Now that the AA is back, I noticed that I wasn't quite feeling at 100% like on a normal day for me, so went to the Dr today and he said my hormone levels had indeed changed so gave me a shot. Then we talked about the AA being so aggressive this time, and that he had been having some luck with a compound drug used to help reverse auto immune symptoms in patients with RA, MS and Chron's disease and thought that I would be a great candidate for it. Says it boost the immune system and helps to reverse some of the symptoms. He had it in his office, so gave me a 30 day supply of NALTREXONE also known as "low dose LDN". So am going to try this and see how it goes. He did also say he wanted me to continue to take the steroid injections since they worked so well the last time. He said that would help the hair to grow back, but the LDN would help to reverse the auto immune disease and in turn should keep the AA from coming back again. Worth a try anyway, and it is not an expensive drug as some of the hormone replacement drugs can be.

Views: 9941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fingers crossed for you, for everything, not just alopecia.
I am very confident and happy about your progress :)
I am so excited for you. Thank you for keeping us updated on your results. It sounds so promising. I have been following your progress and have decided to give this information to my doctor as well.

restless leg is a sure sign of magnesium deficinecy

From what I've been reading in other forums, the Naltrexone seems to work for other autoimmune diseases as well. I was looking at this drug for my daughter who also developed narcolepsy. A look at Wikipedia shows there are some side effects but they are negligible, and although I have read people taking Naltrexone for several years, I still haven't seen much about the long term effects of this drug. I did read in a couple of forums where children as young as 11 were given this drug for narcolepsy, and to those families it has been a godsend. I suppose we should have more information on the long term effects since this drug has been used in high doses to treat drug and alcoholism addiction.
I've heard of LDN and am excited to hear that a doctor has prescribed it for alopecia. I've been researching it for a while and heard amazing things. I also heard a story of a woman with MS and hair lossi, it cured her hair loss and help her MS from getting worse. I also heard that the side effect were minimal, but it did cause some people to have horrible nightmares! Please keep us up to date. I wish you the best of luck!
Yes, please keep us posted. This drug sounds interesting.
Hair is coming in slowly where I had the first round of injections, and will be going back to the dermatologist Friday for the 2nd round, although I am going to ask her about the spots that had not been treated yet, and if there is hair growing in those, I may reconsider the injections as there does appear to be hair starting to come back in those areas. My nails have grown and look so healty compared to before. The only time they were ever this long and non splitting were 30 years ago when pregnant. I have also not had any requip for the restless legs since the 2nd week of LDN. I do go back to see the Dr on Monday to get the next 30 day Rx of the LDN so starting the 2nd month already. Finally shaved what was left from the head as the heat from wearing the hats/scarves is getting a little unbearable. I thought I had about 40% hair loss, but it is more like 60% now that I can see the patches better, as the little hair I had was really thick where it was growing....LOL I am still feeling really great, and sleeping well, so that alone is a plus as I had kept waking up from more hormonal issues than the restless legs, but haven't had any sleepless nights lately. I had also heard about the nightmares, but I only had one night the first week that I woke up from a crazy and slightly upsetting dream, but I am not known for having dreams. So one night for me is very rare event.
Will also be curious as to what the Dr thinks on Monday, as he seems to have a knack for telling if my auto immune is at a low or high, so anxious to hear his thoughts.
How often do you take the LDN and what time of day?
I take it once a day in the evening, about 30 minutes before I go to bed.
Went to the dermatologist yesterday, she did not give me any injections. For one, there is hair in most of the spots now, even those she had not treated at the end of April. Secondly, of course because there was just so much hair loss anyway, when she walked in to the room, she just sat down and said "wow", surprized at the loss of hair in a months time. I told her most of it fell out the 2 weeks following our last appt, and that it stopped falling out after about 7 days of taking LDN. She does want to see me back in 3 months to follow up and to also keep track of the progress with the LDN as she has so many patients with AA coming to her. She had not heard much about the LDN since she is only focused on skin (dermo), so is going to track the progress and also do some research. Will see Dr on Monday for follow up and the second month Rx of the LDN.
I am very happy for your results, and are very confident in this care, it'll good for hair loss and everything else ...
A warm greeting

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service