I haven’t posted on this site in quite some time as I have sort of stuck my head in the sand hoping that it would just all go away. Well it has, the hair I mean. My daughter, Rebecca, has had alopecia since right before her second birthday, she is now 4 years old. Currently she has only about half a head of hair. We hear the common comments from people, “oh someone cut her own hair” or “wow the doctors didn’t do a very nice job shaving her head” or my all time favorite “how long has your daughter been in treatment”. It just breaks my heart. This past week we started a ballet class and her classmates all have these beautiful lush heads of hair. I sent my daughter in a hat but she just would prefer to have nothing on her head at all. I guess I should be very happy and blessed that she is currently comfortable with the fact that she only has half a head of hair. But I sometimes just want to break down and cry.

I know many of you have been the dermatologist route. We have not. We have toggled between Cobra Insurance, Medical and nothing over the past year and a half while my ex husband and I have gone through a divorce. I feel like a failure as a mother that I have not been more proactive on her condition. We have tried little things like rosemary hair oil and we use tea tree oil shampoo. Obviously these small efforts are not promoting hair growth. I have been reading the different discussions here and trying to determine which treatment to pursue. It is all so very confusing. Since our insurance is currently questionable, I want to pursue some over the counter methods. On a temporary basis, I am even ok with the remedies that only work as long as you continue treatments.

I would love to get some feedback on some over the counter ideas that I can try and any known side effects on a 4 year old.

Views: 1088

Replies to This Discussion

Hi...I was just wondering where you all recommended taking my daughter to get allergies, blood, minerals and all tested??? We've been doing cool laser therapy and acupuncture, but no such luck. Our acupuncturist did muscle testing with applied kinesiology and gave her herbal "tummy' meds...she hates taking them and the dr. says it's probably helping to kill off the "parasites' (that we all have) and any other stuff that's built up in there. just wondering ...
Thank you!
Lisa :)
Hi...I have found the N.A.E.T. allergy elimination to be very helpful. I have seen "hopeful" signs for my 12 yr old daughter and this method helped my son clear many allergies that triggered bad symptoms for him...on their website they give a list of practitioners from everywhere...

http://www.naet.com/
Lisa,

Your best bet is to find a holistic practitioner as Julie suggested. If you have no success with that site, just google holistic/naturopaths in your area. You're bound to find someone. Also, check your local library, rec centers, etc. for brochures of alternative practitioners. We have one called Pathways in the DC area. I'm hoping to find a new one for our children since we have relocated from NY to VA. You may also be lucky enough to find a traditional pediatrician who listens and would be willing to take this road with you. Good luck and never give up...success is around the corner!!
I am new on this site, and I know you posted this awhile ago, but I found this very interesting since my son Austin has universalis AND eczema, mollescum, and severe food allergies (milk and eggs). I have never heard anyone discuss the possible connection. If you have any further information on this I would be very interested. Thanks!
I personally have not found a connection with a food allergy and my daughter's Alopecia but I have not explored it very thoroughly. We had some blood tests run and everything came back negative for allergies and thyroid issues. I do have a friend from this site that was going to go glutten free. I will ask her if she is still gluten free and if she has noticed any positive effects from it.
We've tried diet, naturopathic, cortizone shot, thymuskin and creams. Nothing seemed to work for long if at all. My 10 year still has most of her. She loses a patch while another patch grows in. She's had it for 2 1/2 years now and she isn't worried about it at all. She never cares when here bald spots show and she knows that she could lose it all at any time. Since she isn't worried about it, I just ignore it. So far it seems to be seasonal with the loss occuring during the spring and summer month. She was also just diagnosed with scoliosis so I will be seeking a chiropractor for that. This is another of those problems that science and the medical community don't know how to fix. Figures. I'm so sick of our medical inadequancies. We'll see in chiropractic can help with any of her many problems.
You are not alone in your feelings. It is sad to say, I have found no direct cure at this time.
BUT , I do "feel" there are triggers that can bring on episodes or cycles as I have read here.
No scientific prof has shown stress as a trigger. My daughter's hair loss seemed to coincide with trauma that was introduced in her life. I am embarrassed to say that our struggle for parental supremacy(custody) may have contributed to the full unset of this autoimmune disorder. Like her asthma, if she is upset or gets excited, asthma is soon to fallow.
Recently, I had not seen my daughter after 2 weeks due to not honoring an time exchange. After picking her up this weekend, I noticed her eye browse were almost gone. I wanted to cry. But we made jokes about it instead. Like, wow what next, maybe your ear might fall off, then your nose and after awhile we will have to carry you around in a cup full of left over parts and pieces ! She still laughs at the thought! The only cure I know, is to fight strees. With laughter, acceptance and love.
I can totally relate to you Alayna's dad. I went on a 17 day vacation without the kids. When I left my daughter had a "mohawk" when I got home she was completely bald. I believe that Becca's problem is definitely stress related to some degree. I feel your pain on the shared custody....my divorce was final 18 months ago but we still have a battle of the witts and the ones that suffer the most are the children :(

We did buy a wig and now that the heat waves seem to be over she wears it occasionally. Her kindergarten teacher is very supportive about letting her wear hats in class and when children asked a ton of questions to Becca about her wig she stopped the class and had a quick summary about how it is fake hair "wig", and went on to tell the kids it's hard for to have 25 children asking the same annoying question over and over, and to be respectful etc. I was volunteering in the class that day and i have to say I was very impressed at how the teacher handled it and how the children responded.
Hi

I don't believe stress is the answer to this conundrum. I believe there is way more to this - genetic, environment, emotion may all have a part to play but at this time there really is no truly definitive answer.

When stress is quoted to you or your child as being the cause I feel it causes the child and you to feel like you can somehow control this condition. Maybe you are thinking if I could get my child to be calm and serene all the time her hair will surely come back???This isn't how it is with most dealing with long term extreme alopecia.

My daughter lost all of her hair when she was 12 years old - puberty could have been the precursor - but no definitive answer there, we couldn't control that one anyway. At 14 her hair regrew (about 75%) she was no calmer or more stressed when this happened. At 15 her hair fell out once again - plus eyelashes and brows - she became AU. At 16 she regrew 97% of her hair - actually through a very stressful exam period. At 17 years old it fell out again (no particular stress happened for her - middle of the year and feeling pretty good except her hair was falling out again - which is stressful). At 18 her hair regrew again 97% all hair returned on her body face and scalp. It stayed around through another rough exam period and until the middle of the next year. Then just after she turned 19 it fell out again. She is now 20 and once again having regrowth.
She can't control this and I don't like the thought that people suppose you can by being calm or not experiencing stress- stress is part of life. Most people I have met with alopecia are no calmer or more stressed than the rest of society - all types, all personalities seem to get alopecia. Be careful when you are talking to your children as to imply that they have control by saying it was caused by stress also implies that they caused their own condition in some way - and they didn't. This is something that has happened that is nobodies fault and need not have blame put on you or anyone else about it. That's too hard for a little person to handle.

Lara and Alayna's dad - you have truly gorgeous little girls with pretty fab parents that are doing their best to cope with a condition that is challenging. Keep exploring this site and educating yourself about what others think and understand.

Hugs

Rosy

PS. I have never used any medications or treatments for my daughters alopecia - every regrowth period was because of natural remission which is not rare especially with children. :)
Rosy-
Thanks for the feedback. i guess I feel like stress is a contributing factor because everything started at the point my marriage fell apart. It's hard to not feel responsible for my daughter's Alopecia.

I appreciate hearing from you and the others in reference to personal and from the parent point of view. I just wish there was a cure....

-Lara
Thank you, Rosy. I have been hearing the blame game from my family. And it easy to buy.
When your looking for reason.
Lara
Most importantly do not think that you are a failure as a mother ... the very fact that you are here shows that you care so much. I think its just that we as mums are unable to find the magical fix that makes it sometimes so painful. Throw into the equation a marriage breakdown and your stress levels would be so high - I went through same so empaphise with you so much
My daughter is nearly 13 and has had a cycle of alopecia since she was 2 - last year she lost all her hair, eyebrows, lashes and body hair...it was the toughest thing to see. When I look at her today I know that she faces challenges but we decided that the best approach wasnt to use all our energies looking to the latest solution and exhaustive diet changes etc - but to teach Sammy that she was what mattered and let her work her way to understand that - at 12 yrs old she decided herself that she didnt want anymore treatments - she got her wig, had her friends and moved to high school. I am proud of her
To sum it up, be by your kids side, cry when you need after they have slept and just reinforce everything positive about them - they are not alopecia, it cannot become all consuming to them

I wish you the best, share whenever you d like to

Loraine

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service