Tell me a funny story! I can laugh at myself so lets laugh together. I just lost my wig in public. Not kidding.

We can all cry together, but I'd rather laugh. Does anyone else want to share a funny story? On Father's Day I was in the pool with my darling daughter and I wear an old wig to swim. My daughter is really bothered that some of her friends or herself would think that I am ill,etc. if they see my balding. I say, "Who cares?" But whatever. So I wear a swim wig. Father's Day I am swimming and she is laughing and playing with me and I come up out of the water and the wig falls off.It slips off backwards as I come up out of the water in this crowded pool. I catch it mid air and start laughing and slap the thing on my head. Her eyes are big as saucers. I start backing up and laughing she's shaking her head with her eyes getting bigger and bigger. Apparently I slapped it back on sideways, so I ungraciously grabbed both ear tabs and yanked the thing back in place and said loudly, "Is that better?" She wanted to leave but I wouldn't let her. I just CANNOT live my life like that. Ok, so I'm not getting any dates that day (which is what I told her incidentally to make her laugh). And I may have looked stupid, but she is the one who thinks I need a swim wig. I say, I am what I am and I am definitely more than the sum of my parts. I think by not freaking out, I recovered fine. No, I didn't get any dates, but there was no extended laughing, nor was there any sympathy clucking either.

Some of you who have encountered me before have seen that I am finally approaching dating. So all these personal ads and guess who ends up working out for me as a date? Some guy that I have had a major crush on for about 5 years but he lives not in the same city as me and he knew me before my hair ever thought of falling out so I just went through the should I tell him before or after he flies out here for his first date visit. He says if the relationship works out he is willing to relocate. So, unless it comes up naturally in conversation I have decided not to tell him until he gets here and tell him in person. I plan to meet him in a wig that is different than what is on my FB profile and that he has not seen before as a conversation starter. He may really NOT notice, though. So I'm thinking we might be, um, rolling around a bit before the subject comes up. Does anyone have a funny one for me? I can literally just picture us kissing hot and heavy and me rolling over and leaving the thing on the bed accidentally off my head. I don't really wear them tight unless I"m swimming and clearly that's not quite tight enough! LOL I get headaches. I just don't like them tight. Anyone wish to share or comment about my Father's Day pool mishap?

Views: 1229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks....Those were some of the funniest memories with Alopecia I have. There's been other incidents too but none as funny as jealous scouts and awesome priest guy.

I like your story about the Girl Scouts, storm....yeah, I can see why joining up with them would have been a mistake....like joining a sorority......ugh...

Yeah it was but ironically what I love about me best (my baldness) was my ace in the hole. They got in bigger trouble in the end....They wanted to feel offended because I was bald they made themselves look pa-thet-ic. Looking back on it I still laugh. Hard remembering all their attempts to not be seen with me.

Years ago I worked in a call center for a phone company in Melbourne. One of the girls walked past me and for fun grabbed my headset as I was mid conversation with my customer. But the wig came off with it! So there I am sitting in the middle of the call center wigless and the poor girl is standing there dumbfounded with my wig and headset in her hand. I say hey give me back my wig! I smiled and continued with the call. When the call finished 5 mins later and went looking for the girl because I knew she was upset. She didn't know I wore a wig. Not many people did. The ones that did know laughed with me. She sat her desk weeping. I went to her hugged her and said hey get over it no harm was done and look out I'll get ya back next time :)

I usually wear head wraps or hats. So one day My son and I were at the park and while I was holding him on my lap he began to tug on my head wrap. My heart began beating 100 miles per minute, especially as the onlookers were getting curious as to what was beneath it LOL. So he finally got a good grip if it and slipped completely off Voila'. I heard some snickers from the onlookers, but I was so tickled by my son's facial expression that I asked him "Hey, are you happy now?"

Last week my son and I took the bus to run an errand. On this particular day, I was not wearing anything on my head. So my son decides to begin using my head as a drum and started dancing to his own beat. Folks on the bus were chuckling and so was I. I tell you, my kid gets the sense that I am still getting use to the idea of being bald. In his own baby wisdom, it's like he's saying "relax already".

Aww that is so cute. Your son sounds like a sweetheart.

Wow, these stories are funny to read - but I can tell you my first incident wasn't funny for me - I giggle now but not then. This will date me! Back when Dirty Dancing first came out, I was out with a group of College and Career students from our church. We were at a park and it was dark except for the lights of the lamp posts. This guy came up to me and grabbed the sweater that was hanging over my shoulders and said "Let's Dance" Off pops my hair!!! I dove beside my car and put it back on and just sat there. I was mortified! He sat down beside me and said he had no idea and if he had he would have been more respectful of my space......he was in a relationship with another girl and she ended up breaking off the relationship with him because she couldn't handle listening to him talk about how bad he felt........I have been married to him for 21 years!

Plumeria, I LOVE the ending to your story! May you be married to him for at least 100 more years!

i was at the beach one time with a big group of friends who i never came out about my alopecia to, and while we were in the ocean a big wave came up behind me and took my wig with it. mortified i immediatly dove underwater and was not coming back up without that hair piece! an angel must have been in my presence that day because i dont know if you have ever lost anything in the ocean (many pairs of sunglasses for me) but it is very rare you find it again. right as im sure i was turning blue in the face from lack of oxygen, i feel the tangled mess of my wig float back into my hands with the tide and i threw it on my head...not even facing the right way just as you had. when i burst through the top of that water like a scene from a fucked up mermaid movie all my friends were staring at me in shock. they thought i had been drowning, which was partly correct besides the fact it was a self inflicted drowning. luckily for me i had the, "i got caught in a riptide" exscuse and they laughed about it the rest of the day with nobody bringing up how my bangs had managed to move all the way to the side of my head when i escaped nearly "drowning." it was a mortifying experience at the time but im glad it ended well and i can now look back and laugh about it, and also be able to share this story with someone else who can understand it the same way i can. since then i have invested in wig tape...and while it rips off my scalp when i try to take my wig off (im exagerating, somewhat) it satisfactorilly does its job as far as keeping my head from being exposed at the wrong times. i wouldnt want to accidentally blind anyone with its shinyness ;-)

Wow, Kristin...that is SCARY....

I am not a "water" person...I don't swim......but I can understand why you did what you did.....

You. Are. Awesome. This post really did make me smile. I haven't lost my wig in public yet but I keep waiting for it. My friends are always scared that their skirts will fly up on a windy day but they always laugh when I remind them that I might have my hair fly off. Big fear of mine but you handled your wig mishap like a pro haha. Thanks for the story!

One day in the mail walking and we stopped a few feet away from a group of teens. My husband leans me back and kisses me. My wig flew on the floor and there was not one mouth shut. And I could here the gaps.
Or the time the wind hit so hard and I was walking with my friend it my wig became airbound she ran after it stepping on it calling it a bad dog. The expressions around this street should have been put on YouTube!
Now my kids hate my wig. They do not like to see me wearing them. At home I never wear it. And my grandkids if they see me in public will grab my wig off and tell me it looks dumb.
We are who we are.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service