I've been out of work for a long time before I had alopecia, and now it seems even harder to go out and look. I know no one is comfortable with job interviews, but I don't know who would hire me. With barely any experience and a severe lack of confidence in public settings going randomly bald is the least of my concerns. Yet I still think interviewers will judge me on my appearance.

In school I was taught that appearance was an important factor in an interview, though I disagree that it should matter. Dress nicely and keep good hygiene, but does my abnormality factor into that? I say abnormality with pride, for I have always been abnormal(I wouldn't want it any other way), now it just shows on the outside too.

How have others dealt with finding new work after losing a lot of hair?
Any feedback is welcome.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well i think it depends on what type of work you are after but alopecia shouldn't affect it too much. the number of tv programmes you see with bald hair and make up artists is an example of this.

Appearance definitely is an important factor in getting a job but that isn't in the context of hairstyles and such but instead dress sense and looking smart and just generally looking like you have made an effort.

i don't have an excess of work experience and barely any degree based work experience but i was called for a job interview whilst my alopecia was at its worst. with that said i put an effort into my appearance and wore a suit, but the interviewer is more interested in your brain and not solely appearance and i managed to land myself a work placement with the crown prosecution service. but having said that it boggles down to the question of where you're actually going to be working and the requirements of that job.
You said you do not have experience. If you have qualifications emphasize those! Show lots of enthusiasim and try and project condfidence. Prepare beforehand on the company/place history. Some favorite questions with employers are Why do you want to work with us? Why should we choose you? and What are your defects? ( now the last one is tricky always mention something that can be positive example I am a perfectionist...(do not be honest with this just bluff your way)

Some tips:-
Greet interviewers

Dress appropriately and be well groomed

Don`t chew gum

Do not fiddle around on your seat

Look focused

Give a firm handshake

Ps in your case do not say that you are proud to be abnormal LOL! Keep it to yourself!!!

Good Luck with your job hunting and don`t give up
Not to scare you but I know you're from Canada which has, unfortunately, shown quite a bit of discrimination lately towards hair (moreso towards women). In Owen Sound a woman was fired for shaving her head for cancer and even at Canada's wonderland a girl got fired after her first day for sporting dreadlocks. I went to dozens of interviews without my wig on and none of these people called me back. I am multi-talented and can apply my skills just about anywhere so it's not that I am not undesirable for a company to have either. The first interview I wore my wig to, I nailed the job! Luckily for you, the bald look works on men so really you don't have a whole lot to fret about. You would be surprised to learn that most people don't notice (at least first off) that you're missing eyebrows if you don't have any. Good luck and remember to smile!
I concur with Carol!

If you think that type of lookism is bad in Canada, then try living in the US -- home of the $10K plastic surgery-enhanced bimbo that has set the standard for beauty and acceptance! Whenever I go on job interviews, I always wear a wig -- which, by the way, I hate and detest with a burning purple passion -- and land the job! The jobs I never get second interviews or offers from are the ones where I've gone as I am (read: no wig and a bald head). You're a man -- nobody will notice that your baldness is for something other than a lifestyle choice unless you choose to tell them -- so go nail the job you want with my best wishes!!

P.S. Sending a hand-written thank you note after the interview will get you bonus points too! :)

I would continue working on your confidence. I believe that a lack of confidence would hurt your chances, not lack of hair. I find that I can get hired after a few applications but have trouble keeping a job. Not because I am a bad worker, but because I just do not like the grind or people telling me what to do all the time. haaha You could look into self employment. Lets get in touch if you are still looking.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service