How many people on this site just end up bicing the remains and go smooth bald?

Views: 751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found shaving my head was the best thing i ever did, it was such a relif to not have to worry about my hair, was it in the right place to cover the spots.
I notice many of the respondents to this thread are women, and that's not surprising really. I developed AA when I was 13 and had it all shaved off by the time I was 15 or 16. Still is. But I'm a guy. AA has been a traumatizing factor in my life, that's for damn sure. But I've frequently been glad that I'm not a woman going through this. Guys can get away with shaved heads more easily than women can, I would imagine.

Honestly, I'm a little pissed that my AA isn't as bad as it could be. All or nothing, you know? I've had about 60% of my hair in varying configurations for 11 years. It'd be a relief if I just lost it all, I think. But it's no big deal. It takes me three minutes to shave my head in the shower every morning. It could be way worse.
For a guy, being completely bald has been a fashion statement for longer than I can remember, so being bald is not as stigmatizing as it is for a woman -- it doesn't minimize your feelings of loss or upset any, just pointing out a factual observation: It IS easier to live with alopecia as a man than it is as a woman. This is primarily due to the patriarchal society that we live in that puts womens' images on such a pedestal and sees said women as freaks or rejects because we don't fit the established image.

I know how you feel though, about sometimes wishing it was all gone and being done with it. I just hate any kind of maintenance when it comes to dealing with hair, especially since I went for so long without it. Nowadays, I almost wish I had AT or AU instead of severe AA just so I didn't have to deal with the maintenance of shaving my legs and arms and head to cover up all the spots. Can't say that I would like to lose my eyebrows, but my eyelashes constantly come in and fall out too, so I just want to have it all gone and be done with it. How strange is that???
It's not strange at all, I think. If you have a condition and it's a done deal (which, for most of us it is) why wouldn't you wanna just be done with it? I wish it was total because I have black hair and no matter how close I shave it, my AA is still pretty obvious. C'est la vie I suppose.
This is not strange at all...I feel the same way! But check this out... Now I am getting a lot of gray course hairs growing in on the sides of my head and if I shave/bic them, they start the hair bumps in that area. I have been able to keep them from turning into ingrown hairs but now I have a new set of issues!!! WT?????

Just when I really want to rock my baldness, I may have to get a lace front wig for a while to see what is going on with my head once again...this is the craziness of AA. I should just pluck the dumb hairs out with tweezers!!! LOL :)
I agree, Yokasta, I think that if my hair loss has got this bad, why doesn't it all just go? I've got used to my bald head now & would love not to have to shave if it. Now if only I could swap my hair on head for some eyelashes, I'd be one happy girl!

I definiteley think that if you've got severe AA and can't cover the patches that shaving is the way to go - my head looks a lot better bald than half long straggly hair and half shiny bald scalp!
Bald in recent years has become more of a fashion statement for women.
My wife is naturally bald, and she is beautiful bald, she has alopecia universalis.

We know a young lady who has a full head of hair who shaves her head very smooth and bald for fashion reasons, and because her husband likes her bald. And I know she also likes being bald.
To me, being a man, to me a woman looks better completely bald with a smooth head, than just partially bald.

So get a good razor, and lather up your head and go for it lady! Wear that beautiful bald look, women can look so good being smooth and bald! Just look at some of the photos of some of these gorgeous bald women on this website!
i did but i always have to shave lol
I did it!...As I wrote in my homepage when alopecia started I had lots of bald spots all around my head....and,as I had short hair,they were very visible...so I decided to shave my remaining hair completely
I had to do it every 2 or 3 days in order to prevent the bald spots from being visible.
In december my hair started to re-grow,now I have just a bald "patch" between the right ear and the neck....as I say..far from the eye far from the heart...I'm not sure this turn of phrase can be translated litterally in english ,but I hope you understand the meaning on th whole :)

p.s.At the beginning I used a "shaving/trimming machine"(Panasonic for professionals ER 149A titanium coated blade)...but as the bald spots were growing more and more I found that razors did a smoother work.

Now..with most of my hair back I re-started using my Panasonic..I keep my hair no longer than 15mm(5/8'')
I probaby next summer I will shave it again...but it depends if I can loose some weight by then...last summer i was slimmer than now ..and..even with a just started alopecia I felt beautiful...and looked realy nice with my smooth head.But now..I would look "puffy":)
I did. I figured it wasn't worth the trauma; waking up everyday with hair all over my pillow, or all over my hands when I was in the shower. I began to get used to my patches and breakage, then more would fall out or breat off. I didn't want to suffer anymore, so I just shaved the rest. I still do!!! I looks more even and feels better!
At what point in your hair loss should you shave it off? I still have quite a bit of hair and i've never lost all of my hair, but i'm not sure if i'm ready to shave it all off yet. If it's all going to fall out, then i want to shave it off today, but if its going to stop falling out and grow back, then i just want to keep it. Erg..i wish there were answers. Everyone says its so liberating, but i don't want to regret it if i end up shaving it all off. If i still have a fairly full head of hair, should i shave it do avoid the disappointment or watching it fall out everyday?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service