Ryan Mcdonald, a boy with alopecia, shot to death by peer in Tennessee

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212166767.shtml

I just wanted to share this with everyone.
Some teens can be so vile. I work in a high school and have dealt with teasing as an adult. I can't imagine for a teenager going through it.
RIP Ryan.

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is horrible. Hopefully the kid who shot him will be put away for a long long time.
I am sickened by this- I am waiting to see if it comes out what reason the boy who shot the other gives as to why he did it-Connor is almpst 4 and I get worried about what he will have to deal with as he grows older and starts school
Hi

I think this type of thing is every parents nightmare. How does it happen and why??????

I have never personally had to deal with bullying until recently when I have had it perpetrated in a very underhanded way (as all bullying is). This was done by adults and I'm continually shocked at the behaviour that goes on amongst us. If we can't stop it as adults how on earth can we teach our beautiful children. Malicious words and behaviour are unacceptable there is never justification in my mind.

So, very sad for all involved.

Rosy
I think it is a very scary thing as well. I too, have been "bullied" by teens, laughed at, pointed at and mocked. It is very hard to deal with it. I work as a therapist to teenagers in a high school and have been for about 6 years. Over the years I come to realize something. First, it is always the ones that do not know you who have something to say about you. Second, these teenagers only care about themselves and think it is "cool" to make fun of someone. Third, feeding into them doesn't work. The best way I feel I have handled it is to just ignore them or look at them to acknowledge tem, but do nothing else. I realize that "the ones who mind don't matter, and the ones who matter don't mind." Don't feed into the bullies!!! And for the kids in school who have Alopecia, have an ally. This can be a teacher, counselor, other staff member, or your true friends that will be on your side. Bullying is not acceptable in my school and it shouldn't be in yours either!!
Bullying isn't acceptable at the schools in my area either however that doesn't stop it from occuring. From another who was bullied throughout school, there is so much going on beyond what teachers, counselors and volunteers see. It was bad 20 years ago and it has only gotten worse with a larger portion of female bullies now which makes things worse for young ladies with alopecia. The articles about Ryan Mcdonald's death suggest he developped an exterior tough guy image or attitude to defend himself against unwanted attention but there seem to be a lot of teens on here that have wonderful, positive attitudes which I'm sure can be tricky to introduce in a rough neighbourhood. What this comes around to though is that we must induce positive attitudes in those with alopecia and make sure that the community is aware of alopecia, especially school staff and peers. This was absent in my rearing and thus made for a very challenging childhood.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service