I am wondering if alopecians are actually more evolved than humans without the disorder - our white blood cells fight off our hair follicles which leads me to believe we have stronger immune systems. The only reason our disorder is viewed negatively is because we lose something that been venerated or deemed significant by society for several centuries. Many of my lady friends tell me that they wouldn't have the courage to "do what I do" (go bareheaded), and this is because women's hair has always been seen to signify femininity or sexuality (I think in males, long hair is supposed to symbolize courage). These outdated values hold no truth, as appearance has no way of revealing content. So, if all we're up against is losing a characteristic that is in-hair-ently useless (unless you live in an extremely cold climate), and instead equipped with stronger immune systems, aren't we better off?

Views: 1783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Superior isn't the word I would use. As Gia pointed out earlier, a species evolves. Members only experiment or experience random changes which may benefit or not. This discussion reminds me of the classic rivalry between Professor X and Magneto. ~_~

are you serious? I don't belive the poster was feeling superior--just musing. this section is called "Just for fun, inspirational, motivational"...we are not "lucky" (and clearly you don't feel like we are), we are not more superior, but I'd venture to say we're a lot nicer than lets say...YOU. Clearly any type of alopecia is a disorder, but there are many personality disorders out there as well. I suggest you check out a DSM and figure out where you fall.

Wow. If you only knew the hearts of those you were speaking to and about, surely you would be kinder.

lol @ budgie. I have had aa for so many years that I can somewhat agree with budgie. I also thought that the Jay Leno segment on the "alopecia doll" was funny and I was not offended. Also reminds me of college paper my friend wrote about me. It started out great but then ended about how it was sad that I felt the need to overcompensate for my aa and try and prove that I was better than everyone else.

At least you're honest. lol

Guys, lighten up. I wrote my post partially in jest! If we ARE the future, then great, we're just getting a leg up on everyone but realistically, it is what it is. We all learn to deal with it differently. What works for some people might not work for others. Humor has always worked for me.

True dat! If anything, our sense of humor is perhaps the defining quality of the evolution of our species. AU has certainly heightened this sense in me. ~_~

Disorders are called disorders because they represent differences. The term is applied by an establishment that is charged (and paid) to look for and "treat" disorders. The more disorders there are the more money they make. Not to say I am totally buying it either but if an over active immune system turns out to be an advantage in the long run (remains to be seen) then our commonly used definition of "highly evolved" would apply.

Having no eyelashes to keep dust and debris from irritating my eyes hardly seems to indicate a further state of evolution. On the contrary, my digging suggests that those of us with AU are also more likely to have other health issues, such as asthma and eczema (I have both). Wish I could agree, but I just chock it up to a faulty immune system.

The loss of nose hairs has made me wonder whether my ability to survive elevator farts has been compromised. On the bright side, I have experienced an increase in hearing... possibly loss of ear hairs?

Good evening, that is so interesting to me that you have mentioned this. I think this as well especially when I am awake in bed and thinking about having alopecia. That in some way we are evolved. Hey where is Darwin when we really need him. Peace and joy!!!! Cinder

Hey Cinder, I bet Darwin would be researching the hell out of this if he were still alive. :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service