Hi everybody,

I know this has been posted before, but I am looking for your input.
I have done many hours of research on the major wig companies.  Follea, New Hair, Fuller Hair and Peggy Knight and of course the other internet vendors out there.

As you know i have alopecia areata.  I have been completely bald again since July 2009 with no regrowth.  Now of course my eye brows are starting to fall out.  aggg... I have had history with my hair coming back and staying back for about 3 years than it would fall out again...Well I have gone thought this 3 times and I don't know if my hair will ever come back again. 

So with that being said,  I am not looking to get a vacuum piece at this time, unless my hair does not come back in 4 years than maybe I will go that route.  I did have a vacuum piece from locks of love..I really like the naturalness of lace wigs, but the lace wig I have now is sooo scratchy and the hair breaks off like crazy because it was processed soo much.. The pictures are posted on my page with the wigs I have now..

What are your experiences with these companies?  How long did it take to get your piece.  How was the customer service?  Did you have to send your piece back for repairs?  How long did that take? 

Do you know where I can get a good quality lace type wig?  I saw the Follea add,  the follea gripper.  Does anybody have one of those wigs... Sorry my post is soo long.  Any experiences good and bad please... Thanks

-Becca

Views: 4988

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Follea, Peggy Knight and others. It's a new manufacturing technology that's combining the grip feeling of a vacuum with the breathability of a stretch mesh. I like it. I can't say how you would customize a fit or what would happen if you cut through the perimeter because the stretch tension is part of the gripping feature. Think little anti-slip treads on toddler socks. It's not going to budge, but at the same time you will know there is something gripping same as you know the feeling when you have a firm fitting stretch lycra swim cap on your head. Sort of like that feeling but with more air flow.

Thea
baldgirlsdolunch.org
Follow @alopecia
Click to learn about joining BGDL in upstate New York June 27th
Becca,

I know everyone has their favorite. I do too. I have worn a Peggy Knight vacuum piece for over 20 YEARS!!! I think that says a lot about her pieces, customer service and ease to work with. I have never had my hair tangle!!! Also, I just came back from Key West. I took a high speed boat from Ft. Myers. I was not worried at any point if my hair was going to come off. I have been on roller coasters and down waterslides. NEVER any worries. They are costly, but the self confidence and security is well worth it to me. They also last 3 - 5 years!!!

Alyce

I hope you find what you are looking for!!!!
Alyce,

Thanks, I think I found a peice that I am going to get next time :)

I wish I could say that I had a good experience working with Peggy, but I did not. I went with Peggy Knight Solutions because she founded locks of love. The vaccume peices are great but they are too hot for me. I just wish my hair would come back..

-Becca
I have a hot head, too. I prefer the poly-coated lace.
Thought I'd chime in to say that in the Philadelphia area, Jude Plum Salon is selling a version of the Gripper wig. My daughter got one in March and has been very happy with it. I have no idea who the manufacturer is although I am a little curious. We are new at this, but so far, the hair is beautiful, and it is a big relief not to have to worry about glue or tape. We were together in Boston on one of the windiest days I've ever experienced, and everything stayed secure. We just got a 2nd one as well, and I was hoping for a little more of a custom fit since it was manufactured to her specs. It DOES fit very nicely, but there are two small bumps on either side of the back of the wig right above the hairline. I'm not sure but I think my daughter is really looking for a wig that someone can run their hands through and not tell that it's a wig, i.e., potential boyfriends.

The cost was reasonable: unprocessed European hair, about 14" long for about $2,400. I think that's right, she cut me a deal on the 2nd wig so I'm a little fuzzy on what 1 alone cost.
Hi- I live on the main line and my daughter is 7 and has lost most of her hair due to alopecia. I am interested in the gripper that you got from Jude Plum. Does your daughter still like it? Does it stay on easily? She wants a wig she can swim in- but I have concerns about the vaccum wig- first she has some regrowth and that may get in the way of the suction and the comments that it is so hot. Please let me know how you like what you got from Jude Plum. Thanks so much!!
Hi Robin,

I don't have a child with Alopecia, a friend of mine does. The Gripper I saw was from Peggy Knight Solutions in CA. I understand that they have the smalest sizes for childern. You may want to see this for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcuGnjT-12g on youtube. The Gripper can be warn with some regrowth. Now for the swimming part. I have not had anyone try swimming wearing the gripper on a child. This is what I have heard that if the mother or an adudt is wearing the gripper and is in the water splaching and having fun with their children they have had no problem. Now a child would be going under water or down the water slide and I don't have any information from that stand point on how well the gripper stays on. Carmen West, Hairstylist
Hey Becca, I am a hairdresser. Try the DermOrganic hair products that will make a remarkable differance in the hair that you said was frizzy. I recently cut and styled a Gripper and I thought it was beautiful. The hair was beautiful.
Carmen
I
Hi Robyn, my daughter has been happy with the wigs from Jude Plum. The woman at the salon, Theresa, doesn't call the wig a Gripper, but if you describe it, she will know immediately what you are talking about. She is a very nice, very down to earth person to talk to , and I think you will be happy to talk with her and at least know what options she offers. I can't say about swimming as my daughter hasn't tried it. I agree that it would be fine for just playing around in, but I'm not sure it could stand up to a lot of underwater activity. Good luck!
I met Peggy Knight and thought she was really rude and more interested in herself than helping a customer out!

i agree

Amen!  She's not sympathetic with what we're going through at all.  I've had more trouble with my wigs from her and I'm fed up with the lack of customer service.  I had a piece repaired last year, and within months, it was needing repairs again, on the very spot they had just repaired (to the tune of $350).  Now, I just got the quote to have the repair repaired...over $400!  I'm looking for other options.  Anyone have other suggestions as to where I can get a human wig that is similar to the Gripper?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service