As I am reading all of you guy's comments and 'about me's', i'm learning that your life struggles are much like those many people in the world go through but you don't know how to handle it and cope with it. What I think about alopecia and alopecians is that yes you do have an issue just like everyone else who has medical issues but just because you are not dying does not make it any less of an issue in my book. Here's why:

Think about it.... Remember whenever you would stump your toe on something hard and it hurts you really bad, the pain seems like its going on for forever and a day... you are screaming 'ow! ow!' and everyone around you who's toe is not thumping with pain are all looking at you like 'gee, I know it has to hurt, but umm its not that serious, you just stumped your toe, move on...' right? But to you, at that very moment the pain in your toe is everything in the world to you and it is your pain that no one else can feel. Its just like that with alopecia! Some people around you may be like 'geesh, its just hair, you're not dying, so move on!'.... Say what!? So you're telling me that the teenage girl who just started high school at the top of her class, made the cheerleading squad and all of a sudden lost her hair is not dying inside? Or what about the kid who was a loner and was teased in school already and to top it all off, now has alopecia, so you're telling me that that rope that he/she is contemplating on tying around their neck when they get home from school means he/she is not dying? Come on, you're kidding me right?

What is it going to take? Do we have to wait for a celebrity like Jessica Alba or Oprah Winfrey, for Christs sake, to begin to loose their hair to alopecia to begin to get some sort of medical answer or at least funding?! What is up with this? I don't get it. I think that this whole bit about Alopecia not being serious is rediculous. I mean I know that everyone feels that their problems are the worst, but take it from me, I don't have alopecia, but I feel that this is frikkin REDICULOUS!!! So do something about it already, please!

Views: 20

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Well said!
i couldn't have said it any better! amen to that!
Thanks hun!
You are so right and it is not important enough until a celebrity has the issues and wants to come forward about it... Let it be told, there are celebrities who wear lace wig because their real hair is so jacked up. But they could never admit that they have major hair loss problems.

I have tried to contact both Oprah and Tyra's shows in regards to getting them to devote time to an alopecia awareness show, but I got no answers back from either. Tyra Banks did have one girl on her show that had alopecia and she gave her a make over but to explain the condition in detail and how it affects millions of people and where you can find help give support for the cause, is not good sensationalized TV or it would scare viewers too much... I don't get it either...

So what I do is pass the awareness on business cards when someone takes the time to ask me about my shaved head. I educate with my alopecia awareness cards. And whenever I can up lift and help a fellow alopeicean I will continue to do just that... We have to keep doing what we can and have to do for each other by passing on the awareness!
I LOVE your idea of the alopecia awareness cards! That is sooo cool! Not a bad idea I must say. A good way to educated someone, & maybe even they'll pass it on once they become educated.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service