How Much Would You Subject Your Body To to Have Your Hair Grow Back Again?

Hello my fellow Alopecians!

I wanted to share a pivotal moment in my life with you guys, and specifically wanted to hear your thoughts. I recently went to see a brand new dermatologist, who shocked my by saying: "You know, your hair can grow back. There was a study done in Turkey recently where the women took three months of prednisone, along with anti-inflammatory drugs and Tums each day to counteract the calcium loss from the prednisone, and they experienced COMPLETE regrowth!"

Sitting on the examining table...my clinic standard-issue paper gown scrunching slightly beneath my hands in my lap, my eyes widened in surprise. And then my mouth pursed, waiting for the punchline. "Okkk..." I said, reeling from this news, trying to assimilate this information after three years of being an Alopecian.

And then the punchline came. My eyebrows raised, mouth slightly ajar, as I listened to the new (and very smart, perky and energetic) dermatologist try to sell me on this new course of therapy.

"Now, there are some very serious side effects to taking prednisone...we normally only prescribe prednisone for no more than two weeks at a time, but those with alopecia who had complete regrowth took it for three months, and then took more drugs for another six months in some cases." Me, thinking to myself "NO KIDDING, serious side effects! Mega-steroids for three months???" And then she rattled off the list of side effects...

"Osteoporosis...you'd have to take Tums three times a day to counteract the calcium loss to your bones...and you'd gain 10 pounds...you should watch your diet...and you' develop a small hump at the center of your back, and you'd have to take an anti-inflammatory drug in conjunction with the prednisone...and it would affect your energy level - it's like taking adrenaline..."

As she rattled off the list, my eyes grew wider and wider, and then my mind faded out of reality and I thought "But I like myself bald! Wait, wait - but being bald, this is ME now. You want to change ME? And I'd have to subject my body to this?" And then the kicker, the shocker, the idea that I had only prayed for in my most quiet of moments...somewhere along the way I had finally accepted that I had alopecia, and more shockingly, that my hair might NEVER grow back. Effectively, being bald and having alopecia had at some point fused itself into me, my self-concept. It's ME, a part of ME. I am no longer two people dueling in the mirror, pain and happiness. And so, when she told me that I could subject my body to these terrors and rigors, I reacted akin to someone suggesting I cut off my nose - "What!!!?" And then indignation, "Why should I do THAT?"

By the time my mind faded back into reality, she was finishing her spiel..."But it would only be for three months!!" Nice - I'd only have a hump in my back for three months, and coming down off my crack high and losing that extra 10 pounds or so would be a BREEZE. ONLY THREE MONTHS. Yaayyy crack!!

So, my fellow family: Does anyone else see the irony in this? I had once prayed that I'd always be able to see my own beauty, because at first I had been terrified, paralyzed by the idea that my body would be ugly forever without hair. Now, after several years of a gut-twisting, painful and rewarding psychological journey, I feel beautiful...and in a caustic twist of fate, a doctor is telling me that if I do some really ugly things to my body, I'll grow my hair back! Ironic!? I think so.

So tell me fellow Alopecians: What do you think? How far would you go, what would you subject your body to, to have your hair grow back? Has anyone tried this course of therapy? Just so you know, I told the doctor I'd do some more research on it, but I declined treatment. But, I'm more interested in the philosophical aspects of this question. I am asking because if a doctor had told me this a year ago, when I was in a different place in my psychological journey, I would be nursing the hump in my back and running around like a crack baby at this very moment. But, what would you do?

Views: 1418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried steroid called Betnosol (0.5mg) wen i was 16 & i did get ALL my hair back, but along with it came the side effects. The stupid Dr. gave me OVERDOZE of these steroids! Its usually taken for only a year. But he gave me for 4 yrs!!! sayin that he is giving lowest potency ever given. Therefore, less side effects. But still, side effects were there. I rapidly gained weight!! Even stretchmarks increased all over my body!!!! Also, once i got my hair bak i didnt want to lose them again, so i believed the Dr. & continued until the SERIOUS side effect came - Cataract in eyes! But thank God it was at its earliest stage, so i didnt need any operation. So i had no choice but to stop takin steriods! Losing hair all over again was indeed more painful than not having it before. But stil, i miss my thick hair... :( :( :(.
With God's grace i m fine & my eyes r also healthy. But, i promised myself, NEVER to take treatment which has such BAD side effects!!!!!!
I think the hump part is bull____. I had prednisone ages 15-17, a full tablet at first, then half (my mom said prednisone my grandma once took made her bones brittle. But then, wouldn't an old person get brittle bones anyway?). Also, my periods were out of whack, and they studied me for a WEEK in a hospital to see if prenisone was causing frequent, nonstop periods, if alopecia and period problems were linked, blah blah blah. No conclusion. Normal 16-year-old girl. So, the prenisone and shot thing promises growth in 3 months...which is the cycle for AA spot (not totalis or universalis) regrowth ANYWAY, so don't let them con you out of your money. There is no PERMANENT cure treatment without side affects yet. Oh yea...the cortisone shots put dents in my head. The dematologist switched the shots to my hip, and then I had dents in my hip. (Maybe the closeness of shots below the waist to other parts of my body caused the period problem?) Anyhoo, I went to college and stopped the hated shots...and my hair ALL grew back age 20 until my mid-30s (stressful marriage and mother-in-law did me in). I even had my own hair for dating in my twenties and for my wedding (before all the kids, stress, etc.). I think if I hadn't gotten married to the person I married I might still have that hair...but who knows. This is an unpredictable condition. But at least it makes us immune to a lot of other things...so if you don't want stress over possible side effects...and there's no permanent cure anyway...save your money for a nice trip, for college, for garden supplies, more expensive ANYTHING that you can enjoy...with no side effects. I personally stopped all treatments and expense, except for synthetic wigs (each birthday I opt for a new look!). By the way, my folks also subjected me to tar shampoo, ultra-violet light treatments, creams. That was the '60s for you...I am free now from pain and dents!
Hello Heather,
I am going to voice my opinion as brief as possible into three aspect Physiologically, Philosophically & Psychologically. I'm into veterinary medicine and we even use prednisone for animals but never longer than 7 days. However, I need more specification/ details in term of the dosage of prednisone and the route of administration. However, my response is based on the recommended prednisone dosage being used over this three months of treatment (given systemically by intramuscular).

The physiological aspect:

Side effects of Prednisone:

Major
1. Risk of developing diabetes
2. Weight gain (also increased risk of Cushing's syndrome- hyperadrenocortism)
3. Facial swelling / ascites/ edematous
4. Depression, euphoria, or behavioral changes
5. Fatigue or lethargic
6. Vision impairment
7. Ulcers / Mouth sores
8. Osteoporosis
9. Insomnia
10. Joints & abdominal pain
11. Cataracts
12. Anxiety
13. Blood vessels diseases

Minor
1. Rash
2. Diarrhea
3. Frequent urination

In short, I am strongly against the use of Prednisone (Injected intramuscular) for more than 7 days or orally for more than two months as recommended for the treatment of Alopecia areata and what more for 3 months.

The philosophical aspect:

One must set priority right, naturally and normally in our body as designed by God. Hair is just a part of the body, when we are comprising the conditions of other major organs and vital organs and the IMMUNE SYSTEM in the sake of getting our hair back, I seriously urge people to re-examine their thoughts and decision. The comprises made would probably led to one the side effects mentioned above (Under recommendation, the use of prednisone is not more than 7 days or give and take 14 days). Three months is almost 12 folds higher. One must be comprising their quality of life and even their LIFE if agree to be subjected to the treatment regime. In short, it is philosophically unwise when one opt to regain a non-vital part of the body by comprising other vital organs and even LIFE itself!

The psychological aspect:
It would be thrilling and exciting to have my hair back. It would be perfect and awesomely great if I can have my hair back just with a simple faith without comprising my quality of life and my loved ones around me. I have been living with AA for more than 20 years and with AU for more than 6 years. I would definitely sacrifice alot for my hair to grow back as long as my sacrifices are practical, logical and sensible (i.e the more people I help, the more hair I get...etc) In short, our psychology needs to grow through proper thoughts and knowledge together with practicality and wisdom.

AT THE END I STRONGLY OPPOSE TO THE ABOVE TREATMENT REGIME & WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE EVEN IF THE TREATMENT CAN WORK 100% EFFECTIVELY.

I couldn't read all the response to this discussion but I have read that some are willing to take this kind of treatment regime and some are trying for more than a few weeks already. I would like to add that some are taking calcium supplements to prevent the side effects of having osteoporosis while treating alopecia with long-duration of prednisone. Let me remind everyone to remember the amount of burden one is putting on the kidney. Kidney has to work extra hard for drug elimination and calcium mineral. The liver has to work extra hard for drug metabolism. The heart has to work extra hard due to the increase of blood viscosity due to the effect of drug, calcium supplements together with the ongoing comprimising of liver and kidney. AGAIN, I STRONGLY AGAINST THE USE OF PREDNISONE FOR MORE THAN ONE MONTH (INJECTABLE into the body system) /TWO MONTHS (ORALLY) FOR THE TREATMENT OF ALOPECIA AREATA. * Local subcutaneous injection on the scalp are still acceptable once every two months (three times = six months)

SOME MAY DISAGREE WITH ME BUT THIS IS TOTALLY MY OWN OPINION. NO INTENTION TO OFFEND ANYONE. THANK YOU.

Joshua
you may visit my blog at http://joshuablogspace.blogspot.com
Thank-you Joshua for putting it all in simple form for all to understand.
thanks
Thank You Josh!!!

Jeffrey
Hi Joshua

You know you are so jolly clever. Thanks for making that so very clear.

Catch you soon.

Rosy
I just wanted to let you all know that I stopped taking the prednisone. It was definitely not worth all the side effects and I was only taking it for 6 days. I just recently got the Nioxin products, has anyone used or had any luck with this? Other than that I am just taking vitamin d and a multivitamin. No more shots or derm appointments, gonna see what happens on my own.
I use Biotin 1 mg daily as a substitute for the Nioxin shampoo. I night add the shampoo to my regime as well.
I figure why not I have to use something and if there is a poosibilty of help why not.

Best of luck,

Jeffrey
I see what your saying. But you acept who you are. and thats great! I would love to have hair again. But would not risk my health to do so!
I have done PUVA therapy in the past - and my hair grew back - but I am not sure whether it worked - or the yoga I was doing - or the combination, but I went from about 80% hair loss to complete regrowth in 2000. PUVA therapy is a big commitment of time. You have to take a drug that makes you photosensitive (called psoralen) and then get exposed to controled doses of UVA light in a booth two or three times a week. I am not sure how many places offer that treatment.

I would not do Prednisone for hair regrowth. I have several other health issues that doctors like to prescribe Predisone for: Atopic Dermatis, Asthmatic Bronchitis, drug allergies. Many times that I have taken Prednisone or a shot of cortisone, I have experienced a "bounce back" afterward - where the original problem reappears - only with a vengeance. I will now only take them if I am in serious health condition. I tried to control my health with topical corticosteriods and inhaled medicine (for asthma) when possible.

With this current episode of alopecia areata, I am trying topical Protopic and a topical corticosteroid gel on the bald spots. I still have a good deal of hair left - though I am losing my eyelashes, and the hair on my arms and legs as well as many spots on my head.

Prednisone does have major side effects and I believe it should only be used for life-threatening situations, where the good it does outweighs the bad it does.
Yes, Aimee - I am pretty sure we are all talking about the oral prednisone. I will use topical and injection right in the scalp. When I mentioned a shot of Cortisone in my post - I was referring to the systemic one that they put in your backside. I love the way that or the prednisone make me feel for the first few days - but as you taper off, your symptoms can return.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service