Hello all!

I was recently diagnosed with FFA about 3 weeks ago at the Thomas Jefferson University Dept. of Derm. after being referred there by my local dermatologist for an unusual skin rash on my face and neck. I really hadn't noticed the receding hairline until a couple weeks before my appointment at TJ because I wear bangs and was born with a high forehead (actually, it was my thinning bangs that cued me in). So... while on display for all the residents/professors/fellows to examine the face/neck rash, I mentioned the hairloss as an ancillary symptom. The FFA dx was made right then and there with a biopsy to confirm. It was a bit of a shock since I wasn't even there for my hairline.

Now that I am noticing my hairline more, it seems the FFA is progressing rather quickly. My hairline has receded 1.5 cm sometime within the past several months (not sure when since I wasn't making note of my hairline) but I am certain that within the 3 weeks since being dx'ed I've lost 0.5 cm from the center portion of my hairline. During this 3 week period, the follicles from this center portion were visibly inflamed (the skin around them bright red and raised), with some of the hair eventually falling out.

For the past 2 weeks, I have been applying clobetasol propionate foam on my scalp by the entire hairline, and yesterday noticed that the skin surrounding the once-inflamed follicles with remaining hair shafts are now black instead of red. I googled pictures of people with FFA and noticed many with whitish patches of skin surrounding the follicles but not black.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar with black spots surrounding follicles?

Also, I've read that FFA is "usually" slow progressing but my bangs seem to be rapidly disappearing so was wondering what the "usual" rate of hairloss is?

I can't tell you how much I am appreciating the info found on this board...I am still reading back posts). Thank you so much!

Sandy from New Jersey

Views: 746

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sandy,
My follicles have never turned black, just red like pimples, or those weird little white things. Steroids didn't seem to help the inflammation for me, so I stopped them. I started using Nizoral shampoo, and I went to a gluten free diet. I did see improvement in the inflammation flare ups after that.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service