Hello everyone! Finally got a break and had a chance to join this wonderful group. Just wanted to say hello and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I know you people get it and that is awesome. Even though my husband says he will love me when I am bald (and I know he will because he is that kind of guy) it really doesn't change the fact that I am ticked off about this whole "Alo-take a piece - out of me" disease....

Needless to say I am here to meet people who have kicked this beast's butt and lead HAPPY lives.

I sure could use some advice on realistic looking wigs. The three I have bought recently and by the way I absolutely hate just dont' cut it for me. They all look like "Big Hair". Don't get me started on the place where I bought them from in Ottawa and the uncaring person who was more interested in the sales than the individual.....

Gee I am sounding a little angry but really I am not... I am just super stressed about not looking like me.....no one wants to look like "Mannequin Head"! So if anyone can give me so good advice on wigs and where to get them in Ottawa...Toronto area I would really appreciate it. I am not keen on ordering online things as the pictures don't look like the actual product...

Well gotta goooo....nasty thunderstorm ....don't want a lightening bolt to the head which may leave a weird scar......Oh heck yes I do! Why not! If people are going to star then give them something to stare at! Bet you are all thinking right now they need to screen who they let join Alopecia World! My hubby still wonders about me daily....LOL

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry about the caps people...didn't read the bit about caps until after I posted this....will be more careful next time....
hi Lori,
I've been wearing a wigs for 35 years. I've worn several different brands; Revlon, Rene of Paris, Noriko, Alan Thomas, and Raquel Welch. I purchase them from a salon or online. AAA-wigs.com is the least expensive so far. I've always worn synthetic wigs but am interested in learning more about the vacuum pieces. Good luck with your search. .
Hi Lori! Gosh the one wig I have is called Aries by Revlon and it is big hair... I even had it thinned down and still yuck....It all goes back to it looks nothing like my real hair so when people see me they will know it is a wig...No way I could pull that off. I am just worried about buying online because the colors are so hard to figure out.....I have seen in the wig shops the color swatches and when the wigs come in they are different. I had one ordered that was supposed to be three colors and I thought it would be chunks. It was three colors but completely blended together and yuck again.... Just hate the color selections out there. They just seem so tame..... With ordering online some of the sites you only get one exchange....not good.....
You know Bogie that sounds like a great idea...the whole spa thing! I was reading your profile and the bit about your ex ordering you to grow your hair....what a jerk! That is like telling him to grow a certain body part on himself.....makes me mad. You sound like a great lady!

Ohhhh the one wig shop I went to here in Ottawa which is supposed to be the best was horrid....I asked her what style would suit me and she skirted around that by saying that women automatically tend to know what suits them...She said the same thing for color as well....I couldn't believe it...

Soooooo I am 44 yrs old and I think if I went in there and I asked for something midnight black and long down to my waist and spikey...you know something really Goth because I have a, I don't know, dead fettish (which I don't! LO ) she would let me walk right out the door with it despite the fact that I am 44 yrs old and have an oblong face and a skin tone with freckles and hazle eyes. You soooo know that those colors and that style would look horrid on me even if I did want to look like Elvira. My point is we don't all have a fashion sense and let me tell you I just have to look at pictures of me in the 80's with the Blonde Bonnie Tyler Big hair to know that! LOL..... This lady just wanted to sell you a wig and that was it.......The color of one of the wigs that she did sell me ended up being really dark and I look like really pale....Just a nightmare.....LOL
Hi Lori welcome to the wonderful community you will sure find very great people here. there alot of people who will recoomend what they are using. have you tried Peggy Knight solution, if your google it you sure will find it. hope it help
I've been to Continental Hair in Toronto. They're a bit pricey but you'll get something nice. You can go online to many places too and although you can't try on a variety of wigs, some of them will let you take a picture of yourself and you can try the wigs on "virtually". It's kinda cool. Just make sure you go with someone you can trust. :)
Hey Carol,

You know I have an appointment with Continental Hair in Toronto September 6th. I am so looking forward to it....I have talked to the owner on the phone and told him I really didn't want to make the 3 or 4 hour trip with my toddler if it isn't going to be worth it..... Seems like a really nice man which is so unlike the one person I have dealt with in Ottawa as of late.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my toddler just learned how to climb up on the couch!!! Help me!!!!! LOL Sorry just a news breaking type of thing....LOL

I have worn a wig before about 4 years ago. I wore it for a year. I had a major abdominal surgery and lost about 3 months later half of my hair. I was horrified to say the least. Not only now was I sporting this huge scar up my mid section I know was losing my hair. I had super long hair which I always wore back in a pony tail. No one had ever seen me with shorter hair and had no clue what I would look like. I had been terriffied to go back to short hair for years. Anyway the decision had been made for me! Looks like I was going to go short again....Ohhhhh noooooo what would my husband think!!! He never saw me with short hair or even my natural hair color! Thought I would be headed for divorce! LOL

I went with the Raquel Welch Wig called Sizzle. I loved that wig and had a hoot spiking it up etc. When my hair grew back I just yanked the wig off and said I got it cut..... Well actually I ended up telling a lot of people I had a wig because well that is just me...LOL The fun began with color after that and I haven't stopped since. Now this time after people knowing what my hair looks like or more so behaves. We all know there is no way I would ever grow big hair. I just don't have thick hair.... It really would scream Fake Head if I bought another wig with big hair.....All the short wigs I have seen either look old (granny perm) or the mono tops seem to fall funny like straight forward...Who has hair that grows like that and is proud of it!?

I have been doing a lot of looking believe me. Been to the only three wig places in Ottawa and have bought three wigs. Have had them all trimmed and don't like a single one of them....It is either the cut...too much hair or the horrific colors....What has turned me off the most is the lack of feelings of the people selling them to you. I went back to my trusted person who sold me the first wig and she cut the three monsters...well two and other one she told me the bangs weren't put in right in the first place....so that one I might as well toss in the garbage...It has been a really frustrating experience......I am really hoping Continental can help me out before I am really up the creek. Right now I am doing my best to avoid seeing people at work so I can show up with a really nice wig and they won't know as they haven't seen me since April......

Gosh I have just rambled on and on and on.....keyboard diarrea.......
Hi,
I am new here too. I have been wearing a wig for 2 months now. Most assumed it was a new hairstyle, close friends an family knew I was getting a wig.
My husband suggested I just go and get it so it was there for the day I 'needed it'. Well in the 3 or 4 weeks it took me to make the appointment, have a fitting, order it then receive it, the day I 'needed it' had arrived. I haven't left the house without it since.

I too thought it was 'big hair', and insisted the hairdresser thin, splice, trim - whatever to make it look more like the old me.
Once I walked out of the house and received very positive feedback on my 'new hair cut/colour/style/fringe' I realised that it was actually a step up from mt flat combover, and quickly grew to love it.

Maybe this will happen for someone else. Maybe it is part of accepting my new physical appearance. I feel it is easier to walk out of the house with big hair that with no hair (I take my hat (a-hem) off to those AA sufferers that can wear their bald head with pride - I can't).

I live in Sydney, Australia and purchased my Celebrity Wig - Carol in the #9 brown from 'The Wig Shop' in Windsor. Great staff, very supportive and they made me feel as comfortable as possible considering how difficult it is to put a wig on your head for the first time.

I also think that in my journey of accepting AA, finding the right treatment options and counselling are much more important to get right than the wig. Having said that, everyone's journey is different.

S.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service