Does anyone else feel like they are totally naked when they go outside with nothing on their head?? I feel so exposed at times. I mean its getting better but still I have that feeling. I have bared my baldness to my coworkers due to being so hot I couldn't stand it any longer. They were really supportive and nice, but I still felt naked. How do you all overcome that feeling?

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel the same way most of the time. Around my college apartment and at home i go around bald all the time. but the second i go out, i cover it up. i'm slowly getting to a point where i don't need to cover up all the time. i just keep telling myself that it doesn't matter what other people think.
Wow, Char, if you've been able to be bald in front of coworkers, I'd say you have really made remarkable strides in acceptance and coping. Yes, I feel very vulnerable and scared about going bald in public. I think it must feel a bit like being naked -- and as a result I never have been outside the house without my hair! I have been brave enough to appear in a scarf but never bald. And I've been AU for eight years so I don't think I'm making a lot of progress! LOL I wish I could be more like you!
Well I work as an STNA and it can get really hot at times, running back in forth. I was like enoughs enough, I'm gonna pass out if my head doesn't get some air. I wear bandannas to work and sometimes to other places. Depends on how lazy I am that day and how dry my scalp is. But I still feel exposed.
I think it is just a matter of time. I no longer wear wigs, in fact I hate my head covered at all now. But in the beginning I felt the same way. The more I got use to not having something on my head in public the more I forgot about it.
I am in the same place as Cheryl. I wore hairpieces religiously for about 8 years until I finally got tired of it in college. I still spent the next year or two always wearing a hat or bandana. Gradually I became more comfortable completely bare, but it definitely took time. Now I only wear hats when the weather is chilly and usually take them off the minute I enter a building. Most of the time I 'forget' that I am bare and wonder what people are looking at when they stare. My friends admit that they are the same way; used to me this way and think I look weird in a wig.
However, I do wear a hairpiece to work. I went through a really bad experience with asking my boss to go bare at work and ended up losing that job (due to many factors, not just the Alopecia issue). Almost all of my coworkers now, know about my alopecia, including my boss, I just choose not to make it an issue in the work place. For me, putting on hair is as habitual as putting on underwear. Some people have to wear specific uniforms for their jobs... my wig is my uniform.
I like sara totally forget that i dont have anything on my head. I usually go bald. I wear a wig once a year for halloween. Before that i didnt leave my room with out my wig. i only came off for showers and sleeping. I stopped wearing my wigs in the 7th grade only a month after coming to my frist NAAF conference. I wear hats when i am going to be int he sun a long time or it is cold. My friends even forget asking me for a brush at times. And i answer what is that? I do not notice people looking at me anymore because of my hair. I think it is cause since i do nto make it an issue they dont either. I sure people still stare but i pay no attention to them.
when i am out in the sun for a long time i put on a high factor suncream over my head the same one i use for my face i have never been burnt yet and it prevents the tan-line
My wife, who I believe is just stunningly beautiful when she is bald, still wears a wig or a headscarf most of the time in public, mainly because she doesn't want to attract too much attention to herself.
She know she looks sexy and beautiful as a bald lady.
Many bald women are sexy and beautiful. There is nothing quite as gorgeous as a pretty bald lady.
Is there a site where we can find men like you who appreciate us?! lol Im kidding...there prolly is though!
For me to overcome that feeling I first had to feel comfortable in my own shoes. It took a lot of my own personal time for that to occur as well as the online support I was getting from other groups. I really tried to stay positive and only spoke to people who were confident with their alopecia. The second thing I had to do was remember what I learned in drama class. There was this excersise where everyone would try and make you laugh but you had to keep a straight face. I found this extremely helpful just based on the fact that I couldn't even make it on stage without grinning from ear to ear. I got very good at just turning it off and applied the same thing to my alopecia. Just get out there and do it, don't think! I know it's hard not to think when a) you're at work and b) you're around tons of people and I think like Cheryl said it just takes time. Good luck!
The only time I feel naked going bald is when it is cold. When my head gets cold, the rest of me gets cold. Honestly, I don't think I've ever really felt uncomfortable really being bald as an adult (except on a crowded bus when nobody will sit with you and would rather stand because you're bald and they think it's contagious) but that's okay. I make sure though to take plenty of sunscreen wherever I go so I don't get burned!
Sometimes I wonder if we ever will get over the feeling of being exposed. I know for me I go through stages. There are times I will wear my wig all the time except in my house, and then all of a sudden I will start wearing hats all the time and I don't care who see's me bald.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service