Hello,

After being diagnosed with AA Oct ‘13 a year later it turned into AU. 6 months (Mar 8, 2013) prior to my AA diagnosis I had tragically lost my shih tzu. He was my everything and it completely devastated me. At that time I also had hashimoto’s but no other known issues.

Understanding more now I truly believe the loss of my shih tzu was the straw that caused my AA to surface and further caused me to research what else was really going on.  In the years to come, I was tested for heavy metal toxins, nutritional deficiencies, adrenals, and food sensitivities. The results painted a very scary picture but I was a bit relieved to finally have some answers and a direction forward.

As I continued my path forward my 14-year relationship had become extremely toxic and abusive. A complete killer on the adrenals. I was often told how ugly I was as I would get ready and also told to “go die” by my boyfriend. If I ever had a chance to recover and get my life back I knew I had to leave this situation.  Although it was an extremely difficult situation I was able to leave and move states away and closer to my family.

I bought a new home and began my new life.  Shortly after moving in I noticed eyelashes growing in. And then white hairs started to come in all over my scalp, arms, and minimally on my legs. I really didn’t know what to make of it all but it was the first time in roughly years 6-7  I wasn’t hairless.

Since then the hairs on my scalp have continued to grow. The back has grown as long as the nape of my neck. I could brush it and twist it into the tiniest ponytail. I would cut it and it would grow back. It has also remained white. It also does not seem to fill in and it is not at a point where I could go wig-free.

I still have eyelashes on the upper and lower lid of my left eye but only lower lashes on the right eye. Eyebrows have hairs but they are translucent just like the eyelid hairs.  

I really do not know what to make of everything. I do believe removing the toxic boyfriend got things moving in the right direction. The adrenals are still not where they should be and I understand alopecia is an adrenal issue as is improving nutritional deficiencies, removing toxins, etc. I am trying to focus on improving these areas and hope it pushes whatever is starting to happen. Would love to hear from others if they have had similar hair growth? Even after all of these years, I continue to have hope. :)

Views: 1292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too continue to have hope. It took about ten years for me to progress from AA to practically AU. I say practically because I have no hair except maybe one or two on my legs. I’ve lost and regrown my eyelashes a few times. I have them now and I’m so grateful! I have no eyebrows, hair on arms. But the weird sparse pure white hair that replaced my bio hair has continued on my scalp. I can’t grow enough to make a difference so I shave it often. I still need to shave the armpits which is a pain, but not as much as I use to have. The way I feel about it is my poor hair is trying to grow still but it’s a battle. Sometimes I can even imagine my hair ever returning to what it was…but still I hope and pray one day it will. I wish someone would explain to me what the white head hair means?? I want to think it’s a positive sign. I hope you continue to see growth.

Hi Christine,

Have you noticed that your white hairs grew back any thicker or your hair became more dense after shaving it all off? I have given trimmed the length but haven't shaved it all off. I guess I figure if its there just let it grow and see what happens. Again, I wish there was more information available to really know what to make of all of this. Wishing you all the best :)

Christine I believe that is vellus hair. I have lost and regrown hair a couple times, always starts out white that falls out and my natural color grows in.  

I had been dealing with AA off an on my whole life, until I went AU in 2005. As opposed to some, AA runs in my mom's family, but so far I am the only one that has gone AU. I am an Asthmatic, and had Psoriasis before going AU. I have since developed Psoriatic Arthritis over the past couple years.

I have been on a Paleo diet now for a couple years and the only doctor I have ever found that was remotely interested in helping me has me on LDN. The problem I have is that I get hair on my head, but when it starts darkening, it all falls out again. I have not gotten back eyelashes or eyebrows at all.

My biggest problem is that people keep telling me that I ought to be used to it by now, and I should just live with it. I just cannot bring myself to do that. Hopefully, when I retire at the end of the year and start working my food truck, things will change.

Hi Turbok,

i know people think I’m crazy for thinking I’ll get my hair back. It kind of motivates me to prove them wrong. I hope it does the same for you.  I did the AIP diet years back and just lost a lot of weight that I didn't need to lose. I never grew any hair back during that time. I have tried most things from A to Z. Removing the things that brought me down got the ball rolling in the right direction. And for years I always thought I had everything under control. Stress, smesh.  I was a pretty calm person who never seemed to let things get to me. After I moved away and began to see signs of hair I realized how toxic the atmosphere I was in really was.  Good luck to you and your upcoming retirement! 

Let me guess:  the people telling you that "you should be used to it by now' don't have AU.  Correct?  If I am wrong and they do have AU, they should know better.  I have always said the hardest thing for me is having people tell me "It's only hair".  Ironically, the people who tell me that cannot leave the house when they are having a remotely bad hair day.  Those same people are very sympathetic towards cancer victims who lose their hair to chemo.  Then again, most insurance companies will pay for wigs for cancer victims, since cancer victims complain until they get what they want, and our society has learned to cater to them or pay the price politically.  AU suffers needs to take a page out of the cancer victims' book and demand that our condition be taken seriously as well.

Similar to you, my AU was triggered by a life loss in 2011.  While I attempted to de-stress, it can be extremely hard.  I was completely bald for 7 years then changed jobs and had some hair growth, maybe 40% of scalp, first fuzz, then darkening than growth of 2-3 inches in spots keeping it for almost a year.  Removing artificial sweeteners, trying to have a better diet and adding exercise helped and I do have some eyebrows and eyelashes now.  However every life stressor, like my mom's health or kid's too busy schedule with work, can trigger another bout of hair loss. Simple food allergies like avacados, can trigger it as well for me. 8 months ago, I thought I'd be ready to go without a wig by the end of the year... now I'm completely bald again.   Still have a quarter of an eyebrow on one side so that makes me happy.  I'm optimistic though and do believe if you can get your stress dealt with in a healthy manner and eat healthy it will grow back.  So happy that you are out of such a negative situation.  Keep optimism and being happy for what growth you have, and I think you will be a success story.

I am happy for you that you are now on the right path.  Sounds like you made the right decision to move on from that relationship and your body is now trying to heal and is healing.  I'm not sure if you have heard of Anthony William, and i would recommend that you check out medicalmedium.com as he does get into adrenal health, alopecia and so much more.... and the reason behind so many health issues.  The best of luck to you on your healing path... "the body wants to heal itself, it just needs the right tools"..

Thank you!  I absolutely follow the Medical Medium!  After reading his books and listening to his sound cloud session on hair loss did I really learn that hair loss is an adrenal issue. I started up recently following the recommended supplements and tinctures/teas in his book for hair loss and adrenal issues.  I am also trying to eat cleaner with more fruits/veggies. Sounds so simple yet I have struggled to remain consistent.  Thanks for mentioning the MM. I hope most people are aware of him because he makes a lot of sense. 

oh that is so great that you are one of those that believes in him and are following his protocols...and yes, reading his books it all does make sense when we can't get any answers anywhere else, other that what drug should we try next...not!     i have followed him for a couple years now and MM info has helped me in a couple ways but since i have scarring alopecia i don't think it will help in that sense.......although i have messaged him on a couple of his lives asking for him to talk about it...who knows he may address it at some point.    i was  listening to his latest live just this afternoon.. i try to catch all of them and can't wait for his new book that he says he just finished....  anyway, all the best to you...just remember it's always one step forward and two steps back, but that's ok....keep fighting!! 

I started losing my hair in 2013 also, losing it all in 2014.  Since then, I've had a little growth here and there, but nothing substantial.  This past year (2021), I began getting growth, resulting in a full beard (all white), eyebrows and eyelashes, and some on my arms and legs.  Anything on my head was minimal.  It lasted from May, 2021, until August, 2021, and then it was gone.  To this day, still nothing and I can't figure out what triggered the regrowth. 

Hi MJ,

I have had my white regrowth for some time. Maybe for the past year or two. Before I lost all my hair I did have the injections into my scalp and brows.  Eventually  it was all gone and there was obviously no more point  to the injections. I always remember the dr saying the areas that would regrow first would be the areas that were injected.  I always waited but I’m not sure if there was really any truth to that.  I saw little hairs starting on the top but then saw those white stray hairs around the back of my neck which was really something. The back length continues to grow and there is all over hair but it is not full by any means.  I’ll never understand any of it.  I think it is good but I really have no clue. I have had eye lash growth and then lost the lashes only to have them grow back but on a different eye. It is hard to not always know why what happens happens. Prior to my move I was seeing an Integrative dr who ran a panel of tests to see what was going on with my body as a whole. My labs, heavy metals continued to improve but I never really had any growth during that time.  If I didn’t have the stress at home killing my adrenals I always wondered if things would have been different.  I really appreciate you sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear that you lost what you had regrown.  I’m hopeful it can come back again.  

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service