Well I went into Seattle today for a consult for a Follea gripper. Feeling a bit nervous now, I tried on One that was really long, not my style at all I prefer a long bob, but got an idea how the fit will be. I still have some hair, but they said I could wear it with the hair I have, I was all set to shave it, but the gal there said that I didn't have to right away, does anyone else have the Gripper? They claim that they really stay put, which makes me feel much more secure. I have not been wearing a wig so this is a big step for me, they are so expensive, but I've seen post on here that someone said theirs lasted for years, sure hope that's true. I would love to hear from anyone who has one, or been through this.

Views: 890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Christine

Sounds as if you have done a good job investigating your option, but I would ring back and check out what the hair is (any processing at all is not great), and that should bring the price of the wig down to reasonable if it is processed in any way.

With the wefting(or sewn hair), did you see how this looked on the sample and what would happen when it is worn in the wind? Wefted (sewn wigs) again really should not be an expensive product, even with silicone attached. (I'm a little concerned about that for you). I'm pretty sure you have checked that out and like the look. :)

Price and Longevity should go hand in hand to some degree, so hopefully that's all looking good for you as well. I would also think that would be dependent on lifestyle and wearing habits.

With my daughters hair choice, she wears her hairpiece swimming etc., and I would agree that salt and chlorine can cause damage to all hair (even your own biological hair). So, washing the hairpiece after these activities would be essential (this is important with our wig choice). I would think it important to understand how the cap etc. reacts in these situations - does it give you security, do you have to look after the cap when it is wet so it doesn't warp and become ill fitting? Very important knowledge for these type of activities.

I think that you are doing the right thing by investigating and becoming as knowledgeable as possible about your product of choice. That can only help you have a successful outcome.

Rosy

Hi Christine

I did a quick search to see what has been said about this product and like with everything there is good and not so good reviews. I would suggest you contact Lori and Becca and have a chat. If you do a search you will also get a couple of ladies that are enjoying this choice.

With Becca's post you may need some clarification around Peggy Knight - she works for Follea and sells their product - in 2010 they were her supplier but since then the relationship has changed so she now works for them.

Permalink Reply by Becca on June 17, 2010 at 6:59pm

I ended up getting a Gripper from Peggy Knight, It costed me $2,000.00. It's nice that I don't have to use tape but it's not secure on me. If the wind blows too hard the back of the peice will life off my head. I find the peice to be hot too. The gripper is lined with silacone so it grips to your head. It's like a mix between a vacuume and a net based wig. If you wants pictures message me and I will send them to you. I have had some problems with this piece.

-Becca

Reply by Lori Van Decker on April 30, 2012 at 2:54pm
While pricey, the Gripper hair is lovely and top quality. Overall, I do not care for the construction or comfort level of the cap. My Gripper is a nice chin-length bob with natural movement. I ordered it specifically for ballroom dance activities. What I've found, however, is that if you perspire, the silicone does not grip and the unit moves around. (Imagine doing double and triple spins and your hair flying across the competition floor. NOT how I'd like to attract the judges' attention. lol) For dancing, I have much better results with a combination of Got 2BGlued and Mighty Tite on a custom fitted full lace wig.
The Gripper is very nice and I wear it when I'm not dancing, but I most likely will not buy another one.

Thanks for reposting, Rose Marie. My gripper was upwards of $3,000, basically because I ordered extra hair and a custom color (which I wound up not liking and coloring over with a Clairol rinse). I'm really tough on the wig base because I engage in extensive physical activity, sometimes under hot lights and on crowded dance floors. I take good care of the hair; even the cheapest hair looks beautiful until long after I've killed the base. The gripper has not worked for me during physical exertion. It slips. I would imagine that paying even more for the Gripper Sport would result in the type of conditions that I subject my wigs to. I've had the best luck buying 16" of processed Remy Indian hair sewn into a full French lace base for about $300 delivered (from China). I get them custom-made to my peanut-head, AU measurements, and they stay on very well during physical exercise using only tape/Might Tite and some Got 2BGlued on the edges when I need a precise hairline (for an up-do, for example). I bought the CREA Clips and cut the hair myself. As the units get older, I cut them shorter and/or in shorter layers. I am diligent about applying Argon Oil or Keratin Oil treatment, and I condition with coconut oil before shampooing and conditioning at least once a month. To be honest, people used to say, "I like that wig on you." Since wearing the realtively inexpensive units from China, I'm hearing, "Wow, I really like your hair like that." For me, that says it all. And because theunits are so inexpensive, I can have several with different cap styles, different lengths, and different colors. I will never invest over $3,000 again, even if the prosthesis lasts for years, because I know that I will want something different long before then. When I was younger and paranoid about my alopecia, it made sense. Now that I'm a practical, "older," single homeowner, it's a lot less important.

Hey, Lori...what's the website you get your cheaper HH wigs from? They are HH, right? Are they hot in summer? Yes, getting older has SOME perks. You do become more practical, other things are more important that spending a small fortune on a wig. If I were way younger, yes, that would be a priority for me. Now, and with the limited income I have, I always seem to have another place to put my money. Wish I had enough to go around and around, and buy that $3000+ wig. How long do they last? Do they have any light blond colors? Oh, and by peanut head, do you mean you have a small head? I do...

Well, when you are younger and your parents are paying your bills, you tend to see life a lot differently. When you get older, your perspective certainly changes. At this stage of my life, I'd much rather max out my 401K and Roth before spending big bucks on hair. There are several online vendors to choose from. I'll send you an email with the one I've gotten consistently good results from. Other people like different Chinese vendors. The thing is that there are lots of people marking up and selling the Chinese sourced wigs in the US, but the Chinese vendors are more than happy to work directly with you and to provide the best quality and customer service they can.

I'm starting to have cold feet with the wig I purchased, I'm hearing from others that I will definately have to shave and I was told that I didn't have to, of course if it is great than I may not have a problem with it. I have an old wig that I've been trying to wear around to just get use to it, but it is so uncomfortable, and slips quite a bit, it's also really hot, and feels like I have a hat on all the time, alos makes me very self aware that it's not my hair. Is this something you all get use to?? I have had some downer input about the gripper, and this is not helping with my feelings of being unsure. I did see that one person who offered some advice works for Freedom wigs, and that was another option I was considering, tho almost double the price of the gripper, and I know that you have to wait some for them but of course they are custom to your head and super secure. I did hear from one person who has one(the gripper) and is so happy, she said she wished she had gotten it years ago, I'm feeling sick over my choice now, I do know that everyone has different experiences, and I'm so new at the wig wearing, I do have hair growing back in but it is all the white hairs, and the white hairs I have had for years, never become regular hair, so I can see that I need a wig now. Please if anyone has the gripper and is happy I'd love to hear about it. Also you all with more experience with wearing wigs, do you get use to it? Thanks everyone for your help:)

Hello Christine,

Please, take a deep breath and let it
out. You have already purchased the Gripper. You are listing to to many people and it will keep you worked up.
I have sent you a private email with some more info. Every one can give you advice, as you know some only give you not so good advice. Hang in there.
The technology of the Gripper is the most up to date in comfort and wear ability that is on the market today.
Carmen

I would disagree with you about your description Carmen.

The 'Gripper' is similar to many wigs that have similar construction. From what I understand it has a conventional (handtied or wefted)wig construction with different amounts of silicone used on the cap (inside) to give the wearer a little more security, than a conventional wig. Most 'grippers' are not custom made so I'm not sure how security is achieved. I deal with silicone with my daughter's hairpiece of choice and understand for a wig to give extremely good security it must be custom made and be as accurate as possible. Silicone alone would have difficulty achieveing good security, even though it may give some security.

People's advise is just that 'their advise' whether you choose to listen or not is up to you. I personally think the person who sold you your 'gripper' should be able to answer all your concerns, and wearers are people that should be listened to with the knowledge that everyone has different needs and wants around their hairpiece of choice.

Rosy

Christine if you were told you would not have to shave and you find out that in fact you do - and you don't want to then don't hesitate to tell the rep that you don't want the wig and if that fails then do a charge back with your credit card. Your rep should certainly know if you do or do not have to shave your head to wear the wig. I found that I could never get used to out of the box wigs or synthetic hair - but once I had a custom wig made with human hair I adusted prety quickly. And no more damn slipping - that drove me nuts and to prevent it I had to tighten the out of the box wigs so much I would get a giant headache! I do know that those that shave and wear wigs say it is cooler but I do not want to shave my head. For me human hair is cooler than synthetics- but I wear faily long hair too. Heres hoping you love it : )

Thanks Lisa, I am glad to hear that others have felt this way and it does go away, I'm hoping that with the gripper type it will feel less like a wig, What kind of wig did you buy? Did you try and match your bio hair color and style? I think that is a big thing for me, I feel like if I can get close to mine only better I will feel less like I'm standing out, although I wish I could be so comfortable, I would try other styles and colors and have fun with it like some do, I guess I'm not there yet.

Hi, I'm hoping that you start loving your wig, and it's color, you are probably right that it just needs tweaking, did you have a stylist that did a cut on you that really liked? I wonder if going to him or her would be an option, the consultant who met with me, feels confident that she can match my color a cut, that made me feel good. If others are complimenting your new color I would try living with it a bit longer and see if you don't start liking it too, I use to be a blond "natural" and began to darken with age, I would always add highlights that kept it light, but when my AA was pretty bad my hairdresser said she felt we should stop the highlighting, and colored my hair a medium brown, I darted using at home color, which was lightest golden brown, it has quite a bit of red in it also, I have learned to really love it, you may too. I know what you mean about the short hair getting shorter, because of my pattern of loss, I have to keep it pretty short, and don't want my new hair to be as short, but not long either. I will try and post pics when I get it, but have had trouble posting them on here. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi Christine

Please go back to your consultant as they will be able to put your mind at rest. Knowing what to ask is the issue for you. If you don't want to shave your head, but do require good security, you need to know that your Gripper is going to do that for you - especially if that is what you were told.

Investigating your choice after the fact is a difficult situation for you, but I think it is imperative so you don't spend money that you don't need to.

Good luck with everything.

Rosy

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service