are the worst part! I feel like people are starring at me all the time. I think they are thinking "what's wrong with her?" My wig isn't bad but I wonder how I can go to a water park or something like that with my kids. It definitely takes some getting used to.
no..you'd be surprised..most people don't notice that you don't have eyelashes or eyebrows. I got my eyebrows tatooed..a lot of girls do that so people don't really notice.
you could try a vacuum wig..they are more secure
I don't know Helena...it didn't work for me though.
I miss being normal too but am thankful that I don't have something worse, like cancer or quadraplegia, for example. I've had AU for 13 years. When I first lost my hair, I was a receptionist! Talk about jumping in! I don't enjoy the summer very much because wigs are so warm and participating in some summer activities isn't possible. I wish I could afford a vacuum wig which would allow for more activities (but not help with the heat) but it's hard to spend $3,000 or so every 4 or 5 years and extra for repairs. I wish my insurance company would pay (they pay for chemo baldness only) but it's a big ordeal and sometimes you have to get a lawyer to represent you. I've started the process because the last time I tried to get the wig I really like (Whisper Lite by Estetica) it was back ordered. I'm afraid they'll stop making them. They are cheaper than a vacuum wig but you have to buy one 3 or 4 times a year. After you wash them, they lose their body, curls and some color. After washing a second or third time, they don't look good at all. I've tried conditioners, etc. but they help just so much. I had one type of gel to give it body that I really liked, but they stopped making it. The whole situation is a big nuisance!
I too miss eyebrows and eyelashes.
Having them tattood makes a huge diffrence. I just dont look so expressionless or void with them.
I have to agree eyelashes are so handy keeping things out of the eyes.

Jeff

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service