I thought I would spread the word and share my daughter's experience with the hair club for kids. My 6 yr old daughter has been wearing a wig for almost a year. Most recently, she got a wig from the kids club. They provide 3 free human hair replacements a year and 8 services for kids age 6-17. I happen to know that if you have a younger child, depending on their age and the case you please they will make an exception. They will make a hair replacement based on your child's hair loss needs. My daughter loves wearing it. It is easy to put on and take off and it is very low maintenance. I wash the hair about 2 times a week. You can blow dry it, curl it, wear it up, swim it..It really let's you be a kid. And my daughter is involved in many sports and activities. She has never had a problem with her hair coming loose or falling off. If you want to get info go to www.hairclub.com and click on kids club. There is a number you need to call to get the application that just requires a doctors signature. They don't ask you any other questions and you will have your new hair in about 8 -10 weeks...I hope this info helps ..If you go to my page the picture of my daughter with a brick wall is her hair club hair. I brought pictures of my daughter before her loss and my husband and I were blown away with the color match and the hair styling. She really got her old look back which was all she wanted.

I will add that when she is not wearing her wig, Sam wears a headband with hair sewn into it. We got that from www.hatswithhair.com. She finds them comfy and wears them on weekends..

Views: 684

Replies to This Discussion

Hello,
My daughter also has a biomatrix hair replacement from hair club for kids. She has had it for about 6 weeks and she LOVES it. Her hair is actually glued onto her scalp and doesnt come off until her appointments to wash her hair and scalp. She really loves this because it feels like her hair.

It is a wonderful program and the people are wonderful at the Raleigh office.
I was surprised to read Taylor's hair is glued. The office in our area said they only use glue in much older kids. I think it is great that she can have that option though. We did not want it glued anyways since Sam is having regrowth with treatment. I am glad Taylor loves her hair. So does my daughter Samantha..
Hi Shana, it's Tony ! I'm so glad to see that Taylor is doing well & the hairclub has been a positive experience. I'm curious about the bonding, how long between appointments ?
Also, has taylor chatted with any other kids with alopecia ? I have tried encouraging Mackenzie, and she did once witha a girl her age but it really never took off, and she has not shown an inclination to try again. I think she might benefit greatly if she could do that, as I fear she feels so alone a lot of the time, I just want her to know that she is not & there are countless other girls just like her. On the positive side, Mackenzie is right now off on a weekend trip with the High School marching band & is doing great. She is active with that & in the school chorus, & the school musical.
i wish they have this in australia. it would be great
My son (8-years-old) had his first appointment on Saturday at the office in Maryland to take his measurements. They were wonderful and are working hard to get the hair in time for Christmas since he told me he only wants 2 things this year -- a wig and Rock Band for Wii. It's encouraging to hear about your daughter's wig staying on during sports as my son is also very active.
How did this turn out? We're just starting the process, and my son is very hesitant to glue something to his head, especially if he has to shave it (he wants to hold onto the little hair he has left as long as he can).

--Sara
Sara, they will give you tape to put it on, not glue. They don't use glue with the little ones. Sam never has had a problem with taping her wig on and keeping it on. I will say however, that in the hotter weather she is able to just peel the wig off her head and right now most of he wig is taped over her regrowth..Good luck! Cindy
I thought so, but when we went to the fitting, they specifically said they were going to use glue and tested him for allergies with the glue behind the ear and told us that they always use glue. I'll have to call the national office back, I get the feeling that the local (cough, 3 hour drive) HC has never dealt with kids.

--Sara
Sara, my club does not use glue on the younger age group. I am sure if you request tape they will give it to you instead. Also, I don't suggest glue right away b/c your son may not want to keep it on all the time and then you can't take it off until you go back. Sam likes her head to breathe at night and when it is hot she prefers not to wear it and wears headbands..Hope this helps.
Cindy:

Even though I've been a member of this site for several months I just saw this posting and have a question. You mention that this piece can be worn up. Can it be worn up in a bun or a loose bun? My daughter Emma has not had a full hairpiece yet. She has not wanted one and has been fine wearing the hats with hair to school,etc. However, she has her ballet dance recital this spring and wants to be able to wear her hair in a bun or as close to a bun as we can get to look like the rest of the girls. I've only looked at full hairpieces a little and do not want to spend alot if she decides she doesn't want to wear it other than for the recital. She also is in regrowth phase and has about 70% of her head now covered with some type of hair/fuzz. Do you think this piece would work for her needs? Thanks so much.
Melissa
I haven't seen one yet, so I can't answer any of your questions. One comment, though, they told us it would take at least 4-6 weeks to make the piece from when we had our first appointment, so something to keep in mind if there's a specific event coming up, IMO.

--Sara
Sara, expect more like 10-12 weeks..They told me 8 and it took 13 weeks..She was fitted at of April and we did not it to the 2nd week of Aug, just in time for school..

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service