I'm curious about the ways in which people have approached telling people. Up until now I've felt that this is personal and didn't want to discuss or tell co-workers. Now I'm starting to feel like it would be a load off my shoulders. I'm sick of spending two hours getting ready & hiding my spots in the mornings. I'm at a new job - only in my 4th week. Everyone is really nice and I do not fear not being accepted, I just don't know how to approach it.

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dana,
I just took a new job too, I had worked one day every two weeks for about 1yr before I took the permanent position, most everyone at my old job knew, as I told everyone with my last great big fall out, like you I was desperately trying to hide it, I managed to get through that rough spot and all my hair grew back thicker and better than before, but I'm losing again, and of course dreading the worse, I've actually mentioned my AA to several people at the new job, even before I started losing again, I don't know if this is the answer, but I knew if it all went or I couldn't hide it and wore a wig, everyone would notice I had a wig on, I mean come on, you go to work one day with thin, moth eaten hair and the next you have a whole head of hair, no matter what people say everyone will notice, and this is probably the most insecure thing for me (wearing a wig) sometimes I just wish it would all go now, and I could get a vacuum hair piece and be done with it. But as far as telling people, my reasoning is they know somethings not right anyway, and I would rather they know the truth than speculate amongst themselves, and it raises awareness of AA in the long run. In the end we each have to make that decision for ourselves. Please let me know what you decide, and the outcome, I could use the encouragement right now myself. Christine
hey i have told every1 about havin alopecia, i wanted people to know wats goin on, it gives u great support wen u need it, my family work collegues and friends have bn amazin, i wouldnt have gotten thro the last few months without them, and it helped wen i wassad and upset at work i had the support at all times, as some days i have felt terrible, hope u decide wats best for u, gd luck x
I told everyone - family, friends, dance class students, as soon as the bald spots became too noticeable to hide. I didn't want anyone to think I had cancer. When I shaved the last of my hair off a couple of months later, I sent photos of the new me out by email. It was hard at first, but very liberating to not have to worry about people "finding out". I went from being afraid to go swimming because my bald spots would show when my hair was wet, to walking up to pool proudly bald. It's a relief to just be yourself, but I know it may take time. Good luck!
Mary
Thanks everyone. I do like the grapevine approach...I use that with extended family. :) You all are the best and I don't know what I'd do without your valued opinions sometimes.
It is personal, and I tend to be a private person anyway, so it was hard for me. Although I felt so much better when I did open up with people about alopecia. There's no right or wrong. I didn't just blurt it out to everyone, just in conversation, if "hair" or something related came up and I felt it a good time to say something, I did, if not, I didn't. After going to my first NAAF conference several years back, it really inspired me, so upon returning home decided to get with our local paper that reaches around 80 thousand, and get them to run an awareness section about alopecia, they took pictures of me with my hair piece on and without and also put in the article. I was like, "whew!, I can't believe I've done that!" I have to say, I was proud of me for having the courage. You just have to come to terms with it, and be comfortable in your own skin. :-)
Wow- All very inspirational. I just started hair school.. haha! Yes I know, Hair School. Nobody knows I have it cause I can hide it. But, I know that there is a cycle that we talk about skin problems and Alopecia is one of them. I have been contemplating if I should just announce it then so people know that it is not gross. Just a normal condition that anyone can have. I would love all of you inspiring people to give me advice too. Dana, I know exactly what you are feeling!!
Stacy, I think it's especially important that hairdressers are familiar w/ Alopecia. I can tell you from experience many years ago, how uncomfortable it made me to have to explain the disease to one who was uninformed. I think it would be the perfect opportunity to bring it up when they discuss it....I know easier said than done but seems we are all waiting for the perfect chance! Do you ever work on eachothers hair?
Thanks Aimee! I completely agree. I just need support like this to be able to do it. I am so thankful that I am finally after 21 years. Finding such an awesome website! And hopefully new friends! :)
It was my stylist who first noticed my AA too!! And she had no clue what it was - in fact she said the only time she had seen someone's hair fall out in a patch it was related to a tumor!! So I left the salon in hysterics! I agree- it's a great opportunity for education.
Dana- I think that is what has been the hardest for me. Because part of the excitement of going to hair school is playing with each other hair. I have just told people that I have a friend that does my hair ( which I do) and I just wont let anyone else touch it. It stinks! All of my friends are hairdressers already and they all know. So I dont know why I care. But I think once I let everyone know. I think I want it to be part of my trait when I do hair so the word can get passed along to others with alopecia. That way, people can come to me, and guess what. I have it too :)! I just need the courage to actually do it.
Courage....yea, I could use some of that too. :)
Well that is what we are all on here for!! So we can remember that we are not alone! :) and we can make this as bad as we want or as good.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service