Hey there, this is only my first proper post, so sorry, but its gonna be long :) I started wearing wigs about 2.5 years ago. Starting off first with a synthetic Jon Reneau & quickly moving on to full lace human hair wigs. I have androgenic alopecia or diifuse alopecia areata (they couldn't decide!) Had been loosing my hair since I was 16, so after years of lamenting, I bit the bullet, shaved the head and got into wigs :) Having lost a lot of my confidence over those years, I'm only now starting to sort of gain it back. I've always wanted to learn how to swim & surf, so have been trying but am struggling to find the right set-up of wig (or wigs) to get me through easily. Since I bond my full wig with tape,I don't really have issues with how secure it is, my question moreso is: Is it possible to continue an active lifestyle, including waterpsorts, whilst maintaining a decent looking wig (ones thats attached to your head I mean :))? I can't afford a Follea etc type wig, plus I think most people would scream if I suggested swimming or surfing in them! I buy cheaper FL wigs from China online, thats all I can afford,theres not a lot available n my area plus I like the lengths & realistic part lines of them. However, I could see them easily being ruined by all this water activity + extra washing; my current wig is already drying out and matting a bit.Also, I don't think freedom type wigs would suit due to price and the presence of head stubble :) Does anyone else do this kind of stuff? And how do they maintain the wig or wigs? It's possible I asking for too much, but I'm still not ready to go au naturel :( any suggestions welcome xx

Views: 43500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there,

I know you mentioned receiving wigs from China. I wanted to just share that we do custom wigs for a low price with 100%Virgin hair. Wigs are so expensive as you mentioned follea etc. are not in the budget for many. This is partially why I started my company "Crown Life"was because my aunt had a hair loss and could not afford quality looking wigs. I initially was selling extensions (and still do) but started with a friend creating the wigs. Once we started it was a hit. We'd love to work something out for you if you should be in the market for a new wig in the future. www.crownlifeonline.com.

If you are a bit nervous about the fact that you are about to make a change, then you should definitely browse through the pictures of different hairstyles again until you feel confident and ready. Even if you are not certain if one of these looks might suit you or not, you can always ask your stylist what his professional opinion is and even try with best lace wigs. After that, you can get down to business and change your look! Agree with me?

The activities you mention would damage hair that grows on your head, so trying to believe a wig, that has been processed many times before it reaches you will stand up to these activities is ludicrous. ANY wig bought from China is not virgin hair. This type of hair costs thousands of dollars IF you ca get it. I recently worked on one of the best known wigs that claims to use only virgin, unprocessed hair, it had faded from black to dark blond without any swimming etc. Natural hair that has not been processed will never fade this much. I was very disappointed to see this.

A great alternative to wearing human hair  is a wonderful high quality synthetic that looks, feels and moves just human hair called Cyberhair®. CreatedHair.com has been offering these for years, as well as out new Water Wig™ which allows water and perspiration to flow right through the cap.  Both are featherweight, hand-tied, super comfy and can be worn for daily wear as well.   Both of these of different and better than any heat resistant fiber on the market.  Not because we offer them but  because we have not been able to find any better fiber or lightweight cap that looks authentic. 

Try this website: http://perueckenkaufen.de/

I bought a swimscarf/wig from them about 8 months ago, and it is still in great condition! The hair arrives super-long, and then you cut it to yur desired length. Very comfortable and reasonably priced.

It says MALE....???  You wear a swimscarf?  I am confused.  Enlighten me.....Who is the girl in the photo?  And the hair?

Hi there!  

Yea, it's a pain.  I have scarring alopecia. One way to maintain your wig is to make sure when you wash it you not only condition it, but put hair oil in it.  Our own scalps produce oil.  If your wig looks dry and frizzy that will help.  That picture of me is not my hair, but it's not a wig.  I have a hair system, that is actually attached to my head and gets realigned every 6 to 8 months.  It is expensive, but not if you budget a little every month. If you are in the UK the National Health contributes to it.  I love it. I work out a lot and it is just part of me.......Everyone thinks it is my hair. 

the best wigs for sports/swimming, etc, would be the vacuum wigs, they would be the most secure type, and they are just too expensive.  I wore them for a few years, but never swam in them, I think even they could come off depending on what you're doing.  I do wear the Follea type, but they aren't as secure as the vacuum, and again they are very expensive also...  I honestly can't see why they are sooo high in cost.  

You might want to consider going without any wig, maybe wear a swim cap?!?!  just a thought!  You just have to find what works best for you and be comfortable in your own skin.  My best to you and God bless! 

Why not trying glueless human hair, easy to put it on? If you have lots of swimming activities, straight hair could be more cozy. check this one, for example:

http://www.vohair.com/human-hair-wigs/glueless-full-lace-wigs/india...

I would suggest you wear a swim cap while you were swiming, it can protect the hair and keep the swimming pool clean.

About wigs,  you can have a look the http://www.hairplusbase.com/wigs

Good luck!

Hi I know what you mean I am going swimming for the first time this weekend and I don't know how I am going to secure my wig because I don't want to wear a swim cap because it irritates my scalp. So what kind of wig tape do you use to secure your wigs? I am new to the web site so I'm just beginning to speak to other people about this. I have had this for about 11 years and I am still not comfortable with showing my head  But I think I am about to just shave my whole head and wear my wigs with tape.

What I've found that works for me with full lace wigs is Davlyn waterproof adhesive, SuperTape, and Walker extra thick scalp protector. You have to start with a clean, dry, unit and a clean, dry, shaved scalp. You put the Walker extra thick scalp protector on around the perimeter (I use two layers and let the first layer dry before I add the second one). Let that dry, then apply a thin layer of the Davlyn on top of the Walker extra thick. I then put the SuperTape on top of the Davlyn in the front, but put the SuperTape directly on the unit in the back. Once I get that set up, I put a layer of the Davlyn on the back perimeter, let it get tacky, then I peel the paper of the tape in the back, and position the unit from back to front. Once the back is set, I then remove the paper on the tape on the front perimeter, and line up the unit. It's important that you let the attachment cure for 24-48 hours before you get the unit wet or get into water. Even at that, I wear a swim cap with the unit because I don't go "au natural" ever. I also don't submerge myself fully in water, so that helps.

The thing to remember with adhesives and tapes is that one adhesive that works one way for one person may have different results with another person because of the person's body chemistry. HTH!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service