National Alopecia Areata Foundation Response to Mice Study
Released: 2/23/2011 3:50 PM EST
Source: National Alopecia Areata Foundation

Compound Leads to Hair-Growth in Mice

SAN RAFAEL, CA -- February 18th -- The National Alopecia Areata Foundation is optimistic about a possible breakthrough by scientists at the University of California, Los Angeles and the Veterans Administration. The scientists initially were studying a chemical compound that blocks the effects of stress on the gut. They used genetically altered mice which typically develop head-to-tail baldness because of overproducing a stress hormone. The surprise came when three months after treating the mice with the compound, the formerly bald mice were full of hair on their heads and bodies. Another positive angle is that the hair stayed after only one series of treatments.

The National Alopecia Areata Foundation feels this study is interesting. The key to how to build on this research is to make the correct diagnosis of what alopecia the mouse model has. The relevance of this model to alopecia areata is unclear and will take further study to see if this will have a meaning for future alopecia areata treatments.

When you genetically engineer a mouse and get alopecia you usually get a very specific defect. When you modulate that defect with a compound directed at the defect you correct the problem caused by that specific defect. So this sounds exciting for that specific cause and form of alopecia. Another interesting concept is that the agent that blocks stress in the GI tract could affect nerves in skin and potentially induce recycling of the follicle. NAAF looks forward to future studies related to these findings.

The National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF), headquartered in San Rafael, CA, supports research to find a cure or acceptable treatment for alopecia areata, supports those with the disease, and educates the public about alopecia areata. NAAF is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and has a prestigious Scientific Advisory Council. Founded in 1981, NAAF is widely regarded as the largest, most influential and most representative foundation associated with alopecia areata.

To learn more about alopecia areata, or to schedule an interview with a NAAF researcher, please contact the National Alopecia Areata Foundation office at (415) 472-3780 in San Rafael, CA or visit the NAAF website at http://www.naaf.org

Views: 611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting this RJ.
Thanks RJ for the information. I hope something good will come soon.
Wow and I had always heard that soy milk and soy products were good for people. It's difficult to know what to eat! LOL!
real non gmo soy as in tofu, miso and the actual beans in moderation are good for some people and harmful for others...you can't put a once size fits all jacket on it. Soy milk has carragenean in it which is stressful to the gut...get the kind that has only water and soy beans in it or make your own
I think you might want to read "The Whole Soy Story" as it is well documented that soy is detrimental to the thyroid. You may say that the Japanese have been eating it for years but Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not uncommon there either. Please read it; you won't regret it!
Oh No! soy is bad for me?
Thanks for posting RJ
Thanks for the post. I did not know anything about Soy and it being harmful. Like another person stated they have been pushing soy this and soy that. I am in hopes of someone somewhere finding a cure. I thought the stress gut information was quite interesting. I do hope they find out why and the type of stress in the GI is causing alopecia and if the stress can be targeted so we alopecians can one day have our hair back..
Holy Molly! Probably I lost all my hair when I started taking soy milk in replacement with Cow's milk. I didn't know that story about soy..
No, Patty. It is not. Read the comments written on Amazon for the book, "The Whole Soy Story". If you want to keep your hair,don't ear soy. I found this out because I noticed I started having stomach problems and then my hair started getting really dry and I started to lose it. It was gradual, but I finally traced it to soy. Alopecia is not in my family at all and I have noticed so many women have it. Drink rice milk or oat milk instead and try to stay away from soy. Also, watch out for soy lecithin; it is in everything. Read labels.
I've had alopecia for 43 years, way before GM foods became so prevelant. My parents took me to the Cleveland Clinic and they said it was "stress". How can a two-year old be stressed? Maybe high strung! Are more people developing alopecia percentage-wise now then a generation ago? I'd like to see the statistics on that. Maybe there is something to all the processed junk in our food.
Anna
It gives me hope - I have come to accept that I am bald because I can't change it (as the Serenity Prayer says "Accept the things I cannot change"). However, WHEN the day comes that I can, I will be first in line. I did have hair as a child and then on and off in my teen years and I miss it very much! I'm so glad that it's finally being researched with more vigor then I have ever seen in my lifetime.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service