I miss my hair so much. I have questions about wigs? First-time user

As the title says it all, I really miss my hair so much. What happened was that I was supposed to go for a consultation at a wig shop in Toronto two days ago, and when I was looking at the map, I had gut feelings that it is not just safe to go there with my mother. So I cancelled the appointment. Since I didn't go to the wig shop, I realized how desperate I am to try the wig because I absolutely hate my hair with pure passion. It's hard to put it in the right words because after I made the decision to cancel the appointment, I'm now back in the period of "bereavement". It seems that I'm all over back to square one.

I hate this so much. I have to now wait till I find a good wig shop that is in the area I'm most familiar with. 2014 is going to be brutal. I was hoping that this appointment that I just cancelled will bring me at least happiness with the comfort that I'm going to have a wig that resembles my old hair. Anwyay, now that I have to wait till I find another good wig shop, I have several questions to ask about the wig:

1) Since I have hair (not thick, it's very thin and limp), I am wondering if the wig will easily fall off? I don't plan to shave my head yet.

2) Because I'm a nursing student, I am required to tie my hair up in a bun. Can I do this with the wig?

3) Can you straighten the human hair wig? My hair is very curly, so I'm curious to know if you can straighten the wig. 

4) Do you have to go back to the wig shop once a year to maintain it? 

5) How can you take care of the wig to ensure longevity?

6) I'm not sure what the exact cost is for the wig in my area where I live, but is it really worth + $2400 (according to the website of the wig shop)?

7) How do you deal with your current hair that is so thin and limp till the appointment of the wig shop?

Thanks a lot. I really, really appreciate your help. Much love <3 

Views: 2565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lilac:

Your hair sounds a lot like mine, though if you check out my pictures, you can see how much hair I've lost in the last 6 months.

I have a bog, calledhautecurvywoman.comand I've been keeping a journal of what I've been trying and doing.

I have tried a wig and it was just too hot.

I happened to find 2 sets of extensions (basically 2 (I don't know the word) extensions that go from ear to ear. Because I have some hair, I'm able to clip these in when I go out. They're really easy to put in and they stay put even with my horrible hair.

I will not go to a wig until I absolutely have to and, even then, I might just go the scarf route.

I don't know if this is going to work, but I'm going to try to link you to my MY ALOPECIAblog which is part of my blog now.

These extensions, I believe I bought at Vogue Wigs and were not expensive at all.

I hope this helps you a little bit.  If you want more info, I'll be happy to help.

Hi Lilac:

I just wanted to let you know what i did, just to ease into the process of wearing a wig and seeing what works for me.  I went to a wig store and purchased a synthetic, first one so i didn't want to order online, i needed some guidance as to how it is supposed to fit, etc.  I have been wearing the synthetic for 3 months now and do like that it doesn't need styling, its basically put it on and go, what i don't like is that it is a longer lenght and does tangle underneath where it hits my collar, and also cannot put it in a pony tail, I have experimented with some styling pulling it up in a clip and that works.  I am now moving on to a human hair wig, but not going too expensive for my first one, I know that the quality may not be as good as an expensive one, but i would like to be able to learn how to take care of it and see what i can do with it before making a huge investment.  I am ordering it next week and will let you know how it goes, if you are interested.  I am just taking baby steps to see what works and what doesn't.  As i go into the new human hair one i will re-cycle my synthetic to a weekend around the house or to the gym one.  Hope this helps, it is just the way I am doing it, everybody has different ideas about what is right for them. 

I just got some scarfs from Ardenes and wore them instead of my wig. Which indeed did resemble my real hair. People will except you for yourself not your appearance. I have lost my hair totally twice in the last two years. All my coworkers and students had no problem with me just the way I was. Just my opinion.
I have "Sally" my real HH wig and scarves. Once you get your self esteem back and you accept the shitty condition we have been blessed with all will be fine. Remember to smile, you are beautiful.

Hi Lilac,

Good luck to you in your search for the best wig for you.

You already got a lot of helpful answers here, but as a wearer of a hh wig I'll just put in my 2 cents. There's something called a pony wig. basically, hh wigs have a natural front and down at the nape, the hairs are just tied in one direction so if you put it in a pony or bun, it shows at the nape that it is a wig. A pony wig has those bottom nape hairs tied in the upward direction, so it looks natural at the bottom as well. Another benefit to getting a pony wig is that you don't have to be as concerned about the hair quality, as it will be tied back, and not need as much styling as a wig that you are wearing down all the time. In my area, hh pony wigs run 600-1500 dollars.

Good luck finding the right wig.

Hugs! 

Vanessa, where do you get the pony wig?  Do you ever wear it down?  Can you wear a baseball cap over it, and put the "tail" up through the back of the hat?

In my area, the salons carry them.

Here is a link to one.

I'm not sure if this one has the hairs sewn up at the neck like I described, but I'd imagine so. You can contact the site to find out.

the price on this is $650

http://www.mcwigs.com/ponytail.html

You can get put a cap over them like you described.

Thanks Vanessa.  I will check it out!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service