Now that the AA is back, I noticed that I wasn't quite feeling at 100% like on a normal day for me, so went to the Dr today and he said my hormone levels had indeed changed so gave me a shot. Then we talked about the AA being so aggressive this time, and that he had been having some luck with a compound drug used to help reverse auto immune symptoms in patients with RA, MS and Chron's disease and thought that I would be a great candidate for it. Says it boost the immune system and helps to reverse some of the symptoms. He had it in his office, so gave me a 30 day supply of NALTREXONE also known as "low dose LDN". So am going to try this and see how it goes. He did also say he wanted me to continue to take the steroid injections since they worked so well the last time. He said that would help the hair to grow back, but the LDN would help to reverse the auto immune disease and in turn should keep the AA from coming back again. Worth a try anyway, and it is not an expensive drug as some of the hormone replacement drugs can be.

Views: 9941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much to everyone for the warm wishes. I will occasionally add an update at this point, but still going good for now. Nails still growing. Hair is slowly but surely starting to grow in the bald spots, although I am sure going to take some time to fill in completely. With the head shaved I can see the spots and monitor that they are not getting any bigger, or no new ones, so that is still a plus. Still not having to take any medications for the restless legs which is a big plus as well. Had I not taken the requip for them by 10:00 each night, they would be dancing around without me...LOL They no longer do that, and I have not taken the requip for a little more than a month.
I did a little research on NALTREXONE and have summarized the bulk of the info into the following:

FDA-approved NALTREXONE, in a low dose, can boost the immune system — helping those with HIV/AIDS, cancer, autoimmune diseases, and central nervous system disorders.

LDN boosts the immune system, activating the body's own natural defenses.

Naltrexone is an opioid receptor antagonist.

Because LDN blocks opioid receptors throughout the body for three or four hours, people using medicine that is an opioid agonist, i.e. narcotic medication — such as Ultram (tramadol), morphine, Percocet, Duragesic patch or codeine-containing medication — should not take LDN until such medicine is completely out of one's system.

LDN has virtually no side effects. Occasionally, during the first week's use of LDN, patients may complain of some difficulty sleeping. This rarely persists after the first week. Should it do so, dosage can be reduced from 4.5mg to 3mg nightly.
I'm starting LDN tonight. My derm is pretty progressive-minded and she thinks this has a lot of promise for autoimmune diseases. I'll put my experiences on here and keep anyone interested updated.
Hi Ella. Please keep us updated. Fingers crossed.
Hello, I ordered the galenic farnmacia of LDN, planning to pay about 30 euros for 60 tablets. Instead they asked me $ 100 !!!!!!!! How much do you pay?
Please make sure you are getting the 4.5 mg size, otherwise you will need to dissolve the tabs in water and dose with a ml dropper to get the right amount. Very important!!!!
There is the LDN website http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org that has a list of reliable pharmacies.

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/index.htm#How_can_I_obtain_LDN
I know the LDN site and asked to pharmacies reported, but the times are long, so I did prepare a galenic pharmacy in my town, which prepared in just 2 days, but at the cost of 1OO euros for 60 tablets, in fact I have not retired, I would first ask if they can understand such a figure ...
Hi Manuela, I tried to reply to your message, however I am having an issue trying to send outgoing mail from my mailbox on this site. Not sure what is going on but have reported it. I get about 30 tablets for $30.00 us dollars. They are capsuls 4.5 mg. I am still doing good. No hair has grown back in some spots yet, but it did stop the hair from falling out. Also helped my restles legs and leg cramps. I told my Dr about my nails being longer, stronger and healthier looking. He said that the nails are usually what grows more quickly than the hair, so said that time will tell about everything else. Keep us updated on your progress as well. Sorry, I haven't been on as much lately, husband about to have more surgeries, so busy with Dr appts and test.
Hello! Do not worry about the answer, I'm glad to know that you are well, and I hope it solves all the best for your husband, I'll give you all the best for him ... With regard to the pads I found a pharmacy in another city that charges about 22 euros for 60 tablets, and is a reasonable price for me. The pharmacy in my town told me that the price is so high because it uses the same active ingredients as perhaps the galenic pharmacy where the cheaper tablets obtained from a drug. Now I understand What is the difference between the two preparations ...
See you soon
Hello, I received the capsules of LDN for the price of 22 euros, and are equal to those paid 100 euros (in fact, then I retired, unfortunately) but I talked to the pharmacist in my town that has remained stunned that other pharmacies pay well just the active ingredient.
Other than that ... I started taking LDN for 5 days and I did no effect, I seem to get water ... I hope that LDN is working inside of my body in silence.
I personally take for the thyroid, but since I heard that also helps alopecia, if I see that I do not give side effects to prove to my daughter for alopecia ...
Hello everyone
Hello everyone, I go to update sull'ldn: I'm taking less than a month and I have no side effects, rather I see a big benefit in the menstrual cycle. Usually I have to go to bed for the pain, but this month had it not been for the flow I would not be prudent to have your period ... To see the effects on the thyroid issue in September, when I do a blood test ...
Onekeylady how are you?
Best wishes to all

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service