we have a few threads about oral Xeljanz treatment but nothing dedicated to information about the topical form. The cream seems like it would have less systemic side effects (more suitable for children?)

Are the people who have been using the cream getting it prescribed specifically as topical, or are you being prescribed it specifically or are you being prescribed oral and having it prepared as topical?

is there a separate trial being run for the topical version?

Does the topical treatment warrant a distinct information thread separate from the oral treatment?

My son is too young to participate in any trials, particularly of oral medication, but I'm curious what will be available to him in the future

thank you! 

Views: 19231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on information obtained from Dr. Christiano's clinical study into the use of topical Xeljanz, I contacted a compounding chemist and inquired if they could manufacture the cream. Below is the record of our email exchange. In summary, the chemist concluded that making the cream was probably not feasible, though it remains a possibility that I misinterpreted Dr. Christiano's method for how she made the cream.Note: The prices quoted are in Australian dollars.

----------- Me ------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam

As you are a compounding chemist, I would like to enquire if you can manufacture the following:

A topical cream, to be applied to the skin, derived from Pfizer Xeljanz (Tofacitinib) 5mg tablets.
To create the cream, the tablets would need to be dissolved in Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and used at 3%.

----- Compounding chemist reply ------------

We could potentially make a cream using the Pfizer Xeljanz tablets (we have done this with other commercially available tablets but none that are quite as costly as the Xeljanz- over $1600 for 56 tablets ). We would need information regarding the intended treatment and another script from the Doctor requesting the tablets be compounded in the DMSO base.

----------- Me ------------------------

As you mention, Xeljanz is costly (over $1600 for 56 tablets of 5mg each). To give me an idea of whether or not producing the cream is financially viable, please could you provide me with an approximate idea of how many Xeljanz tablets would be required in order to produce 30 grams of cream.

----- Compounding chemist reply ------------

To make 30g of a 3% cream, the total amount of drug required is 0.9g.
This is equal to 900mg therefore it would require 180 tablets to make a 30g cream. I don’t think this would work as it would be 4 boxes of tablets so extremely expensive and the amount of powder in 180 tablets would be too much to add to 30g of the solvent. Maybe a much lower strength of cream or if the active ingredient were available in its raw chemical form (without all the excipients involved in tablets). This active ingredient is only available in the commercial tablet at present.

Thanks for sharing this Scott.

You're welcome. I emailed Dr Christiano a few weeks ago in the hope that she would provide clarification on why the chemist was not able to replicate the cream, but so far I have yet to hear back.

Thank you for posting this. I am hoping they bring the cream to trials soon.

Hey all, my wife just received her first tube of topical Xeljanz. I was wonder if any has tried the cream along side the oral.

My wife is on oral Xeljanz twice a day, and she is considering testing the cream out once a day.
Same question from me did you get this cream through your dermatologist in nyc? How much was it for a tube? And your wife had full regrowth right? How do you want to test the cream now? I wouldnt reduce the oral xeljanz if i were you

hi where did u order the cream from bro? pls link me

seconded

I am also very interested in this. I have teenage members in my family affected by Androgenetic Alopecia. 

I am very motivated to join together to find a real solution for hair growth.

To encourage and remind researchers and companies that there is a real need for potential products that can restore hair, 

I am starting a Hair Growth Now Letter Writing and E-mail Campaign. I will write to all the companies, researchers, etc. that I hear about who have a viable solution started, thanking them and encouraging them in their research, letting them know how much it would be appreciated. I have a Logo for my campaign, just need to take some photos and start the process. 

I know and appreciate that Alopecia is different than AGA, and has its own research system set up. But, I do feel all who have alopecia in its many forms could benefit from alternative future treatments coming in the future. 

Anyone interested in joining me on my Hair Growth Now Letter Writing and Email campaign?  

Beth

Hi Mariah,

I would love to send you a sample of the Letter Head for the Hair Growth Now Letter Writing and Email campaign. Feel free to make suggestions and improvements. 

I see so much research going on, but, you never know what is really going on behind the scenes. So, I am reaching out to companies, researchers with studies in progress in the hopes of encouraging them in their research. You never know what it is going to take to get another solution for alopecia. 

Please send me a pm and I will be glad to send you a copy of the letter head.

Thanks for your interest,

Beth

Hi Mariah,

I sent you a friend request, in response to this post. I am not sure if that is the same as a pm?

I've come down with a bad sinus infection this week, so I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I am very interested in helping my teen any way that I can.

Thank you,

Beth

Hi Beth - count me in, I have a teenager who is going through this disorder. I will pm you shortly

Thanks
Jags

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service