How has AU affected your fingernails? I have one that's pretty riddled with pin-like indentions. Several of the others are oddly shaped and get the pin-sized indentions from time to time. My dermatologist told me (a long long time ago) that your fingernails are flattened, elongated hairs.

Views: 1753

Replies to This Discussion

Is this new for you Roger?
Ive been having this since the beginning of my AU. Many years now.
My little girls nails on all 10 fingers and all 10 toes are what the doc called pitted I softly file them smooth for her there are a bunches of small pin like indentions she loves the pretty hot pink polish so she doesn't mind me filing them once or twice a week
I have always had ridges in my nails, but never associated it with the AA until now. I don't really ever remember when the nails weren't "rippley" but then again I have been diagnosed with AA now AU for 25 yrs!! I also used to have acrylic nails done about every 2 weeks and just attributed the ridges to that (it really is bad on the nails) but come to think of it, seemed to really rip mine up when my friends didn't seem to have the same problem. Nails grow ok, now just not real long. Who'd've thunk it?? AA craziness!! My sister, (who has enough hair for 3 people) has to "not" take any supplements because she has to have her hair cut too often if she does they work so well! LOL I have always heard that gelatin tablets help alot with hair growth, prenatal vitamins always helped me too ( not hair growth just nails) when I had my boys. Never had any nails fall off or get infected. Veddy inturrrestinggg!!
Hi! I lost my hair at 45 but always had ridges in my nails. My dad - who had a beautiful head of hair until the day he died at 80 - also had deep ridges on his nails. Not sure if it related to alopecia. I use Sally Hansen Hard as Gel and no ridges appear under nail polish. However, since I lost my hair, my beautiful, strong, long nails are a thing of the past. They are very thin and I can''t seem to grow them past the top of my finger or else they split.
This also happened to me when my hair first fell out. I had the pin prick indentions mostly in my thumbs, but my other nails became horribly weak and would crack length-wise with the slightest pressure. They really got sore because most the time they would continue to rip off past the quick, some of them would start to bleed.
I started taking some Calcium supplements and it got much better. Now I take prenatal vitamins for my pregnancy and my nails are super strong and now grow really fast. Good luck!
My son was born with the tiny pin like indentations on his nails. I thought it looked like a golf ball surface. A few years later we discovered the alopecia. I didn't know it was connected until I learned more about alopecia reading on the internet. The web and internet has been a big help for us.
My ring finger on my right hand always has like a split like there are 2 nails about halfway from the front thru the middle at all times.
My nails are a mess, so ridged, and they come away from the bed sometimes half way down, they are a nasty colour. one minute they are splitting and falling to bits and my hands look like a builders, then the nails start to grow, like tallons and I can paint them and they look great.
I don't have any nail symptoms with my alopecia , but I'd like to know if any of the women with pitting or ridges have have good results with silk wraps or powder/gel coatings. That's like creating a tough and smooth nail surface on top of your existing nails.

Thanks for sharing,

Thea
baldgirlsdolunch.org
I'm sure I have said this but once again....I take Biotin and my nails are strong as metal. Just ask my manicurist

Jeffrey
I have not tried the Biotin that Jeffery talks about but I think I am going to. What I have been using that has really helped is Starting Over After Artificials it is by Salon Sciences and you can buy it from Sally's. Once you put 2 coats on you can not see the ridges or pits and it has stopped the peeling and splitting. It is really for damaged nails but I guess ours would qualify. I will let you know about the Biotin.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service