How has AU affected your fingernails? I have one that's pretty riddled with pin-like indentions. Several of the others are oddly shaped and get the pin-sized indentions from time to time. My dermatologist told me (a long long time ago) that your fingernails are flattened, elongated hairs.

Views: 1753

Replies to This Discussion

My nails only become a problem when I use nail polish and remover-not sure which item does the damage-but it took me several years to figure this out-now nail polish is a big no no.
I'm anxious to start classical guitar lessons and am trying, in the meantime, to teach myself finger techniques. The fact that my fingernails barely grow at all and break easily quite bothers me. Anyone have any luck with supplements or have some classical guitar playing success stories to share?
You could try taking Biotin 5mg daily for your nails.
I have ridges on all my nails and occasionally I get indentations.
They are still thick but aren't very flexible so instead of bending they tend to snap off down one of the ridges towards the cuticle causing bleeding so I have to make sure I keep them as short as possible.
No affect on my nails at all. My nails are actually growing and they are strong, shapely and beautiful. I did read about alopecia affecting your nails....I pray mine remain as they are today.
After reading the other email. I do take a Biotin supplement daily so that may be the case for my nails.
I lost all of my fingernails about a month after my hair started to fall out. They are growing back. I am taking biotin and a prenatal and calcium+D...I'm hoping they will continue to grow out and stop splitting...I have been putting on a clear "vitamin" polish. They look nicer with the polish than they do without it. I'm hoping it will help them stop spitting.
Best of luck! I take Biotin too 5mg daily as well as Vit D 2000iu.

I have PIN holes and little ridges on most, and at times they can be a slightly brittle, but really strong.

I had the same when I got universals, except not strong at all! After a few months it became better after taking supplements and my nails recovered to what they have always been, kind of smooth but here and there a little denty.

I started noticing vertical striations and nail flaking shortly after AU. I began taking Biotin and it really helped. After a few months, nails were normal. I got lazy and stopped Biotin and soon, the nails were getting the white looking striations again, toenails too. I am a firm believer in the Biotin (over the counter). Still, not a hair in sight! Definitely pro's and con's. LOL

I had a very bad experience with deformed fingernails. Always get broken, fall off etc. They were extra weak, it was like one stong thick layer divided into 5 seperate weak layers on top of each other. This went on like 1 year. After 1 year, strong fingernails started to grow from the root, eventually weak fingernails replaced by the normal, healthy ones again. Now they are fine.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service