I was wondering whether anyone has/knows about anyone who has treated a dysfunction with their body that has resulted in remission of alopecia?

i vaguely remember reading an abstract from a medical journal about someone suffering AU and also had helicobacter pylori and once treated went into full remission of alopecia.

In my circumstances, I'm thinking of checking on some things with my GP in the near future;
a few years before my alopecia i think i was likely diagnosed with iron deficiency however it was not confirmed and im likely to get my thyroid function tested, and testosterone and estrogen levels just to rule out a few 'possible causes'

Anyone?
just curious!

Views: 4918

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was also told I have an iron deficiency like a year before I was diagnosed with alopecia

It s mot nutrition its our t cells and Antagin that are not functioning riight! I just had a complete loss and had tons of labs done everything was NORMAL! Ive been om 5000iu vitamin D and Multi's for 2 years., some growth then everythings gone! Sorry but I don't believe diet helps it much. I do stay away from processed Keats and junk food though. GOOD LUCK

My daughter took allergy shots and her hair grew back. When we stopped the shots it fell out again. I suppose it gave the immune system something new to mess with.
My concern now and will be addressing is yeast overgrowth. Caused by years of asthma steroids. I will report any change.

Hi all. First post ever. Earlier this year, I decided to seriously address what I conclude is Insulin Resistance, which based upon my research, contributes pretty heavily to Androgenic Alopecia through increased androgen production and chronic low-grade inflammation. I went on an all meat and fat diet, with weeks rotating raw meat (yes...I know) and cooked meat. The meat and fat were grass-fed and grass finished, or when I ate a non-animal source of fat, it was organic and unrefined. No fruit, no veggies, no alcohol - my carbs were strictly limited to whatever was in the meat (organs and muscle meats). It took two months, but the hair loss stopped cold. There were a few issues though, mainly, who in the hell can keep up with a diet like that? You can't go anywhere and everyone looks at you like you've lost your damn mind when you start chewing on raw meat. I went back to a mix of protein, fat and carbs and while it took a solid 4 months, the hair loss resumed. While I don't think that dietary experiment is appropriate in the least for the long-term, it definitely showed me diet plays a major role. I think it worked (now this is just a guess) by raising my testosterone levels, which either stopped or slowed my body from converting excess estrogen into DHT. Obviously, I am a total amateur here, but it did work for as long as I did it.

I lost all my hair three months after taking birth control pills when I was 50 years old. I stopped the pills and my hair came back completely three months later.

I had beautiful hair for 6 years but started to loose it again in patches after starting medication for high blood pressure. Don't know if there is a connection. I have started DPCP treatment in April, no result as of yet.

Marie-Claire

Hi Marie,

I had AA flares on three separate occasions after withdrawing from birth control pills. (three different types of) For me it was a definite repeatable trigger. During both my pregnancies all my hair grew back in, and stayed in for several years. During peri-menopause and menopause I have slowly lost about 2/3 of all my hair. White hairs seem to have been spared. natural colored hairs have fallen the most. It really sucks!

I also have high blood pressure and my alopecia started after an allergjc reaction to ACE inhibitors which made my head swell like a basketball and they put me on prednisone which is a steroid to take the swelling away. At the same time i stopped taking my birth control pill because it increases blood pressure. And then they put me on norvasc to lower bp, which thank God i was not allergic. But a few months later i get an oily rash behind my ears which spread and eventually patchy hair loss began in the sides of my head like ophiasis pattern AA. Weeks later, to my horror, over 3/4 of my thick long hair was gone so I began to shave what was left. My doctor considered it a type of fungal rash and not due to blood pressure meds. If it was due to meds it would be a uniform thinning of the hair and not patchy, he explained. He felt that the steroids, hormone disruption of quitting the pill and trauma of the severe allergic reaction were more likely to be responsible. All these sudden changes caused an imbalance in my immune system which led to overproduction of yeast that become systemic fungal infection of my hair follicles. And that was what resulted in my AA symptoms. This was about a year ago and after taking a 4 week course of Diflucan and using prescribed Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole 2%) i only have 2 tiny patches of baldness left, the rest has regrown thick as a rug! Its taken a whole year but its a major progress nonetheless. I also have been taking strong probiotics to help rebalance my immune system and also eating spoons of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar every day as well as applying these directly to my head. Judging from my own experience so far, it seems as if AA truly is a manifestation of some type of imbalance or illness in your system that your body is attempting to fight and once that imbalance is corrected the AA seems to decrease. I hope this info helps.

I tried the coconut oil too, a small amount in one area. It didn't help much. How much coconut oil are you using?

And i definitely agree with miss Effincute up there that natural products are by far the way to go. It seems like i am not the first to start going bald after taking prescription drugs.

My little girl have had twice AA, we noticed it is timely correlated with her ingestion of acetaminophen (paracetamol). We are not 100% sure about this but this drug has been shown to induce hair loss and may aggravate the progression of the condition.

I am not treating other medical conditions for my aa, but I do have to use mostly alternative options because I am a nursing mother with a four month old. My aa started in my early 20s. I am now 34. The patches have come and gone, but they are currently at their worst, and they aren't growing back. Here are some recent things I have started; I don't know if they are successful, but I am hopeful.

1. I GROW laser helmet 25 minutes every other day.

2. Aromatherapy treatment once a day (blend of lavender, thyme, rosemary, and cedar wood in base oils of grapeseed and jojoba). US Pharmacist magazine wrote in June 2013 that after seven months, this treatment had 40% success in patients studied.

2 drops Thyme (Thyme vulgaris)
2 drops Cedarwood oil (Cedrus atlantica)
3 drops Lavender oil (Lavandula agustifolia)
3 drops Rosemary oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
3 mL jojoba oil
20 mL grapeseed oil

3. Supplements: fish oil, biotin, prenatal, vitamin D, probiotic, and b12.

4. No artificial sweeteners.

5. Limited caffeine (one to two cups in the morning).

6. Green shakes (nutribullet style).

7. More sleep.

I have a dermatologist appointment set for later in August. I might try the acid treatments since I am so close to a wig. However, this would mean I would have to stop nursing Annie. Not fun. At this point, I just want the hair to stop falling out. Having it grow back would be a super bonus.

Two natural remedies that seem to work for me are virgin coconut oil and apple cider vinegar Eat a couple spoons of both every day. Massage your head w coconut oil before sleep and soak it w ACV 15 minutes or so before taking a shower. You can dilute w some water if its too strong on your scalp. Give it a try.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service