I want to start by saying that I am not an expert by any means, nor do I have a medical background. However, I really do think that treatment is best guided by examining the research that has been conducted so far. I have been to two practitioners. One who seemed rather clueless, and the other who I trust has expertise in hair loss, but prescribed something the research indicates will not work (i.e., a topical steroid).

I am attaching an article that was published this year and gives a thorough review of the research conducted so far. It goes into detail about what has been shown to work and what hasn't. If you look at Table 2, it breaks it down nicely. It's important to remember that none of the studies they have included are randomized, controlled trials, which is what needs to be done to definitively establish cause and effect. All of the studies are either case studies or include findings from retrospective treatments, but I think this is the best we have at this point.

I've seen so many women commenting that they've been told nothing can be done, or their doctors don't know what to do. For those exploring treatment options, I highly recommend this article and perhaps showing it to your doctor if they seem unsure of what direction to go in.

Views: 209

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting information, thanks for sharing Jess- 

Jess, I totally agree with self-advocacy!  Thank you for the very useful article.  My derm has made a special effort to keep up with research [I was her first FFA], but I believe I'll review this with her at my next appt. anyway.  Thanks for sharing.

That's great that you think it's working! My fingers are crossed for both of us.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service