How many people on this site just end up bicing the remains and go smooth bald?

Views: 751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank God for the multiple blade razors! I once tried to shave with an old fashioned single blade razor and I was bloody all over my face and head. :) How did they do it in the old days?
I still have a little fuzz after 20 years and my husband reminds me to let him buzz it off when it gets obvious. We both prefer the clean-shaven look when I'm not wearing my 'hair'. Plus, I can't show off my tattoos when they're all fuzzy! Sometimes, we leave a little 'fur' on the cat tattoo just for fun. I laughed at Rachel's comment about looking like a 'rat with plague', that is pretty accurate and funny!! At least now, it grows in white and not dark so I don't have those weird spots to contend with. Plus, if it gets too long, it interferes with the suction on my Freedom prosthesis and I don't want that!
I can’t tell you it isn’t a hard decision to make because it is. It’s a personal choice and when a person is ready if ever they will do so accordingly. My choice to save it all off was only after I lost all the hair above my left ear and around to the neck. I couldn’t cover it up anymore and was shocked when my son took a picture of me holding the baby. I could see this huge spot, I knew then it was time. It took many tears to get to this point and a variety of items used before just using my (GILLETE VENUS BREEZE RAZOR). I used ever time now and it works just fine for me. I shave about two times a week now. It feels liberating to me, but I can’t tell I don’t still have meltdowns. Each of us is built differently and we have to remember what works for someone else may not work for us.

Whatever anyone decides is up to them. I was you the best throughout your Alopecia journey.

Eileen
It's nice to get out of limbo. For most people it feels great. I just don't see any messages from people who decided to "take the plunge" and then regretted it. Maybe someone who is out there with that experience can let us know. There just seems to be a big vote of relief by most people who shave their heads.
We have used both the Gillette Fusion and the headblade. My son Lane who is 6 shaved his head all by himself with the Headblade. I like them both.
Been there! Did it! Did it again recently! And honestly, I don't know what I'd do if my hair DID come back== I have NO idea how to style it! :)
Yup - been there - done that! I was looking like a mangy cat, so I got hubby to carve off what was left. It gave me control of the situation and made me feel as though I, not the AU was in charge! That was 10 years ago. It's grown back, fallen out, grown back in patches, fallen out, grown back white (once) and then fallen out again. Now I just keep the few patches shaved down to nothing, and I'm fine with that.
Way to go Julia! A nice, clean shaven head beats the mangy look any day! I did the same thing 20 years ago when I had the mangy cat look too. Never looked back!!
If you do decide to shave it off - think about joining in on the National Bald Out, July 19! More info in the new National Bald Out discussion Group. Video just posted.

Mary
For me, shaving is too much of an effort. I use a micro mesh electric razor for everyday grooming and the blade only for those special occasions.

I suppose it has everything to do with personal preferences and my only suggestion is to do what's right for you.......

Oh! I think the first time I completely shaved my head because of AT, was one of the most liberating moments of my life! For me, it was the acknowledging act of the futility of the fight and my acquiescence to alopecia. I began to move on......
I started losing my hair 2 yrs ago now and I remember the day I got the bic to my last strands of hair....I took control then over THE LITTLE SHIT (My word for Alopecia) It was the best thing I ever did.
Don't know how many of you remember the slim Cigar advert with the guy who had just one long piece of hair,which he used to pull over the side of his head,after licking his fingers to hold it down...lol...
Well I was fed up of looking like that guy...hahahahaha
I've definitely thought about that before, but I haven't lost enough hair on my head for that to be feasible (at the worst, maybe 50-60% on my scalp?).

But you know what I've thought about doing? Has anyone else thought about getting henna drawings done on their head? I mean, sure, we've got bald spots, but if people are going to stare, at least they're going to have a really good reason to stare! xD

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service