This week I read an article on DiversityInc.com titled "7 Things Never to Say to LGBT Coworkers."

It got me to thinking: What might be 7 things people should not say to a bald woman at work or anywhere else, for that matter?

I immediately thought that such a list would certainly include statements like the following:

1. I thought you were a man.
2. Are you a lesbian? (Or, are you straight?)
3. I see who wears the pants in your relationship.
4. You need a wig!
5. No man wants a bald-headed woman.
6. Is it contagious?
7. I thought you had something!

It goes without saying that such ignorant and insensitive statements are downright insulting to bald women. Moreover, as an integral part of creating alopecia awareness, we must be sure to debunk such myths and madness and, thus, help make the world a better place for all people living with hair loss.

What are some other things that people should never say to (or about) bald women?

Views: 984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great post mate.. "_+

'Ewwwwwwwwwwww thats disguussstttiiiinnng'

Yup. I had this the other day. Very loudly. Was so lovely! 2 vile little girls - I reckon about the age of 10 - at the Ikea check out. I know you arent supposed to hit random children but I was very tempted.

Their Dad was some simpering spineless man who shot me an embarrased half facial expression with a wonky shoulder raise as if that was going to make it all better.

In all the times that children have said something - I have never had such a useless parental response. Usuaully the parents try and explain or shush the child if its being loud to try and explain something or other later - but all managing to put themselves in the other persons position. Not this one. F-ing horrible little man.

(excuse swearing - tis still p+ssing me off)

"Are you a buddhist monk?"

I'm a buddhist but how come monks do part time job in supermaket!

I once knew a buddhist monk who worked part time in a cafe ;)

OH! I wish I could see her.

one that I never liked was " must be awesome ... just think of all the wigs you can get"

I always get called a guy especially in uniform...then later on after they stick their foot in their mouth they try to make up for it by saying a really pretty guy...that doesn't make it feel any better. Or when I explain what it is that makes me bald the reply is almost always "oh thats cool" How in the hell is it cool?!! I just think to myself you try loosing all your hair and tell me its cool...

100% Agreed

Being a more mature woman with alopecia, I got a lot of comments from other women in my community who assumed I was dealing with cancer treatment and wanted to share their experiences. I felt bad telling them I was really healthy and it was “ just alopecia”. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service